TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

A ride the size of Tony Hawk won't fit in the Galaxy Theater but why not make the ride part indoor, part outdoor? Does it really have to totally be in the building?

The building is only 165 ft. by 110 ft. so maybe if Darien Lake decides to put a Gerstlauer 380/4 spinning coaster in it. They would have to make it be 88.6 ft x 144.3 ft, the same dimensions as the Schwarzkopf Jet Star version of Nightmare at Phantom Cave.

I would think if Darien Lake were to get a Big Spin clone (Gerstlauer 380/4 model), it would be up to the management people to decided weather or not to put the ride in Galaxy Theater, use part of Galaxy Theater or demolish Galaxy Theater for the coaster. They could even re-route Viper's exit for the ride's entrance and exit so that the ride can be a part of Rowdy's Ridge, but they wold have to move Ranger to the part of the campground near Twister and the go karts.

^Dude, please, I beg of you. You have mentioned that Darien Lake should put in a Gerstlauer 380/4 spinning coaster 17 times in this thread in less than a month. I know because I counted. It was bugging me that much. The people who comment in this thread are generally fans of Darien Lake just like you, but I think we all understand that a) Darien Lake management is not trolling enthusiast sites to decide what new attraction they will put in and b) that we understand that you think it would be cool if they put this coaster in the Galaxy Theater.

I'm not trying to be mean spirited, even though this may come off rude, it is just that the hints we have been dropping through this thread do not seem to be getting the message across. I personally would like to discuss Darien Lake further than blind speculation about what they could potentially put in if they were to add a roller coaster, I just think that unless they start teasing something there is absolutely no reason to begin thinking that it's "time" for a new ride or that a certain ride would "fit well" in the park.

All anger aside, you are clearly the most dedicated fan to stay by Darien Lake's side I have ever seen.

^Well, I have confidence in Darien Lake need of a new coaster in the future weather it spins or not. Although they wouldn't be teasing about a new coaster for 2014 when the start of the season is only a few days away. Maybe we'll see a teaser for next year's coaster around toward the end of the season like they did last year with the Blast Off teaser.

I do sound like that I'm "begging" Darien Lake to get a Gerstlauer Spinning Coaster (380/4 model), but I doubt they would browse around a theme park/coaster enthusiast site and have management think "Hmm, maybe we should take our "overzealous" fan's suggestion for a Gerstlauer 380/4 spinning coaster in 2014!".

Overzealous is perhaps the best word to describe me when it come to Darien Lake, that's why my username is "DarienLaker"!

To add to Coaster Cow's post, you might as well drop any aspirations for using the Galaxy theatre or whatever over random large buildings for ride purposes. You can't simply hollow out a building and throw a ride in it. There are so many considerations to deal with such as air exchanges and fire suppression that it would just be silly to deal with.

DL is doing fantastic with their recent additions anyway. The park sounds like it is being transformed right before our eyes. In the past few years they've overhauled the waterpark, a kid's area, and now the lake front. It sounds like they're just moving through the park bit by bit, bringing it up to HFEC standards. I'm really excited to hear about how the boardwalk turns out.

They could just demolish Galaxy Theater and put in a new coaster if upkeep of building is a concern. If they did put another coaster in Galaxy Theater, they would just leave the building for dead kind of like what Cedar Point did with the Disaster Transport building. There just too many issues with an enclosed ride/coaster, it's just a maintenance nightmare. No wonder there's a few indoor rides/coaster outside of a Disney or Universal theme park.

So from what Shavethewhales said, is that Herscend is trying get almost every area in Darien Lake a "theme". Last year was Rowdy' Ridge with three new kiddie/family rides plus a revamp of the existing kiddie coaster. This year it's the lakefront with the addition of Blast Off and Anchor Bar, Viper getting new train decals, sign and entrance (maybe they could shorten the long que line that hardly ever gets fill up now a days) and a new night show. Next year it should be either a new coaster in where Galaxy Theater was (and outside one) or the area that Ride of Steel is in (which would result in retheming the Ride of Steel).

^Like others have said, please stop posting blind speculation at what Darien Lake should add in the future. It's okay every once and a while, but making a couple of posts a page about it, is pushing the limits of "posting for posting sake". Really unless there is something active to post about with Darien Lake, there really doesn't need to be any discussion going on. We strive for quality over quantity in this forum, and blind speculation like this should probably take place on a Darien Lake fan site or something.

