TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

^^^An interesting possibility, and it probably would solve the vertical clearance issue without having to make the drop tower feel cluttered against the Chicken Ranch Cafe's southern wall, and would actually provide a little more queue room for Pitt Fall, as well as meaning that those trees between Raging Seas and Corn Popper wouldn't have to be removed.

^At least Darien Lake has more thrill rides than Martin's Fantasy Island, but Darien Lake needs some things to be done in 2013, they're listed below

. Add a Drop Tower (Kennywood's Pitt Fall might be coming )

. Add new lights to the Giant Wheel (they have been putting it off for years!)

. Add a family coaster in Galaxy Theater

^^The reason why it appears to be that you think that they have given up on thrill seekers is because they haven't addressed them in any of the recent additions, but the reason that seems most obvious to me is not that they are forgetting thrill seekers, but that they are trying to even out the package. Sure, we have not gotten a *real* thrill ride in 13 years, but at least we have a good collection of thrill rides. We had nothing in the way of a family coaster; there needed to be a stepping stone between Brain Teaser/Hoot N Holler and Predator, and Motocoaster filled that need. That was aimed more at the medium range group.

Though the new additions are still family rides, they appear to be emphasizing that kids are the main target audience. Although the park still has those older kiddie/family rides, they aren't really marketable due to the fact that they are old. To get the families to come to the park in the first place, they need to build a few family rides and advertise those so that the families will know that at least something is there for them and then they will discover the other family rides as they roam throughout the park. Darien Lake has been established as a thrill park, so the park needs to round out its package and repair its reputation before we get in enough people to bring in enough cash to build something big again.

I have confidence that another coaster will come to the park eventually. Since they fixed the immediate need of kiddie and family rides, they now have to satisfy the "lesser" need of thrill rides, but they need something that can be put up relatively quickly to prop up the park in the short term, so the guests can be held over for when that new coaster would come around, which takes time to build. Since it typically takes about two years to build a coaster from start to finish, my guess is that 2013 will be Pitt Fall's reopening over here. That will bring a fair amount of thrill seekers back into the park to hold over everyone. 2013 could be spent on fixing up the park in terms of lights, paths, etc. and the 2013 off season and 2014 "on season" will be spent conjuring up proposals for the next coaster, and we could be seeing groundbreaking by nearing the end of the 2014 season.

I know, more waiting. Yes, we have waited a long time for a new coaster, but it looks like we finally got a reputable company that can actually take care of the park. I believe we may finally be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, even if the light is fairly small at this point, it is light nonetheless.

^^Motocoaster didn't really fill in the gap between Brain Teaser/Hoot N Holler and Predator, it more filled in the gap between Predator and Ride of Steel with the height requirement being 48". What Darien Lake needs is a family coaster for the 42/46" and taller group as a true stepping stone between Brain Teaser/Hoot N Holler and Predator!

I was a bit disappointed that the little bit of paint they did apply to RoS was the same color. I would have preferred something that didn't scream "Superman". The red track is fine but the supports should be a different color - dark gray possibly? Hopefully when they get around to painting Mind Eraser they will choose a totally new color scheme for not only the track but also the trains.

I just don't think that Darien will get a thrill ride if anything.The park is trying to focus on families, but that is what Fantasy Island is for.

I wouldn't necessarily say that Martin's is focusing solely on families. There seems to be much more growth going on at MFI than at Darien in recent years at least in the thrill ride department. Mind Warp and Devil's Hole (even though it's just a replacement for the Starship 2000) are thrill rides. Mega Disk'O and Full Tilt and, to an extent, Flight are right on the border of family and thrill rides.

I would like if they got rid of the go karts and put a ride there.

I very highly agree. The go-carts and batting cage are a waste of space. Other than Tin Lizzys and Twister that particular stretch of pavement is dead.

I was a huge Pitt Fall fan when it was here at Kennywood, so I'd love to see it live on somewhere else, especially at a park that's not too terribly far away. It'll be interesting to see if there's any truth to these rumors.

I always kinda liked Darien Lake's setting, I just wish the park had 1 more upper tier coaster to complement Ride of Steel (ideally a real wooden coaster, since Predator is garbage IMHO). I like when you're driving down the road leading to the park, and you pass farm after farm, and then BAM - a gorgeous steel coaster pops up out of nowhere!

I would like if they got rid of the go karts and put a ride there.

I very highly agree. The go-carts and batting cage are a waste of space. Other than Tin Lizzys and Twister that particular stretch of pavement is dead.

I agree too, the area between Tin Lizzy's and Twister is pretty much a "dead end" they really need something to replace the go karts like a small coaster or a ride.

^ They will never set up the Batman coaster from Six Flags Astroworld for three reasons:

A. Six Flags sold Darien Lake years ago

B. The coaster is old and rusted

C. When the coaster was moved from Texas to New York it wasn't dismantled properly

And now you know why Darien Lake didn't bother to set the coaster up ever since they got it!