TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Sure they can easily spill into the handicapped parking lot. Parks do it all the time. DL even did it when they added the splashdown area with the lazy river. It sits on a spot that used to parking lot. All they would have to do is make the front of the rows handicapped parking and be ok. Concert parking does not use the park parking area anymore, so that shouldn't be a big issue. It could totally happen and would make for a great flow pattern around that area. Slingshot could easily be moved to just about anywhere very easily btw

There's no way they could cut into parking again unless they add more space elsewhere without adversely affecting parking overall. The Splashtown area already took a HUGE area of parking away, but at the time and still now none of that was really needed with attendance levels. The current parking setup can accommodate approximately 15,000-20,000 people depending on a couple of factors, and that includes parking all the grass areas around the theme park parking lots. Concert parking does actually regularly spill over into the general parking as well, although in general the park tries to avoid it.

If that area were to be cut, it would only be 45 spaces. It's safe to say the old locker building will be demolished, it's one of the parks original buildings. And it really is just a shell with garage doors.

If you look here at all the area that could be used to be developed on, it's enormous. If they wanted to connect to mind eraser, it's always possible to put in a floating bride over there.

image.thumb.jpg.bd68cbba3371b80e0a4041cfe7acbe90.jpg

If that area were to be cut, it would only be 45 spaces. It's safe to say the old fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo building will be demolished, it's one of the parks original buildings. And it really is just a shell with garage doors.

If you look here at all the area that could be used to be developed on, it's enormous. If they wanted to connect to mind eraser, it's always possible to put in a floating bride over there.

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]

It's already pretty short on handicap spots so taking even 45 would have an effect. Even without that area, the space is still pretty large.

There's already a lot of space between 'Cuda Falls and Slingshot because there used to be more water slides behind 'Cuda Falls that were remove when Six Flags bought Darien Lake. Maybe at one point Six Flags had plans for a coaster to go behind 'Cuda Falls and later canceled the plans before they decided to put Slingshot in somewhere where old slides were.

I've heard that Darien Lake took the Barracuda Bay/'Cuda Falls slides down. The park's entrance is going to look so odd without the slides and not to mention the GP are going to be telling Darien Lake to get more water slides because of long line for Tornado, Big Kahuna, and Swirl City!

Edited by DarienLaker

I've heard that Darien Lake took the Barracuda Bay/'Cuda Falls slides down. The park's entrance is going to look so odd without the slides and not to mention the GP are going to telling Darien Lake to get more water slides because of long line for Tornado, Big Kahuna, and Swirl City!

Is this actually confirmed? I was by the park last month and they were still up. I'm not sure how long it would take for them to be taken down but it seems a month would be a really short time.

This is better! Just by taking a few unused waterslides down, gets you folks thinking big! I'm telling you, just 1 big coaster every 3-4 years and a few nice flats in between, will absolutely boost attendance and profitability of a great park like Darien Lake. In 5-10 years, come back to this post and tell me, I wasn't right . . .

This is better! Just by taking a few unused waterslides down, gets you folks thinking big! I'm telling you, just 1 big coaster every 3-4 years and a few nice flats in between, will absolutely boost attendance and profitability of a great park like Darien Lake. In 5-10 years, come back to this post and tell me, I wasn't right . . .

I have the date circled on my calendar. I'll try to not ROFL until then.

To bet that any park with the size and scale of Darien Lake to build a "big" coaster every 3-4 years is absolute ludicrous. I'm sure they have something in their long-term plan about this land, but I would never expect Darien Lake or any park this size to add these expensive attractions at the pace you are suggesting.

Is this actually confirmed? I was by the park last month and they were still up. I'm not sure how long it would take for them to be taken down but it seems a month would be a really short time.

Well, it hasn't been confirmed yet, but I've hear someone say that they saw 'Cuda Falls in pieces in the parking lot or maybe they were talking about the old Batman: The Escape coaster that has been rusting in pieces for years now?

