TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Not surprised to see HFEC return to RMC. Outlaw Run is an amazing ride experience and HFEC sure likes to replicate success across all of their parks.

The name is certainly not final, outlaw run's original concept name was "The Bull". This concept pitch does indicate that this is the direction they're headed though. All of SDC's recent major attractions were introduced through similar surveys.

Seems like a logical step for them to take now that they've fixed up a fair bit of the park. I hope they design/build from scratch rather than rebuilding Predator since it seems like RMC does even better when they have a clean slate to work with.

All of SDC's recent major attractions were introduced through similar surveys.

Looks like a step in the right direction. I know that it's not official yet, but why would the park put in so much work to get the stats and everything if they were going to scrap the idea? I would say that there is a 70% chance that the ride is a go as of now.

It's kinda funny that they are doing it now after all of the other record-breaking woodies have been built this year. I wonder if they waited to see what SDC, SFFT, AND MT Olympus would do and then come up with something to beat it.

Speaking of the Topper Track, how smooth is Outlaw Run anyway? Is it El Toro smooth, GCII smooth, Gravity Group smooth, or B&M smooth? I've always been curious yet I won't have the opportunity to travel out of the GMT-5 Timezone for a while.

Edit: Was that the only new possible attraction mentioned?

Yes, the survey took about 5 minutes to complete and this was the only concept in the survey. The questions were basically, "would this compel you to return to Darien Lake," and, "would you tell your friends about this." Ect. Ect.

Edit: Putting this here so people do not have to back up a page.

[attachment=0]thumb_screenshot_2013-07-19-08-07-02.png[/attachment]

It has been a long time since I was even really interested in going to Darien Lake. Last time I was there was during the Six Flags years and it was less then enjoyable. But I've read some good things on these forums about the park improving over the last few years. This ride would really get me back there ASAP. That would be a huge addition for them.

Lake Monster is said in the teaser to be 3,190 feet long. Here are some measurements of other coasters to compare to.

Viper- 3,100 Feet

Predator- 3,400 Feet

Ride of Steel- 5,400 Feet

Outlaw Run- 2,937 Feet

So, Lake Monster would be longer than Outlaw Run, and about 90 feet longer than Viper.

Speaking of the Topper Track, how smooth is Outlaw Run anyway? Is it El Toro smooth, GCII smooth, Gravity Group smooth, or B&M smooth? I've always been curious yet I won't have the opportunity to travel out of the GMT-5 Timezone for a while.

It's pretty darn smooth considering the extreme speeds and forces that the train is going through. There's one point in the ride where there's a bit of a jar because there isn't enough banking and the side-wheels slam into the inner part of the track, but most of the elements are very nice. It's worth noting though that OR's track was built out of pre-fab sections, rather than a piece of steel being added onto an existing track bed.

I think the specific details in the concept pitch reveal that RMC and HFEC have already been in serious consultation for some time now. I think we can just about assume that this coaster is going to come to DL at some point, but I wouldn't assume that it is coming in 2014 necessarily. I know lots of major HFEC projects get delayed for various reasons, and they may not even be that far along with this yet anyway and are shooting for 2015/2016 as it is. I think the point of pitching the concept to pass-holders is to see if there are other major issues with the park that need to be resolved first before they throw a major attraction in.

^Why can't they do both? Make various improvements parkwide (I.E. repaint Ride of Steel and Mind Eraser and new lights for Giant Wheel) and put in the new coaster. They had kind of done in past years like repainting 'Cuda Falls and moving the lockers into the former "Barracuda Bay" water park entrance when they expanded the water park as well as repainting Viper in 2010, in 2012 they repainted Corn Popper and got rid of the fading "Gotham City" mural from Galaxy Theater since they're not using.

Building a coaster takes a lot more than painting. My dad painted RoS when it first opened. The track is sprayed first, then the supports are rolled. It's pretty simple. But with building a coaster, land needs to be prepped, footers need to be poured, lumber needs to be cut, etc. etc.

Looks like we may kiss Lake Monster goodbye. A person was just thrown off of New Texas Giant and was killed.

Quit making terrible posts. There has been absolutely zero information as to what caused the accident at SFOT today, and to jump to such a conclusion is ridiculous.