TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

I did say "a part of me" would like to see RoS replaced. I know how insanely popular it is and it will never happen but come on, you can't say that you wouldn't mind seeing something a little better especially with all that Intamin has done since RoS first opened.

It seems everyone wants the "next big coaster" to come to the park. Why not improve what you already have?

I am perfectly fine with RoS. The only part that I dislike is the straight section after the first helix, but otherwise it has just as much air and G's as most of the other Intamin hypers, it just has fewer hills. And the helices are plenty forceful. As I have stated before, you have to factor in both the intensity and the duration of the G's. Since RoS is going so fast, they had to keep the diameter that large because they wanted a roughly 540 degree helix. This thing will most likely remain in service for an incredibly long time. If anything, I might see the trains replaced 10 or 20 years from now with new trains as it appears that Intamin's new trains have the same heartline. Obviously like any coaster it will come to a point when it will become cost prohibitive to continually refurbish it, but that point will not be for an incredibly long time thanks to the fact that 1: It's the star attraction at the park, so ridership will be very high for a long time, thus making investments in repair much more worth it and 2: It isn't THAT old and was built by modern construction and design techniques that are still in use today.

^I wouldn't be surprised that they would only run one train. This is not peak season for most northern parks.

The UB marching band (I'm one of the contras) marches/plays there in the morning and gets to ride stuff all day next Saturday. What rides were closed? (I have never gone during Fright Fest before.)

^ The water rides are closed for the season, but all the dry rides in the front ( Corn Popper, UFO, Sleigh Ride, Ranger, and Mind Eraser) were closed during past Fright Fests. With Rowdy's Ridge, I don't think that would no longer be the case for this year and future Fright Fests (if there's going to be anymore Halloween events at Darien Lake in 2013-beyond).

Their fright fest is pretty horrible, it's usually insanely crowded and rides have super long lines because there aren't enough rides open. Also $24.99 is expensive, you can get in during the regular season for just a bit more after promo's and you get the whole park. The actual fright fest stuff leaves a lot to be desired.

In my opinion, Halloween events make a lot of parks look bad. I read reviews from sites like TripAdvisor, and a common criticism of any park is closed rides in the fall seasons. All I ask is that people don't judge this park solely based on Fright Fest. Take a walk around Darien Lake on any normal day, and you will realize that this park is not Six Flags anymore. True, their operations are not Cedar Fair fast, but they are not Kennywood slow. Actually, Hersheypark wasn't much better at all in terms of efficiency this fall (I did both parks in consecutive weekends this fall). Resources are limited, and parks must do what they can to get by. If anyone has worked at a park in a small market like Darien Lake is in, they will realize why they can't open all of the rides this time of the year. There is simply not enough staffing! Finding people to work these weekends after Labor Day is tough. Students move away in the fall, and new ones coming in do not want to commit to some weekend job that ends in October (I'm a student). Seniors hardly last operating rides (no offense, but experience tells). People criticize the park I work at because we aren't open past Labor Day, but they don't want to see the product if we tried. I'm not trying to kiss Darien Lake's ass as they are far from perfect, but Darien Lake is nowhere near as bad as some like to lead on.

Rant over.

^^RANT WARNING!!!!!!!!

I think there should no more "Fright Fest" at Darien Lake if they're just going to be doing it on Friday nights and Saturdays only. It would save the park some money if they didn't have it all in 2013 and beyond. Besides they should rename/theme the Ride f Steel to something that isn't a "shell" to Six Flags!

It's pointless to have Fright Fest when you're not even open through Halloween though it's understandable given the location of the park but it would be easier to just have a fall/harvest festival those last remaining weeks. Bring in some live entertainment, people to sell crafts, maybe a few food vendors so you're not totally relying on staffing all the food stands, maybe offer one haunted house, and keep most of the rides open if possible. Reduce admission if you have to if you'll end up having limited availability of rides.

Just an idea.

^ A corn maze, that's what should replace "Fright" Fest for next year! They could have all the kiddie rides open with a family haunted house and a kids trick or treat trail and it wouldn't be called Fright Fest, it would called "Darien Lake's Fall Fun Fest"!

If it didn't make money, they'd stop doing it. It's obviously still making them money if they're still doing it.

Legoland's Brick or Treat event draws ridiculously huge weekend crowds. As does Knott's and Disney, and most haunt events.

People like the atmosphere and scares they get with the price of admission. They'll change the name of the event if they get a better one...or if they have the money to do marketing for a new name. Even re-naming the event would require a decent amount of marketing, aka money. It's all about money.they'll re-name ride of Steel when they come up with a solution to profit from.

Wow, I never realized how much the GP of DL like Viper. Recently I've been watching DL stuff (No idea why) but people are saying it everywhere! It seems like most of the online GP of DL considers Viper equivalent with ROS, some even like it better. I don't know if you care about this, I just think it's pretty cool, as a Arrow fan myself.

I've also heard that DL Viper is much smoother since it's been under HFE-level maintenance. Maybe Arrow's don't age as bad as we think they do, maybe it's just park maintenance (as in SF & CF level will lead to unpleasant experience).

I also like the Launch Tower addition, I think it'll be great for the park.

^Viper is on the smoother side of the Arrow multi-looper spectrum, about on par with Demon at SFGAm. As far as the GP opinion of the ride, compared to ROS, the lines will tell the true story. Assuming two train operation on both rides, a 30 min. wait for ROS will mean Viper is walk-on, and an hour wait for ROS will mean 10 min. for Viper.

Viper's my favorite at the park. I agree that the boomerang does jar you a bit but it's an overall smooth coaster. The longest I've waited to ride was when the line stretched out to where the base of the vertical loop is and the wait wasn't that long either. Majority of the time Viper is a walk on to a minimum station wait.