TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

I do agree 100% with that, but CF and SF are nlt the answer to that. If either of those were to purchase the park it would be run like Michigan's Adventure or Great Escape. When was the last time either of those parks saw a major new coaster? I truly think HFE has the best opportunity for DL actually becoming more of a player in the NE theme parks.

Unfortunately it all comes down to attendance and how much the park as a whole generates in profits. Less people means less overall cash flow, hence less investments. I think HFE has the ability to do the most with less. DL would not be the forgotten about park under HFE like it was under SF management. The cost of Fury 325 is going to be almost 30 million. how long do you think it takes to pay that investment off for a park that draws around 1 million guests a year? Even at the best attendance year in 1999 after the first SF branding and ROS as the major addition attendance was only at 1.5 million or so. Those larger parks draw 2-3 times that much, hence the ability to pay off those large investments much faster.

I will stand by my statement that the best thing is HFE management for DL.

The park could never get rid of alcohol. They make so much money of of it it's astonishing. The price for one can of beer at a concert is ten bucks. The normal price in the park is six.

In regards to the concert venue - it is owned by Darien Lake, but it is leased and completely managed by Live Nation. So the owners of Darien Lake do not necessarily have control over the day-to-day ops of the venue, such as for example, alcohol sales.

If HFEC was to purchase DL, I don't think HFEC would want to take over ops of the concert venue anyways. Having it leased out to and operated by a company in the music industry makes much more sense.

No mater who's going to buy Darien Lake from CNL, I still have no hopes for the "Lake Monster" project happening.

In reference to this, I do recall hearing over and over again that this project was pushed off because of CNL not wanting to fork over the money for it. I remember there being a press release of sorts from some kind of conference where someone of power in Darien Lake mentioned the Predator re-vamp. I'm sorry I dont have the specifics... but I remember them being all ready for it and then suddenly it fell through because of finances - since CNL does make the final decisions so far with money. And who says they wouldn't add a major coaster? Lets look at Dollywood and SDC for a moment shall we? Wild Eagle, Fire-Chaser Express, Outlaw Run and the new 2015 addition to SDC that reminds me of the Boardwalk and Rowdy's Ridge expansions... If Herschend wants to build a coaster and they get to make the final calls - they'll build a coaster. is it gonna be a 500 foot wooden looping strata coaster with 3 LIM launches? no. but it will be a great addition to the park. Beggars cant be choosers. If Herschend does end up buying the park, and they dont add the major coasters that enthusiasts are hoping for... then just drive an extra hour or two north to Canada's Wonderland to ride Leviathan. or go 4 1/2 hours west to ride the coasters at Cedar Point.

I also would love to see a huge addition. but I have full confidence in Herschend - so like others, I'd prefer them over anyone else.

I've heard this multiple times at the park that it seems more and more by the day that HFE will not return and management will once again shift hands. This is quite unfortunate to hear as Darien Lake had just began to take a huge turn for the good under HFE. While i pray for HFE to stay I don't think it's realistically going to happen. But hopefully we continue to see investment going into the park if they do decide to move on without darien lake in their hands

I would like to know where you heard these reports? Do you work at the park and are talking to the GM, or are you talking to the gift shop cashier?

If this report is true, that would be very sad though. HFE has done great things at the park. I am very sure they would love to own the park outright, but if CNL is asking too much or is unwilling to sell, the it is smart for HFE to walk away if they have no chance at owning the park in the future

If this report is true, that would be very sad though. HFE has done great things at the park. I am very sure they would love to own the park outright, but if CNL is asking too much or is unwilling to sell, the it is smart for HFE to walk away if they have no chance at owning the park in the future

It's bad enough this park has had an identity crisis and the last thing they need is another operator, that is, if the report is true. Darien Lake needs an owner and/or operator that is committed and will bring some stability to the park. Too many hands in ownership is only going to bring a negative vibe to the region.

Darien Lake isn't going to close. Someone will see what a gold mine it is and pick it up. Unlike parks like Geauga Lake or Hard Rock park Darien has a consistent attendance rate, major hotel, concert venue, and a campground. You have to imagine that they make a profit as big as some major parks without having the same large attendance rates.

It could even be the original owner Paul Snyder. He said that he would have bought the park if it was sold alone and not as a package. I wonder what type of ideas he would bring.

It's not gonna close, there is too much involved for it to close. It's not just a park, it's a resort, a campground and a concert venue. It's one of the only concert venues in the area, especially if you want to go to an outdoor concert. The concert venue alone brings tons of business and I am sure most of those people going to the concert also go to the park as well.

Yes it needs improvement but as far as I know the people have not stopped coming. If the parking lots are empty and the people stop coming then I would say yes it's in danger of closing. The parking was into the overflow lot the last time I went so clearly that is not happening. Concerts are almost always packed. Regardless of what the park does people will still come due to severe lack of entertainment in this area. If someone built something better than DL (NOT Likely at all) in this area then the people may jump ship. As of now WNY has nothing better. They may not have the best guest experience, but it's not horrible either and in general people don't care that much about things like long lines, one train operation etc since they come once a year cause the kids want to go so they take them no matter what. They will simply wait in the 2 hour line to go on ROS and just take it in stride.

^You're right, upstate New York doesn't have anything better in terms of theme parks besides Darien Lake. Sure there's Great Escape in eastern park of New York and some smaller "family parks" like Seabreeze and Fantasy Island, but still those are just minor parks, they don't have a hotel and/or a campground on site (with the exception of Great Escape) or even a concert venue on site.

Even on off days the overflow lot usually has to be opened. The main lot probably holds about 400-500 cars alone.

As mentioned before concerts are one of the main reasons why the park does so well. There are no other major venues around here. Yes there is First Niagara Center, but that only holds 18000 not including seats that are removed for stage equipment. Darien can hold 20000. Plus with Sabres games and other events it is really hard to book there.

Same goes for the campground. You can't find many campgrounds around here unless you travel an hour or two

^And how many of those campgrounds in New York have a hotel, a concert venue, and a theme/water park on one property? No one but Darien Lake and not mention it's New York's largest theme park. So those are some reason for potential buyers to buy Darien Lake from CNL.

I'm down, as long as there's a committed operator that will keep it open, I'll be happy! HFE would be nice though.

Agreed, Darien Lake needs an owner that's committed to keep Darien Lake open and not turn it into a big "family park" or just a water park!