TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Just going to post the press release for those who want to read it.

INTERNATIONAL SUPERSTAR NIK WALLENDA TO HEADLINE ENTERTAINMENT AT DARIEN LAKE IN 2014

– Nik Wallenda & The Wallenda Family To Join Darien Lake For Upcoming Season –

DARIEN CENTER, N.Y., February 12, 2014 – With decades of experience captivating audiences around the world, aerialist and high-wire artist Nik Wallenda will spend the summer of 2014 high-above Darien Lake. Known as the “King of the Wire,” his high-flying stunts have landed him in the Guinness Book of World Record seven times and his 2012 walk across Niagara Falls made him a household name throughout Western New York.

Darien Lake and presenting sponsor Tim Hortons Café and Bake Shop announced today that the internationally renowned daredevil will star in and produce a 60-minute thrill spectacular exclusively for Darien Lake guests. Showing twice daily in the 1,800 seat Galaxy Theatre from June 23 through September 1st (dark Mondays), the show will mesmerize audiences with exhilarating performances from the world’s best aerialists and stunt performers and climax in the breath-taking Wallenda Family Pyramid on the wire finale. The amazing stunt features Nik, his wife Erendira, and other members of the Wallenda family walking, untethered, 60 feet above the audience.

Wallenda’s involvement doesn’t stop at the Galaxy Theater. Nik Wallenda Productions Inc. will be crafting additional entertainment for Darien Lake including a short-film chronicling the history of the Wallendas, an interactive tight-rope training academy with hands-on instruction, “pop up” street performances from the cast and crew, and a not-to-be-missed premier high-wire stunt on Saturday, May 26.

All performances will be included with park admission and for Darien Lake Vacations guests, with preferred seating and VIP packages sold on a limited basis. 2014 season pass holders will receive exclusive show offers and event invites throughout the show run.

“The level of entertainment Nik will bring to our guests this season is unprecedented,” said Vince Nicoletti, Director of Marketing at Darien Lake. “Nik Wallenda holds 7 world records and he’s coming with the world’s best aerialists and stunt performers in tow. This truly will be an incomparable entertainment experience”.

“My family and I are thrilled to be back in the area and spending our summer at Darien Lake,” said Nik Wallenda. “With more than 1 million people coming to the park every season, it’s the perfect location for our act and we can’t wait to get started.”

For more information about Nik Wallenda and The Wallenda Family at Darien Lake this season, or to learn how season pass holders can get special pre-season access to the park, visit http://www.darienlake.com.

I obviously am really hoping for a new ride, but will accept this new show, which does sound very interesting and unique, under the idea that they paint a few coasters like ROS and mind eraser. Maybee some lights on the wheel as well

If we're being honest here, and by some wild chance Darien Lake only introduces this show -- it wouldnt be all that bad IF they worked on some internal issues in the park. People are always complaining about the bathrooms, maybe give some/all of them a touch-up, People seem a little so-so on the customer service... Admit it, we've seen work being done with that already. The facebook and twitter pages being used alot more and at least Darien did try to hype over their announcement this time which was nice. Maybe we'll get lucky and see just as much work inside the park customer-service wise as we've begun to see outside. And Lastly, Two train operations coming back is a great thing to hear. I cant wait to see how they pull off two train operations on Boomerang ... *EXTREME SARCASM ALERT* and I did enjoy the decals they attempted to place on RoS and Viper last year, maybe some more touch ups on the other coaster trains? Sure, we may not get a new ride, but we are kind of seeing them working to improve the rides they already have, in my opinion that can be just as good. In the end, ride or no ride, 2014 should be a good year, as long as it doesnt rain as much as it did in 2013, then it should be fine. Good things come to those who wait my friends, and more importantly, patience is a virtue

^That is something that is happening behind the scenes. There is a bunch of reorganization going on to improve cleanliness. For example, some of the cleaning is going to be shifted towards the people who work in an area, allowing park services to focus on the bathrooms more. This has already be going on in the waterpark, they fully clean it with park services only emptying trash and cleaning the bathrooms.

Yeah I totaly agree...good things do come to those who wait, and DL is definately in good hands under HFE. It may take a few years, but they will get things right. All of their parks are run well with great service and great rides. They are making strides at DL...especially after the nightmare they inherited from the two previous owners lack of care. In time, DL will live up to the HFE standards and will be much better. Let the new management get their feelers on what is going on and the proper way to change it, then let's see how far they take DL.

I still am holding out hope for either a new ride this year, or some very noticeable paint!

So I've been looking at the map, and I think I found a couple good places for Darien Lake to put new roller coasters in the future whenever they get around to it.

