TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Nik Wallenda and his family will be at Darien Lake from June 23rd to labor day. They will perform twice daily in the galaxy theater. They will also be running an interactive tight rope training for guests at the gazebo stage.

Personally I'm not sure this will be enough to boost their attendance very much but we weren't expecting too much more than this I guess (most of us at least).

Not to put down Darien Lake but this sure seems anticlimatic after Nik crossed Niagara Falls a couple years ago.

Sorta, but Nik has also said he has wanted to stay in and be more apart of area (ie. His museum he wants in nf) and I guess this is one way for him to do that.

Yes that is a very interesting announcement. And it is also nice that the walenda family looks to have a relationship with HFE. I am however hoping that there is some other announcement on a new ride or water slide to bring people in as well. Nick walenda cannot bring in crowds all by himself.

Nik Wallenda and his family will be at Darien Lake from June 23rd to labor day. They will perform twice daily in the galaxy theater. They will also be running an interactive tight rope training for guests at the gazebo stage.

Personally I'm not sure this will be enough to boost their attendance very much but we weren't expecting too much more than this I guess (most of us at least).

I'm glad that they decided to use Galaxy Theater again instead of leaving it SBNO like they had in the past two seasons!

There won't be. That was the announcement for 2014.

That was the entertainment announcement. Whether there will or will not be a new ride had yet to be confirmed.

Both of you guys do have good points. What kills me is they know how everyone was all over the rumored re-vamp of Predator, and even though it wasn't Darien that pulled the plug - I remember screamscape or something saying it was CNL - on the 2014 project, they did dish out several other possibilities in those little surveys. Yet, the big news was just Nik Walenda's hour long tight rope show. not that I'm against the guy or anything but when guests are anticipating a new ride of some sort or maybe a return of rides that went M.I.A. and what not, I wouldn't say that this announcement was timed the right way. If there is a new ride announcement, which Im not to positive there will be, I would say that it would've been a much better idea to announce that first and follow it with the Tight Rope show thing. Of course thats just in my opinion. Anyway, if this is all Darien is coming to 2014 with, I wouldnt expect a big boost in admittance at all, Honestly I'd say it would remain about the same, or drop slightly. Hopefully I'm wrong and they announce something else and/or the show does bring in more guests and 2014 is successful for everyone. but then again... I'm more glass half-full...

^You need to stop making statements like that. Seriously, stop, it's nonsensical.

Pending good weather, this season should see attendance increase. Seeing as there was a drop in attendance last season due to many rainy days. Which could possibly lead to Lake Monster happening in 2015. Everything I heard was there was hesitance on a major project due to falling attendance last season (not to mention many other issues).

^You need to stop making statements like that. Seriously, stop, it's nonsensical.

Pending good weather, this season should see attendance increase. Seeing as there was a drop in attendance last season due to many rainy days. Which could possibly lead to Lake Monster happening in 2015. Everything I heard was there was hesitance on a major project due to falling attendance last season (not to mention many other issues).

There wasn't hesitance due to falling attendance (that actually sped it up if anything, as they wanted it to increase attendance this year) but rather falling profits at CNL.

I still say something is probably coming to the UFO area (I really can't seem them leaving it bare for 2 years in a row) but based on their announcements so far it might not be a ride.

HFC is obviously in Darien for the long run though as they appear to have extended their contract. It was up for renewal and they renewed Darien's but not Elitch's. I take this as a good sign that they have some big things down the pipeline.

Edited by Golddisk

Interesting announcement...I think it will be a great addition for the park and something unique and different that I can't recall very many parks ever offering.

Just as long as we don't have to say after him: 100 Hail Mary's, Oh God's and Oh, Sweet Jesus' while he is walking the tightrope, I'm cool with it.

Please do not use the Report function for ANYTHING OTHER THAN SPAM! You can message a moderator if you think someone is causing trouble or trilling but the Report function is to flag spam topics.

Thanks.

Darien Lake Discussion Thread has not only hit rock bottom, but it is digging down into the depths of that fiery place that bad people go to when they die.

