TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

^ Darien Lake is also my home park. However, I think that most of the criticism is justified. Compared to many other parks in the country Darien Lake is pretty lacking. I for one am still unhappy with the current state the park is in, but I do see improvement.

If Cuda Falls gets the axe, but they do decide to keep that area of land part of the water park I think they should install a slide complex similar to what Dorney is getting for 2014. They both are similar as Dorney's is also built on a hill and I think that it would be a great addition to the park.

If Cuda Falls gets the axe, but they do decide to keep that area of land part of the water park I think they should install a slide complex similar to what Dorney is getting for 2014. They both are similar as Dorney's is also built on a hill and I think that it would be a great addition to the park.

I agree with you 100%. A nice Proslide complex would be a great addition. This could be great for thrill seekers and families. Add a 6 lane mat racing slide and some speed slides with trap doors and the whole family is satisfied. Even if Cuda wasn't suffering any problems, I still think that it is time for it to be retired, considering that it is 20 years old and Floodgate Falls hasn't been used for years. Even when it is open, if there is a long line, I will not ride it. It's sort of a been there, done that thing.

Id be just fine with Cuda Falls getting the Ax. Same with Floodgate Falls. And seeing what slides other parks are coming out with, I could see the possibility of some stellar attractions added to spashtown in the future. (No set year obviously since its just discussion but If i had to guess I'd say no sooner than 2016)

Hey Darien Lake pros, I'm headed to Canada's Wonderland this Sunday for the first time and I'm contemplating leaving early to try and get DL in. So, if I leave let's say, the Cleveland area in the morning and need to be in Toronto that night, would there be enough time on Saturday to do this park? I'm interested in hitting the coasters (maybe ROS more than once), the log flume, and some flats. Would crowds permit getting all of that done? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

^This is a tough one. I would say on a normal day yes, but this season is full of surprises. Don't count getting on the log flume because it is drained and seems to be closed for the season. Most flats are operating on a rotation system, meaning some rides are open in the morning, some in the night. It's all depending on crowds. If there is an event like a concert, crowds will be more packed, otherwise it should be a slower day. If you could tell me what flats you plan on hitting, I may be able to help a little more with time planning.

Now that I look at it I can see the Smiler comparison. I was just thinking how ironic would it be if Six Flags Just beat Darien Lake to the punchline for the record they want to attempt. Anyways still looking forward to any sort of reveal. But with all the other announcements going on, I'm rather content and ok with waiting.

^Nope, it changes every year. Sometimes it is near spring, sometimes around now or in September, and a couple of times near Christmas. Last year, I remember hearing about Blast Off in September, and signs showed up around the park near Fright Fest. However, the year before Rowdy's Ridge was announced on the last day of March.

It's pretty damn annoying that parks are announcing their major rides at a fast pace now while darien doesn't even give a hint of an announcement. Not do they respond to fan emails in any way. This half assed management is bunk.

^ Though that does make sense. I would laugh if, after they approved the Ride of Steel almost 15 years ago, they decline the lake monster. sure I'd be upset. But it would make me chuckle at the thought of that.

Anyways back on topic. How difficult is it to get something approved by Genesee county? Does anyone know? Just asking!

Just out of curiosity - why would Genessee County need to approve a new ride that's going to be placed where an existing ride is already located? I could see if height restrictions were involved or if the park was located near a residential area bringing concern by the residents but Darien is really out in the middle of nowhere.

Just out of curiosity - why would Genessee County need to approve a new ride that's going to be placed where an existing ride is already located? I could see if height restrictions were involved or if the park was located near a residential area bringing concern by the residents but Darien is really out in the middle of nowhere.

Doesn't matter, building permits are still needed and possibly even an environmental study if not other things. Everything moves pretty slowly in NY.

Hmmm... It seems like there is a new haunted attraction for Fright Fest this year called "Dark Waters".

From the DL website:

When darkness falls on Darien Lake park guests are greeted with a foreboding sense of doom. Dark Waters is the new Fall Event at Darien Lake. Dark Waters flagship experience, “The Child in the Lake” is the regions first amphibious haunted experience, telling the story over land and water. “The Child in the Lake” chronicles the fictional disappearance of Clarisse Whitham, a missing child cold-case from the 1980s. Guests will begin their experience as they accompany a documentary crew compiling clues about the mysterious event. They will then board a pontoon boat and head for the site where she was last seen. In addition, guests will have access to Dr DC East’s Haunted Boathouse, a separate experience but still ties into the story of the missing child. Ignite the Night presented by TOPS will kick off with a special daredevil performance from Master Illusionist Aaron Radatz as he attempts to escape from a straitjacket dangling 60’ in the air above Ignites burning lake of fire.

In my personal experience I have yet to have a bad experience at Darien. I don't know what it is with these people but EVERY TIME i go its juts fine. Sure there was only one train running on the coasters but I didn't notice anything else bad. Darien and Herschend are doing a good job fixing up the park. GIVE THEM TIME! Thanks

Not trying to justify their staffing issue, but perhaps I can offer some insight. Darien Lake finds itself in a peculiar location this time of year. They might be "Buffalo's Park," but they are really secluded pretty deep into suburbs. When they don't offer housing, it's tough to find some help from local college students who usually wouldn't prefer driving that far to work everyday (students make up the vast majority of ride operators). The major colleges and universities are not very conveniently located near Darien Lake at all.

Where am I getting this theory? Well I have experience in the world of short staffing at amusement parks. We are lucky in Erie to have three sizable universities within 20 minutes of the park, and a fourth within 30 minutes. We heavily incentivized our ride operators to have their friends moving into college come and work the last couple weekends. Of course we had a few days where certain rides opened late and a couple not at all, but we managed to keep the damages controlled. Never was a major attraction closed, only the least ridden children's ride, Mini Enterprise, and the least ridden flat, Paratrooper, experienced a closure due to understaffing.

About non-ride operators and full-time staff operating rides. This is not a Darien Lake thing, but a common thing across the industry. Twice this season I have given up my managerial duties for the day to operate rides in order to keep all of our rides open. Also, certain positions on rides do not require as extensive of training as other ride operator positions. Training lap bar checkers (on some rides), exit attendants, and teaching some children's attractions do not require an exhaustive amount of time by any means. Simple planning ahead can make a non-rides person a safe, functional, and efficient ride attendant. Therefore, I wouldn't fear a typically non-rides employee working some positions on rides like a couple guest comments suggested.

Hopefully, Darien Lake can find some solutions and continue growing.

I have a season pass but haven't had a chance to go since July (lengthy TPR tour + working), and was perplexed from the first few reviews since I didn't think it was that bad. It needed a lot of improvement, but I wouldn't say I had a bad time. The reviews reflect this as they aren't nearly as bad in July.

Man, things must have gone downhill in the past month. I'm going to head over there Saturday to see what's up.