2067990092_DarienLakeMap.thumb.jpg.8955a425c8f06290a49b2815c0bce4cb.jpg

d.thumb.jpg.08acbe3e6add08755c1e0c458f914603.jpg

The first place I think should be considered is the Cuda Falls/Shipwreck Falls area. If these two attractions were to be removed (Since Cuda Falls has been SBNO for awhile, and Shipwreck Falls could be relocated), then judging by the second picture, there would be more than enough room to build a quality coaster that would be a good addition to the variety of coasters in the park, and would attract new visitors to the park. Maybe here they could build a flying coaster, a stand-up coaster etc.

The other place that I think could work would be the inside of the Galaxy theater (which has been SBNO until the Wallenda show, and I'm pretty sure the show is for this year only). Darien Lake could build a spinning roller coaster of some sort, like the Pandemonium roller coasters at the Six Flags parks. They could call it "Black Hole", and have the ride take place in total darkness, adding to the suspense of what will happen next. A roller coaster used to be in this building previously, so it's possible.

What do you guys think?

^*Facepalm* here we go again with the whole "Darien Lake needs a spinning coaster" thing again!

O.K. 'Cuda Falls, was going under a refurbishment last year, so I'll assume that the 'Cuda Falls slide would reopen this season therefore it wasn't SBNO last year!

^*Facepalm* here we go again with the whole "Darien Lake needs a spinning coaster" thing again!

O.K. 'Cuda Falls, was going under a refurbishment last year, so I'll assume that the 'Cuda Falls slide would reopen this season therefore it wasn't SBNO last year!

DarienLaker, I'm not sure if you noticed but that's DoomMonkey's first post on TPR. They weren't here for the endless discussions about new fantasy coasters at this park so it might not be necessary to respond like that.

First of all DoomMonkey, welcome to TPR! We're glad you're here.

Second of all, I actually think you have a lot of good ideas. I'm not sure if you've been reading the forums a lot before signing up but if not, the reason for that reaction is that for some reason people are obsessed with bringing up new coaster ideas at this park. Obviously you had no way of knowing this and if it were any park besides this one nobody would react like that. It's just funny that it happens to be this thread. Darien lake seems to be a magnet for speculation. lol

Well, I'm still counting on that inverting wooden coaster we heard about a while back that would replace Predator...So i'd definitely prefer that over a spinning coaster!

I'd prefer Lake Monster to the indoor spinning coaster too. My suggestions are for what Darien Lake could do after the construction and opening of the Lake Monster, assuming they still have plans to build it.

I'd didn't even know people were suggesting the spinning coaster before. I guess great minds think alike

Also SBNO means that it wasn't open to the general public, so it was SBNO regardless of refurbishment. But it doesn't matter ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

First of all DoomMonkey, welcome to TPR! We're glad you're here.

Second of all, I actually think you have a lot of good ideas. I'm not sure if you've been reading the forums a lot before signing up but if not, the reason for that reaction is that for some reason people are obsessed with bringing up new coaster ideas at this park. Obviously you had no way of knowing this and if it were any park besides this one nobody would react like that. It's just funny that it happens to be this thread. Darien lake seems to be a magnet for speculation. lol

Thanks for the welcome, I appreciate it!

I've been occasionally lurking this board for a little while, sorry to add on to the coaster ideas but I could resist lol. I don't think I've been lurking this board long enough to realize just how much speculation goes on in here though. I guess since in the last 15 years only 1 relatively small coaster has been added, people are eagerly awaiting new major coaster, hence all the speculation.

I'm already regretting asking this but I've heard a lot out of DarienLaker about 'Cuda Falls since I've been on this thread.

I personally am not much of a water ride person and from what I've seen on here, the slides aren't in top notch conditions in the past few years... So here's the part I'm almost positive I'm going to regret (Don't hurt me I'm only curious...)

1) When did 'Cuda falls actually open?

2) When did it close?

3) Was there anything really special about the ride that would make Darien Lake want to keep it around?

Yes I understand that 'Cuda Falls has been over mentioned... but its to the point where I'm just curious enough to ask about it. And for that matter I'm sure wikipedia won't give opinions on an SBNO ride... Thanks guys!

I'm already regretting asking this but I've heard a lot out of DarienLaker about 'Cuda Falls since I've been on this thread.

I personally am not much of a water ride person and from what I've seen on here, the slides aren't in top notch conditions in the past few years... So here's the part I'm almost positive I'm going to regret (Don't hurt me I'm only curious...)

1) When did 'Cuda falls actually open?

2) When did it close?

3) Was there anything really special about the ride that would make Darien Lake want to keep it around?

Yes I understand that 'Cuda Falls has been over mentioned... but its to the point where I'm just curious enough to ask about it. And for that matter I'm sure wikipedia won't give opinions on an SBNO ride... Thanks guys!