Now's the time to start, aj. Do it now or forget about Darien Lake ever being a big park. 5-10 years, mark my words, they already have big plans for Darien Lake, mark . . . my . . . words . . .

Are you sure that Herschend really has big plans for Darien Lake? To tell you the truth, I have high hopes for Darien Lake and it not like they're going to be the next Cedar Point, Six Flags Magic Mountain, or Disney World, but still the park has gotten "better" to make up for being at the short end of the Six Flags stick.

I was thinking the other day, Laker, the best thing to happen to any park would be to have 2 owners with 2 pocketbooks. Now, (if) these 2 owners could come together with some kind of agreement where one would have the big ideas and one would put in the big investments, then you could, in theory, build a really great park in my opinion. Let's check off what DL aready has . . . a huge campground/rv area . . . check . . . a hotel/lodge for those who don't want to camp . . . check . . . atmosphere within the park . . . check, check, check . . . some great family rides . . . check . . . some great flat rides . . . check . . . sone great coasters . . . check . . . DL has food, and now, clean washrooms, a nice waterpark . . . Canada's Wonderland was at this point in 2006 . . . only one more thing to really get DL going really big . . . something bigger than Wonderland . . . a 400ft monster! . . . Cedar Fair has sunk 100 million dollars into Wonderland since 2006 with all of that money coming from park profits . . . once you start investing big into a park, the attendance and profits will come quickly . . . I'm telling you . . . 5-10 years . . . mark . . . my . . . words . . .

I . . once you start investing big into a park, the attendance and profits will come quickly . . . I'm telling you . . . 5-10 years . . . mark . . . my . . . words . . .

You're sounding like what happened with Six Flags Ohio/Worlds of Adventure - investing big in a park that was about the same size as Darien Lake. With that mindset Darien would meet the same fate as SFO in 5-10 years....mark my words. Personally I like Darien Lake as it is and I don't think it needs a lot of big, flashy rides to make it better. I like the direction HFE has taken thus far.

Sure go ahead and build that 400-foot coaster but the park does not have the attendance to sustain that investment in the long term.

I think HFE knows how to run a park properly and when to expand and how to expand. The reason why SFO failed was cuz they added too much all at once with like four coasters in one year and another the next. That is not the proper way to go about it cuz then it is expected as the norm. HFE has shown very good management skills with both sdc and dollywood. I expect dl to mirror those two parks in the near future. Neither have 15+ coasters or anything major. They have a nice mix with great family atmosphere and great themeing. I look at what they did with rowdy's ridge and think that if the entire park looked like that it would be a huge win. I feel that eventually it will, but it cannot and will not happen in just one year

I think HFE knows how to run a park properly and when to expand and how to expand. The reason why SFO failed was cuz they added too much all at once with like four coasters in one year and another the next. That is not the proper way to go about it cuz then it is expected as the norm. HFE has shown very good management skills with both sdc and dollywood. I expect dl to mirror those two parks in the near future. Neither have 15+ coasters or anything major. They have a nice mix with great family atmosphere and great themeing. I look at what they did with rowdy's ridge and think that if the entire park looked like that it would be a huge win. I feel that eventually it will, but it cannot and will not happen in just one year

I think the main reason why they failed was cause they sunk 110 million for SeaWorld. Had they not, They would probably still be operating.

Then only time that I could think of Darien Lake went kind of "crazy" with new rides was the years 1994-2000 with 'Cuda Falls in 1994, then Skycoaster/Redhawk in 1995, then Hook's Lagoon, Nightmare at Phantom Cave, and Popeye's Seaport (now Beaver Bros. Bay) in 1996, then Crocodile Isle wave pool and Mind Eraser in 1997, then Boomerang in 1998, and last but not least (Superman) Ride of Steel in 1999 and Twister in 2000.

