TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

^Yeah, I hated that at first but then I kinda grew to like it. Made it look more unique I think, and I don't think the park draws enough people to justify filling all the gondolas.

And maybe a little quicker if they don't put all the gondolas back on the wheel. Giant Wheel looked odd having an empty space after every three gondolas last year.

The way Giant Wheel looked last year was kind of an embarrassment for the ride seeing it look incomplete makes it not a Ferris Wheel, but an "Embarrass Wheel"!

Let's just hope Giant Wheel has all of its gondolas on this year even if it doesn't get new lights on it (They probably put new lights on it next year)!

^ I think it's unlikely the wheel will have all of it's gondolas this year either. I worked it last year and we were all told that once the 10 that were being refurbished returned, another 10 would go out to be refurbished. I agree with Doug, it was strange at first but then I got used to it and it looked fine.

I do miss the lights on it though. It would be really awesome to see it lit up again!

I always envisioned it as steel-grey with black supports. Hence, Ride of Steel

It was originally Superman: Ride of Steel. Then Six Flags sold DL and they dropped the Superman title. Hence the red and blue paint. If you were being serious.

^The Ride of Steel need's an overhaul, perhaps a new name and paint job (anything but the "Superman" red and blue) and maybe the mist back on (did Ride of Steel had mist before?) and maybe another ride/attraction in the vicinity of Ride of Steel.

^The Ride of Steel need's an overhaul, perhaps a new name and paint job (anything but the "Superman" red and blue) and maybe the mist back on (did Ride of Steel had mist before?) and maybe another ride/attraction in the vicinity of Ride of Steel.

I don't doubt that it needs an overhaul or at least a fresh coat of paint and tlc. I've only been to DL once and it was a terrible experience back when it was SFDL in 2006. Only stopped there on the way to CP because we had SF passes. I liked ROS and that was about it but I'm not gonna pretend I know anything about DL based on the horrible ops that one day. I think only 3 coasters were running that day.

What I meant by an "overhaul" for Ride of Steel is for Darien Lake to repaint it, give it a new name, and add flame and fog effects to it! While they're at they could remodel the station and make a new exit for it!

What I meant by an "overhaul" for Ride of Steel is for Darien Lake to repaint it, give it a new name, and add flame and fog effects to it! While they're at they could remodel the station and make a new exit for it!

Yeah, the could call it Bizarro!

I thought the missing gondolas were due to low ridership as well when I visited back in September. A little research revealed that they are rehabbing them, so that made me happy to know that.

Adding flames and fog to a roller coaster that is not in a theme park like Universal, Busch, or Disney is a bad idea in my opinion. Sounds like just another outlet for people to complain they aren't working when the weather gets to them in less a year, and the park doesn't have the time, expertise, and resources to maintain them like a major theme park can. I want Ride of Steel to receive a new identity as well, but Darien Lake has bigger issues to worry about currently. I think it was smart of them to touch up the sections in close view of the public until they have the time and resources to complete the overhaul. I hate to break it to everyone, but Ride of Steel having a generic name and a faded paintjob is not driving guests away. In fact, that project alone is not going to be a major attendance boost if any boost. Seeing what Darien Lake has done under Herschend with Rowdy's Ridge, and the new Boardwalk renovation among several other things, I have full confidence that in time they will attend to Ride of Steel. Apply the same reasoning to Giant Wheel, not having lights is not going to prevent guests from coming or increase attendance when they do install them. Give it time! Darien Lake is doing a lot of great things since Herschend took over!

^^They can't use the "Bizarro" name because Six Flags owns the rights to use DC Comics. I was thinking more of "The Enforcer" with a red track and black supports.

I think the idea of naming it Bizarro was intended a joke and not a reference to the DC Comic character.

^The ironic factor of it was that Six Flags New England rethemed their Ride of Steel as "Bizarro" and also Six Flags used to own Darien Lake. If Six Flags still owned Darien Lake they would rethemed Ride of Steel as "Bizarro".

If Six Flags still owned Darien Lake they would rethemed Ride of Steel as "Bizarro".

If it was still Six Flags Darien Lake, that wouldn't guarantee that Ride of Steel would be rethemed to Bizarro. Many Superman and Medusa coasters at Six Flags parks didn't receive the Bizarro makeover such as SFA's SRoS, which is a clone of the one at Darien Lake.

Yea I got what you meant.

^ Why get rid of the gift shop? People still go there and buy things. Why waste money tearing it down to build something new, only to lose more money by losing that source of revenue?

^But when the ride breaks down, and it seems like it does quite a bit, no one is down there to buy anything, same goes for the lonely food stand across the midway from it. I'm hoping that Hershcned has an eye on the RoS midway next after the boardwalk renovation this year.

^I'm not understanding your logic. Yes, when RoS was SBNO in 2011 they closed that midway because there was really no reason for guests to be there (In addition to the fact that they had replacement chain on pallets in the midway).

But, how would removing the gift shop and food court solve anything? It would just give guests less of a reason to go to that midway.

I'd like to see them move/axe some of the frightfest stuff and expand towards the end of that midway. A large flat ride would be a good choice as it would be viewable from the road.

^O.K. maybe I was making kind of a joke in my last post in this thread, but that whole area really needs a face lift and move the Fright Fest stuff to storage (they could move some it to the boat in Beaver Bros. Bay) and move UFO there when it comes back from the ride shop!

Edited by DarienLaker

This is a bit off the current topic, but a local town newspaper (Which has a historical archives section for 5 yrs ago, 10 yrs, etc.) reports that there was a fire that caused $750,000 - $1 million worth of damage to Darien Lake 25 years ago. I did a quick google such but nothing came up (probably due to the fact the internet didn't exist back then), but this is the first I've ever heard of this. Does anyone know anything about this?

^Nope, I didn't even know that 25 years ago that there was a fire at Darien Lake maybe the fire was near where The Predator is now and destroyed Thrillbilly!

The article says the fire destroyed a maintenance building, a break room and a couple of other buildings. Not sure if any rides were damaged or destroyed.

Also, turns out the giant wheel will be running all of it's gondolas this year!