TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

What about Brain Drain; the name of the exact same ride at Darien Lake's sister park?

Personally I think the name "Brain Drain" is kind of dumb and I think Darien Lake already has a ride with that name, it's called "Mind Eraser"!

I think any of these names would sound better

. Drain of the Brain

. Head Rush

. Ring of Fire

. Stunt Looper

. Daredevil

. Head Spin

. Chaos: The Ride

What about Brain Drain; the name of the exact same ride at Darien Lake's sister park?

Personally I think the name "Brain Drain" is kind of dumb and I think Darien Lake already has a ride with that name, it's called "Mind Eraser"!

So does Elitch Gardens...

Ah, touche! Still, I would be surprised if Darien Lake used the name "Brain Drain" for their Super Loop since Elitch Gardens and Darien Lake are now under Premier's control and they have been know for "cloning" rides chainwide.

As much as i like new rides, The Loop is going to basically do the same thing as the Ranger. Seems like an odd addition to me in such a small park when there are so many other different ride choices out there in the same price range.

This new ride does do the same thing as Ranger. This most likely tells me that Ranger will most likely be removed. I know it was down for a good part of last year, and I am sure parts are not readily available.

My honest hope is for more than just this ride. I would even like to see a restaurant or something else to improve the overall park experience

As I've said before about how parts for Darien Lake 1980s Huss rides are hard to find since Huss no longer makes Rangers, UFOs, and Swing Arounds. If Ranger goes then Corn Popper would be next since we already lost UFO. The fate of Ranger is questionable for the upcoming season, it may just be SBNO for "refurbishment" then gone by next season ala 'Cuda Falls.

And that's sort of what I was thinking, the potential removal of The Ranger and a new ride with a similar action to replace it. But why not install a Double-Sweep Hawk for better capacity. Anyway, good to see the park is continuing to add new attractions.

I'm sorry, but I'm no good with coming with names for thrill rides with a woodsy theme!

Then don't.

Ah, touche! Still, I would be surprised if Darien Lake used the name "Brain Drain" for their Super Loop since Elitch Gardens and Darien Lake are now under Premier's control and they have been know for "cloning" rides chainwide.

Elitch Gardens was under Premier's control when the ride was named I do believe... Therefore they could very well call it the same thing, but who knows. I do think the name and ideas for it shouldn't really be the main point of the discussion here though.

--

Its sad to know that UFO won't be coming back as it was a cool and unique ride, but it also makes sense considering it was probably pretty hard to get parts for it. Sure, the park could have probably have had them custom fabricated but that would have been very expensive and taken a lot of time. Not really worth it for a such an old ride that isn't going to draw in a ton of people on its own anyways.

I would ttally expect DL's ride to be called Brain Drain, just like at EG. They already have the trademarks and logos pre made making this overall proces a bit cheaper. I just hope they put some lights on the giant wheel as well next year...

I think any of these names would sound better

. Drain of the Brain

. Head Rush

. Ring of Fire

. Stunt Looper

. Daredevil

. Head Spin

. Chaos: The Ride

Can you please stop suggesting names for rides? All of those are far worse than "Brain Drain".

Darien Lake presents "Brain Drain", the successor to "Mind Eraser" - It's response to the creatively wacky and fun "Mind Warp" at Fantasy Island, WNY's up and coming family park with the thrills to make families come back for years and years!

Sorry, but in my opinion, the Mind Warp was one of the best additions to either of these parks (not counting coasters) in a long time. Are there any other rides like it anywhere? I havent really looked into it but I am curious still.

The Mind Warp was fun, but the park never ran the fourth program for the paying public. The fourth program had the rows of seats swiveling from the beginning of the ride. I was told by several ride-ops that they only ran it for the employees in the morning. One more reason I gave up my season pass there. They have so much potential, but it seems they have very little interest in realizing it.

How's Twister running now? I think might ride it this year to see if it's a glorified rocking chair or what?

I operated Riverside's version of this back in the late 90's and there was definitely a positive correlation between the amount of weight on the ride and the quality of the ride, even running the same program. I don't know that I've ever seen Twister full at Darien Lake and the rides have always been a bit lackluster... so I've always assumed that it's primarily a weight thing and that it actually can produce a really good ride if only there are enough people actually riding it.

How's Twister running now? I think might ride it this year to see if it's a glorified rocking chair or what?

I operated Riverside's version of this back in the late 90's and there was definitely a positive correlation between the amount of weight on the ride and the quality of the ride, even running the same program. I don't know that I've ever seen Twister full at Darien Lake and the rides have always been a bit lackluster... so I've always assumed that it's primarily a weight thing and that it actually can produce a really good ride if only there are enough people actually riding it.

They have a 198lb weight limit per person on the twister so I wonder if that has something to do with it. Maybe that is why it has low ridership, because they turn a lot of people away because they look over 198lbs. I can attest to being well over that limit and fitting in the top spin at the Erie county fair just fine, so I suspect twister could hold a 220lb person at least just fine but technically not allowed by the park.

I was looking at that same area jand thinking about the new ride just the other day as well. I am interested to see how they position the ride in that relatively small space, along with what they do for a queue area and so on. There is room to work with, it's just a matter of how they do it. To me at this point, that is the most interesting part.

As for the mini golf, they don't use it anymore, so i would remove it and put some sort of flat ride in there. Personally, I think it would make an awesome spot for a drop tower. It is relatively central in the park and there is lots of room inside viper for a queue

Frankly, I think that a mini golf course is an appropriate attraction for a theme park in general. Mini Golf is more for family entertainment centers than theme park and the same can go for go karts. As for Darien Lake in the case of removing the SNBO mini golf course, I think that area could be used to expand the Beaver Brothers Bay or whatever they're going to call the kiddie land that was formerly known as the "Seaport" since that area has a case of kiddie ride cramping.

Looking at the aerial photo of the UFO location in order to fit the new ride in plus add a proper queue a building or two would have to be demolished. In that photo I can see the building(s) to the right of the former UFO ride pad, which I believe had a Subway in it, as the ones that will be removed.

I'd love to see Viper's queue get some sort of makeover and maybe move the ride's entrance and a relocated queue to where the mini-golf used to be.

How did you get that photo?

I saw that photo in the plan that Darien Lake submitted to Genesee County for the construction, so I would guess DarienLaker probably got it from there.

As for that building next to the area where the UFO used to be... Half of it is Subway and the other half is the old queue for the UFO.

And how do some of us have access to the plan that was submitted to genesee county? If you work at the park, posting something private like that in a forum like this could jeapordize a job.

I do think the area has space, especially back behind the old UFO pad over towards the sleighride. Depending on positioning, the buildings may not even need to be removed. It should prove to be very interesting as I think that is a very pivotal spot in the park for traffic flow and so on.