TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

He likely meant some of Predator's footers have the orange spray paint on them...not new footers for what will be Lake Monster.

I think we all understand that. But you don't go around spray painting footers of an existing coaster if something isn't going to happen to it!

The park has gone to the city with plans to "renovate" Predator. This is happening, folks.

‘Predator’ slated for renovation

Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2013 12:15 am

By Paul Mrozek

Darien Lake Theme Park plans to renovate one of its thrill rides, a wooden roller coaster called The Predator.

The Genesee County Planning Board met Thursday and recommended the town of Darien approve the proposed site plan for the project. The site plan summary sheet described the renovation work as “re-tracking and adding new unique elements and trains. Alterations to The Predator will not change the size of the ride’s footprint, according to the theme park’s request. Darien Lake’s application did not contain any more specifics on the ride renovation.

The county Planning Department, in its referral to the board, stated “the roller coaster is a permitted use in a Recreation Zoning District and does not appear to present any significant impacts upon surrounding land uses.”

The Darien Town Planning Board has the final authority on the theme park application.

Source: http://thedailynewsonline.com/news/article_9f51610a-016d-11e3-bc2f-0019bb2963f4.html

I will hopefully be up at the park this weekend. I will try to investigate, get pics, and ask around a little to get some info. I am pretty sure that this will use topper track, and GCI may help with structural engineering. Although it seems wrong for a coaster manufacturer to help a competitor, as long as they are getting paid, they do not care.

^Sundays tend to be less crowded as Saturdays, but more crowded than a weekday. There is a special event this Sunday, so crowds will most likely be higher. RoS and Blast Off will have the longest wait times, both averaging around an hour. If you are lucky, sometimes RoS will have a 40 minute wait as long as maintenance is well. Predator and Mind Eraser sometimes are a 20 minute wait, but can reach up to 45 minutes. Viper and Boomerang vary, depending on operators. Expect a 20 minute wait for those. Motocoaster may be a 30 minute wait if the line is long. As for water rides and the water park, all of the in park water rides have long waits. The water park will be even more packed with Cuda Falls being down. Big Kahuna can reach an hour and a half wait, with Tornado and Swirl City 40-45 minutes.

Edit: All of those wait times are for the back seat on coasters, so the front will most likely be longer.

I always hate when this thread freezes. You know, when it goes on for days and days without a post? Considering the possibility of Lake Monster becoming increasingly more realistic... shouldn't the thread be a little more well; exciting?

I'm still at the park but thought I'd post a quick update. Predator opened late today so the surveyors could get in and basically point lasers at things and other fun stuff.

Other than that, there is no real noticeable change on site. However, the ride-ops are very enthusiastic about Lake Monster, admitting that while they may not know much about it, there is a lot of talk and that they are hopeful about it coming next season.

I always hate when this thread freezes. You know, when it goes on for days and days without a post? Considering the possibility of Lake Monster becoming increasingly more realistic... shouldn't the thread be a little more well; exciting?

It's hard to really talk about anything until we actually see something. Sure, I'm excited for the possibility of this project, but I haven't really seen anything.

^It's been two days. And please don't bump threads unless you have something with substance to add. If people want to discuss something about Darien Lake, they will.

Yes I know, I was just saying it would be nice to do some real "discussing" on the Discussion thread. Anyways I'm shocked Ride-Ops would be mentioning the Lake Monster before it's confirmation... That seems like something that in any other park would cause for punishment (Kings Island i think.. and Especially Cedar Point) I mean leave it to darien lake to loosely cover up a new coaster and all but some parks keep their new rides tightly under wraps until announcement day. Sometimes you can just see the more Laid Back aspect of it in Parks like Darien. Still excited though!