Personally, this was a great move on Darien Lake's part. Families will love this new show that you can't find in other parks. Heck, I might even give it a shot and I never go to park shows. Even better, they are drawing attention to a part of the park we all thought was forgotten. With HFE at the helm, Darien Lake finally seems to be "getting it." Hopefully the weather holds and Darien Lake has a great 2014 season.

P.S. Totally called it that Darien Lake plans on two train operations on the applicable coasters this year. You never underestimate an excellent guest service company like HFE.

This announcement is still a puzzle to me. The way it looks, there will not be any new ride but the park dubbed this the "entertainment announcement". Entertainment to me means a show, but you could be entertained while on a ride too I guess. The website still lacks a "New for 2014" page so this is hard to figure out. If this is the only announcement this year, I am quite disappointed as I don't plan to watch the show, and the announcement was hyped a lot. Even though a new show is nice, it is kind of expected and there are many areas of the park that need to still be updated to meet the Herschend standard.

This announcement is still a puzzle to me. The way it looks, there will not be any new ride but the park dubbed this the "entertainment announcement". Entertainment to me means a show, but you could be entertained while on a ride too I guess. The website still lacks a "New for 2014" page so this is hard to figure out. If this is the only announcement this year, I am quite disappointed as I don't plan to watch the show, and the announcement was hyped a lot. Even though a new show is nice, it is kind of expected and there are many areas of the park that need to still be updated to meet the Herschend standard.

Why would expect so much when the park literally tells you it will be a new show when it said "entertainment announcement"?

If it was a new ride, it would be "attraction announcement".

I think they can still improve an area of the park as the area in front of Galaxy is seriously in need of some improvements. It could also potentially include the area around prospectors pizza, batting cages, and the bumper cars.

I think they can still improve an area of the park as the area in front of Galaxy is seriously in need of some improvements. It could also potentially include the area around prospectors pizza, batting cages, and the bumper cars.

Speaking of area at Darien Lake that needs improvement, I could think of two other places in the that needs improvement; the Ride of Steel/Predator area and Hook's Lagoon!

Why would expect so much when the park literally tells you it will be a new show when it said "entertainment announcement"?

If it was a new ride, it would be "attraction announcement".

I figured that it would only be a show as it was an entertainment announcement.

However everyone on this thread and elsewhere is jumping to the conclusion that this IS the only announcement. My gut feeling is that something else is coming as a show and new ride is very doable (Ignite the Night and Blast Off plus the other rehabs last year). DL could have done a better job specifying if or if not this is the only new addition.

OH MY FREAKING GOD JUST STOP ALREADY STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP

If you don't have anything to say of value, just don't say it. Please.

If you've already said what you are about to say, don't say it. Chances are the few brave souls who actually read this thread have heard you say it.

If you are about to post ANYTHING, stop and read it. Read it again. Does it make sense? No? Then don't post it.

I'm not trying to backseat-mod here, but holy cow please, I know many of us are from the upstate region and this is the park that we feel connected/fanboy-ish towards but there is a fine line between enthusiast and enthusiast with no knowledge of how parks operate and/or self-perception of one's status as an enthusiast. And many of us are no longer even toeing the line at all.

This was the announcement. Darien Lake has not implied there will be any other announcement. When they do announce such an announcement, then speculation can begin. If not, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS HOLY USE THIS THREAD:www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35614

*Non wild speculation post*

Most of the park really needs an update. So that isn't saying much. I think the worst area right now is the cuda area. You have very outdate lockers and changing rooms. A queue line/catch pool falling apart. The area smells terrible. The slides are a mechanical nightmare. And then you have the Chernobyl disaster right next door. This year is going to be the 20th birthday for those slides. On their facebook they did say that they would discuss those slides future in a ride of the week post. So we could see some changes there (hopeful thinking).

Speaking of area at Darien Lake that needs improvement, I could think of two other places in the that needs improvement; the Ride of Steel/Predator area and Hook's Lagoon!

Yes, we know. This is only the billionth time its been brought up. Hook's Lagoon needs improvements? I don't think it really does. There are other areas the park would be better of spending money then on that. Ride of Steel area certainly could use some fixing up but that's not happening this year. There's a pattern to areas being improved which is something new for that area of the park. Since there's nothing new over it won't been happening this year and it wouldn't really make sense for it to either...