The Swirl City water slides and the new lazy river, Motocoaster, Rowdy's Ridge, and Blast Off! were the only rides added since Six Flags sold Darien Lake. I was thinking that Darien Lake might turn the old Barracua Bay/'Cuda Falls area into a kids birthday party area or move the catered picnic grove to there, it's just an idea.

Then only time that I could think of Darien Lake went kind of "crazy" with new rides was the years 1994-2000 with 'Cuda Falls in 1994, then Skycoaster/Redhawk in 1995, then Hook's Lagoon, Nightmare at Phantom Cave, and Popeye's Seaport (now Beaver Bros. Bay) in 1996, then Crocodile Isle wave pool and Mind Eraser in 1997, then Boomerang in 1998, and last but not least (Superman) Ride of Steel in 1999 and Twister in 2000.

The Swirl City water slides and the new lazy river, Motocoaster, Rowdy's Ridge, and Blast Off! were the only rides added since Six Flags sold Darien Lake. I was thinking that Darien Lake might turn the old Barracua Bay/'Cuda Falls area into a kids birthday party area or move the catered picnic grove to there, it's just an idea.

Thanks for this but I don't think anyone was indicating that Darien Lake ever went crazy with additions. Rather, they were stating that if Darien Lake followed the plan outlined above, it would be "crazy". Additionally, with the information you listed, they were pretty evenly spread out over a number of years. There was no time where the park went crazy with investing tens of millions of dollars for several years in a row.

I completely agree with the posts above about how the expansions should be done. Slow and steady is the key, especially as it makes mends to its relationship with locals after mismanagement by previous companies. Additionally, it wouldn't make sense to drop $100 million on it in 5 years because the park doesn't have as large of a population to draw from as Canada's Wonderland either. The campground and hotel certainly increase the range the park can considered its "base", but even so, a lot less people live within an hour of Darien Lake (~1.5 million, i think) compared Canada's Wonderland (~5 million, maybe more).

You think that is crazy? SF Great Adventure added around 20-30(?) rides in ONE YEAR during the "war on lines". Six Flags or Premier at the time was trying to build DL up to their standards. Even the small SF/Premier parks have around 6 coasters. The company had a lot of money and threw it around like it grew on trees. Then they almost went bankrupt and was forced to sell parks like Darien Lake.

As for the situation DL is in right now, the park needs work all over. They made a bad impression on people during the recent transition years and many are considering not coming back unless it changes. The park should do the little things as well as adding another big coaster. The land by Cuda is gold for a new thrill ride, and the park should use it wisely as their recent new additions (excluding Blast Off) have been disappointments.

I heard that Darien Lake is going to reopen Floodgate to make up for 'Cuda Falls either being gone or SBNO!

[attachment=0]Floogate Fall reopening ad.png[/attachment]

This was kinda funny the first time one of these jokes were posted but its not really now. Additionally, it doesn't add anything substantial to what we were discussing or even bring up any of the points. Flood gate falls didn't even work properly when it was operating. An attendant had to push riders through one section of it and it wouldn't even really help reduce any strain on the slides anyways since its a different type of ride.

Darienlaker please stop. I beg of you. I am only posting to clarify a few things.

1. Cuda falls and/ or Floodgate Falls is being torn down no matter how much you protest.

2. The Batman coaster is never being set up as stated in an earlier post.

3. Darien Lake is doing what's best for business. One person is not going to change the parks mind. If they kept Cuda Falls it would continue to be SBNO year after year. The slime pool you want to ride on will become virus infested and harm other guests.

I don't wanna crush your hopes and dreams or seem like I am being rude, I'm just saying this for my sanity and the sanity of the others that read this thread.

I gave up my hopes for Darien Lake to reopen 'Cuda Falls

It's true what I said on the "say something random" board is true, I have gave up my hopes for Darien Lake to reopen 'Cuda Falls just like I gave my hopes up for them to set up that old Batman stand up coaster from Six Flags Astroworld and to reopen Floodgate Falls!

Maybe coasterkid124 is right about me losing it about what Darien Lake should get to replace 'Cuda Falls!