TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

I really don't mind that cuda falls has been taken down (All the parts from them were actually sitting in the parking lot the other day). I think I rode it only a couple of times and the last time was at least 8 years ago. They were fun, but the idea that something new and more exciting, especially compared to a 20 year old ride, excites me a lot more.

I agree with goldisk completely on cud falls. Yes I rode them and yes they were fun. But they were old and apparently a maintenance nighmare. I am sad to see them go but what will be in that spot in the future excites me even more. I think if HFE is going to do something relatively large with that space I would expect to see construction start immediately. That itself should spark some interest seeing the bulldozers and stuff. I think it is the best thing to happen at DL in a very long time

Not only was it the pumps and actual mechanics that was the entire problem either. I'm sure those could be replaced if that was the entire problem. There were many small things that would go unnoticed by most too. On the yellow and green slides tubes would get stuck before the final drop. Plus before the staircase to the top of the slides a weird algae grew on the concrete which was super slippery. Plus the Floodgate Falls pool could have attracted insects like mosquitoes that can carry disease. The only thing that puzzles me is why would they pour money into painting the slides in 2010. I the ride had only a few years left, why paint them? They should have just removed them when Swirl City opened. The royal blue paint could have been put to better use (cough Ride if Steel).

The only thing that puzzles me is why would they pour money into painting the slides in 2010. I the ride had only a few years left, why paint them? They should have just removed them when Swirl City opened.

Darien Lake was under PARC Management when that project was undertaken. From what I understand about the management agreements CNL has had been between various companies is that each company could propose any project they pleased, and CNL decides if they want release the funding for it. So the decision to remove the complex was likely not made at that point with PARC Management at the helm. Regarding Ride of Steel and it's paint, I find it more logical for Darien Lake to focus on rides that are in closer proximity to people's eyes. From a distance Ride of Steel looks adequate, and at this point with the long list of things Darien Lake needs done, the money and resources for such a big project need to be diverted elsewhere. And do you think management looks at Ride of Steel and thinks it looks great? Absolutely not, but there are other priorities obviously. New paint is not something that will spike profits and draw in the masses, so it's not going to be number one on the list of projects.

The only thing that puzzles me is why would they pour money into painting the slides in 2010. I the ride had only a few years left, why paint them? They should have just removed them when Swirl City opened.

Well, four years later after Swirl City opened, you got your wish, 'Cuda Falls gone the way of the other slides that were in that area (Cascade Canyon, Rainbow Mountain, Riptide Run, Hyrdo Force/Torpedo Rapids, and Floodgate Falls)!

Most parks don't know they are removing a certain ride 4 years ahead.

Parks can be sometimes unpredictable when it comes to ride removal and other times they have logical reason (IE run down, maintenance issues, or selling the ride to another park). In 'Cuda Falls' case I could see Darien Lake selling the slides and the inner tubes for 'Cuda Falls to another park and using the money from selling said slides for something new!

Most parks don't know they are removing a certain ride 4 years ahead.

Parks can be sometimes unpredictable when it comes to ride removal and other times they have logical reason (IE run down, maintenance issues, or selling the ride to another park). In 'Cuda Falls' case I could see Darien Lake selling the slides and the inner tubes for 'Cuda Falls to another park and using the money from selling said slides for something new!

I doubt they would sell them and I don't think there's many if any parks that would buy them based on their age and that they were built to the teraforming of the ground under them which would require a buyer to also buy all new, custom made supports. Add to that the problems with the pumps (new owner would probably need to buy new pumps as well) and that all new piping would be needed... all in all, it would be very costly for a new owner to install 20 year old slides when they could probably buy new ones cheaper, for about the same price, or a couple grand more.

Now let's just let 'cuda falls die and rest peacefully.

By the way, about the painting of them - I don't think the problem was foreseen in advance because from what i heard originally the park was planning to open the slides last year.

I wonder if 'Cuda Falls used the same pump system that Rainbow Mountain used? If they did the pumps were probably over 30 years old since 'Cuda Falls was built on the same hill as the Rainbow Mountain slides and Floodgate Falls.

^No.

I'll just say this now, there is a zero percent chance cuda is sent anywhere other than a scrap yard. There is nothing of value. The supports were terrained, the fiberglass was deteriorating, the pool at the top was rusting through, and the pump system was shot.

If they are stacked in nice pieces, it's likely they were taken apart as to not cause fiberglass to become a contaminant.

^No.

I'll just say this now, there is a zero percent chance cuda is sent anywhere other than a scrap yard. There is nothing of value. The supports were terrained, the fiberglass was deteriorating, the pool at the top was rusting through, and the pump system was shot.

If they are stacked in nice pieces, it's likely they were taken apart as to not cause fiberglass to become a contaminant.

Did you read what he posted?

^TheDarkMaxim probably didn't read my last post questing if 'Cuda Falls used the same pump system that was used for the Rainbow Mountain water slide that 'Cuda Falls replaced in 1994 and he assumed that question was for Darien Lake to reopen the slides or send them to another park, so i'm going to quote myself in hopes to get a real answer out of the quoted question.

I wonder if 'Cuda Falls used the same pump system that Rainbow Mountain used? If they did the pumps were probably over 30 years old since 'Cuda Falls was built on the same hill as the Rainbow Mountain slides and Floodgate Falls.

Just a question, I am not that familiar with the DL waterpark, which was the slides that you had different color mats to go down on where they would call out a mat color and all the people with that color had to go to the back of the line.

Just a question, I am not that familiar with the DL waterpark, which was the slides that you had different color mats to go down on where they would call out a mat color and all the people with that color had to go to the back of the line.

I think that was Rainbow Mountain, the slides that 'Cuda Falls replaced!

For the first time, you Darien Lakers are going to see construction happening this entire season. Wonderland does that now, Cedar Point does it now, even Disney has construction going on all the time now while the park is still open. It helps to peak interest and curiosity and it gets everyone talking on forums like this one. I will say it again, DL is going to get something really big NEXT year . . . mark my words . . .