Like others have said, please stop posting blind speculation at what Darien Lake should add in the future. It's okay every once and a while, but making a couple of posts a page about it, is pushing the limits of "posting for posting sake". Really unless there is something active to post about with Darien Lake, there really doesn't need to be any discussion going on. We strive for quality over quantity in this forum, and blind speculation like this should probably take place on a Darien Lake fan site or something.

Maybe ernierocker's right, Darien Lake was neglected for years while under Six Flags ownership after Ride of Steel was built. Parc and now Herschend are trying to give Darien Lake some TLC after Six Flags "ruined" it. Darien Lake hasn't had a theme in years or at least since they were called "Fun Country" in the early 1980s.

Although the idea of Darien Lake getting a new coaster for next year has been just overrated, despite the fact that it has been at least five years since they put in new coaster (Motocoaster). Maybe they should just work with the coasters they already got, they're going to give Viper a new entrance and new sign and train decals, so that's a start.

Where is that octopus located in the park today?

I think on Darien Lake (the lake) as a fountain spout to make that fanning water effect that is seen in the middle of the lake.

The octopus guy was removed from the raft ride in 1999 when the kiddie land became Looney Tunes seaport and that's when the raft ride became known as "Pepe Lew Pew's Rafts of Romance" and the patched up sails on the ride where replaced with ones with a heart on it.

I miss the days when this thread was so inactive that when I saw it on page 1 I knew there was actually real news in regards to Darien Lake.

Now it has gotten to the point where I ignore this thread most of the time. So if something noteworthy happened I'd miss it.

I miss the days when this thread was so inactive that when I saw it on page 1 I knew there was actually real news in regards to Darien Lake.

Now it has gotten to the point where I ignore this thread most of the time. So if something noteworthy happened I'd miss it.

Maybe I should stop posting on this thread unless I hear rumors or actual news about Darien Lake instead of posting nostalgic crap and about what they should put in next year (a Gerstlauer 380/4 spinning coaster).

I don't post here often, but I thought I would let everyone know that Darien Lake uploaded the new 2013 map on their site today...

http://darienlake.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Darien-Lake-2013-Park-Map.pdf

A few changes I have noticed:

-UFO is completely gone off the map

-Sky Coaster had been Renamed Red Hawk

-The Park now has several distinct zones, or lands...very "theme" park-ish

-Galaxy Theater is also completely off the map. (Probably to prepare for the new spinning coaster next year Haha )

Looks like a nice map refresh!

I don't post here often, but I thought I would let everyone know that Darien Lake uploaded the new 2013 map on their site today...

http://darienlake.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Darien-Lake-2013-Park-Map.pdf

A few changes I have noticed:

-UFO is completely gone off the map

-Sky Coaster had been Renamed Red Hawk

-The Park now has several distinct zones, or lands...very "theme" park-ish

-Galaxy Theater is also completely off the map. (Probably to prepare for the new spinning coaster next year Haha )

Looks like a nice map refresh!

I find it wrong for Viper to be in the Rowdy's Ridge area of Darien Lake when it should in the Niagara Frontier area. I wonder if Darien Lake had demolish Galaxy Theater for a future ride (spinning coaster in 2014! )? And also I wonder if Scrambler is going to come back in UFO's place?

And I've also notice they now have a Cedar Fair style "thrill" rating system indicated by different colored symbols. I was kind of expecting Blast Off! to have a 48" height requirement as oppose to the 52" requirement they have listed and speaking of height requirements they now have raised Boomerang's height requirement to 54".

I wonder if Darien Lake had demolish Galaxy Theater for a future ride (spinning coaster in 2014! )? And also I wonder if Scrambler is going to come back in UFO's place?

Will the spinning coaster thing ever end? We get it... You want a spinning coaster. Galaxy is SBNO again this season.

I've been looking forward to seeing the new map and it's very interesting in how they "themed" the park, which I don't think any of us were expecting. It makes it even more interesting in what Herschend will do in the future to enhance those themes.

I noticed the mini golf that was inside Viper is gone. Just as well as that course needed a makeover badly and I hardly saw anyone golfing. BTW, I don't find it wrong they have Viper in Rowdy's Ridge. Ranger doesn't exactly fit in that area either.

^The only that Ranger became a part of Rowdy's Ridge was because it was already in the area and they didn't fell like moving it. As for Viper, it exits out to Rowdy's Ridge next to Ranger, but its entrance and que line is in the Niagara Frontier area.