To answer your questions about 'Cuda Falls, it opened in 1994, but it closed for refurbishment in 2013, and I'm not really sure if there's anything really special about 'Cuda Falls except for it being the oldest set of slides Darien Lake has currently. So I wouldn't mind if Darien Lake move the 'Cuda Falls slides to the rest of the water park!

To answer your questions about 'Cuda Falls, it opened in 1994, but it closed for refurbishment in 2013, and I'm not really sure if there's anything really special about 'Cuda Falls except for it being the oldest set of slides Darien Lake has currently. So I wouldn't mind if Darien Lake move the 'Cuda Falls slides to the rest of the water park!

Moving the slides it really out of the question. They are built to the terrain under them so without having all new supports fabricated (or the terrain modified for them) it's not going to be moving anywhere. On top of that, there is no room in the water park to move them to even if they could be moved. Nothing is special about these slides other then that they help take a lot of strain off the others during the water park's busy summer months.

I don't want to offend you or anything, DarienLaker, but you were the only person who repetitively suggested the idea of a Pandemonium clone going into Galaxy Theater...

Please don't jump on doom monkey in this one. He has some very good ideas. I live the idea of tearing down vids falls for a new coaster. I don't even think shipwreck needs to be removed. The new coaster could just go behind shipwreck and thunder rapids. Plenty of room back there to do whatever they want

With that being said, I do think some new water slides like speed slides or a kids style slide complex may be a nice addition. A good waterpark will go a long way. As will some new paint on mind eraser and ROS

Next time I see this thread bumped, I want to see a Trip report, an actual rumor, or an announcement. But until than, this thread needs to die.

I think it's important to point out AGAIN that this thread was bumped by a BRAND NEW MEMBER that had no idea how ridiculous this thread has become.

I know I can't speak for Robb or the rest of the TPR team but yelling about bumping threads when the thread was bumped with a well thought out post from a brand new member is not a good way to get new members to stick around and become active members of TPR.

I agree that if Darien Laker bumped the thread again talking about new coaster ideas we should all be rolling our eyes, but a brand new member bumped the thread so can we please try to be nice and not act like a message board full of crazy people that yell at everyone?

Again... I'm not trying to speak for anyone running this site, but can we think before we start making demands about what threads we'd like to see people posting in?

Next time I see this thread bumped, I want to see a Trip report, an actual rumor, or an announcement. But until than, this thread needs to die.

I think a good solution here is if you don't like the thread then don't read it...

As to doom monkey's post I agree with Sk610 that a roller coaster could fit in the area without moving shipwreck (where else in the park would it go to anyways?), by placing the new coaster in the cuda' area and behind shipwreck.

^Major Facepalm.

Darien Lake will probably NOT be painting Ride of Steel or Mind Eraser, and you're just going to have to live with it. DarienLaker, will you just shut up about 'Cuda Falls, please? Also you can stop being a hypocrite, since you were the first to mention a Pandemonium clone going into Galaxy Theater, as XYZ pointed out. Next time I see this thread bumped, I want to see a Trip report, an actual rumor, or an announcement. But until than, this thread needs to die.

This type of post will not be tolerated on the forum and has earned you a time-out from the forum.

I don't want to offend you or anything, DarienLaker, but you were the only person who repetitively suggested the idea of a Pandemonium clone going into Galaxy Theater...

Spot on.

Like Elissa said, everyone needs to ease up in the thread. Our hobby is supposed to be fun. No need to get so worked up over it.

Edited by ernierocker

Thanks Ernie. My feelin is that unless you are the GM of the park or CEO of HFE or cnl you don't know what is going on. For all we know the parks has their plans for the next few years already set. We are all here for fun and enjoyment and that is what it is supposed to be about. Nobody posts because they just get put down for posts.

I applaud doom monkey for his post and a darn good idea at that. I could easily see a good coaster in that spot that he talks of. And the space is large enough to fit a rather good size ride or rides.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Ernie. My feelin is that unless you are the GM of the park or CEO of HFE or cnl you don't know what is going on. For all we know the parks has their plans for the next few years already set. We are all here for fun and enjoyment and that is what it is supposed to be about. Nobody posts because they just get put down for posts.

The additions are planned out for years in advance. That's how it is at every theme park (or any company, for that matter.)

Although it looks like no new rides this year it does appear that more announcements related to entertainment and in-park events will be coming up. The following is from Darien Lake's FB:

It's #throwbackthursday! In 2009 the X-Games BMX Jam tour took over Darien Lake. In 2014 we will take the guest experience to a whole new level with a series of fun and exciting in-park events. Stay tuned for more info!

Also, does anyone know if the in-park concerts were popular back when they had those?