TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

I could see Rowdy's Ridge being open since it is new but they'll probably close off Mind Eraser and the Thunder Rapids/Corn Popper area.

I wonder how much longer those Huss rides will last. It seems like UFO goes down often. Ranger had issues a couple years ago.

Parts for the Huss rides that Darien Lake are rare,so we could see those Huss rides getting the axe in the future, the first one being UFO, then Ranger, then last but not least Corn Popper.

As for Fright Fest for this year they should have all the dry rides open (including Sleigh Ride, Corn Popper, Ranger, and Mind Eraser) as well as the kiddie rides (Beaver Bros. Bay and Rowdy's Ridge).

I could see Rowdy's Ridge being open since it is new but they'll probably close off Mind Eraser and the Thunder Rapids/Corn Popper area.

I wonder how much longer those Huss rides will last. It seems like UFO goes down often. Ranger had issues a couple years ago.

Parts for the Huss rides that Darien Lake are rare,so we could see those Huss rides getting the axe in the future, the first one being UFO, then Ranger, then last but not least Corn Popper.

As for Fright Fest for this year they should have all the dry rides open (including Sleigh Ride, Corn Popper, Ranger, and Mind Eraser) as well as the kiddie rides (Beaver Bros. Bay and Rowdy's Ridge).

The parts are rare, unless Huss still makes them for there old rides like A.R.M. did for the kamikazes. Plus the Huss Bee Bee is baisically the same ride as the Corn Popper, and those are still in production. The Mind Eraser will probably be closed for F.F.

I am sure this was already said but why are HUSS parts so rare?

Because the Huss rides that Darien Lake has are no longer being made by Huss, so if it comes to a point where one the Huss rides is in need of repair they might have to get rid of that ride.

If you want to get technical, I would argue that ALL Huss parts are rare now when you consider it how long it takes them to get them delivered to parks.

It does take very long to send big parts here from Germany. We all saw last season how long it took to fix the RoS after the lift chain broke.

I haven't made it to Darien Lake this season. Was UFO down? Is there any reason to believe that it would be removed?

Yes, UFO was down a lot since mid August. I just got word that the UFO, Raging Seas, Corn Popper, and Ranger are closed for the rest of the season. Maybe it is true that both are leaving. Ranger has been down since the beginning of September. The Mind Eraser, Sleigh Ride, and Rowdy's Ridge rides are open for F.F. Also the Twister is being called, Twister Posessed, and I wonder if it is just a name, or will it have different cycles?

Didn't Ranger just get a slight refurb recently? I will say that Ranger does seem awkward as a part of Rowdy's Ridge and would be nice if it was relocated though a Zamperla Hawk does the exact same thing, is a much more modern ride and would be a worthy replacement.

Looking at the park map I wouldn't mind seeing a drop tower go in UFO's spot instead of Raging Sea's spot since that location would offer some awesome views from that side of the park.

Ranger was refurbed last season from what I remember (it was totally stripped down) and all the Huss rides were up and running this season. The Ranger was a lot of fun.

Our UFO, Swing Around and Giant Enterprise/ Sky Lab are rock solid and reliable rides up at Wonderland. They're never down and still popular. The rides are old sure but each park is able to service them and parts are probably available from a few vendor sources by now, maybe even in house. Not sure why they'd remove great rides.

As for Raging Seas, what do you think of the Screamscape rumour today that the old Kennywood Pittfall may replace it?

^^I'll just repost what I said a week ago: There is 102 feet of clearance between Skycoaster's center line of travel and the Giant Wheel. If Pitt Fall were placed directly the center of Raging Seas's current spot, the center of Pitt Fall would have to be about 20 feet northward of Raging Seas' center if the same amount of clearance is needed. There's enough room between Chicken Ranch Cafe and Raging Seas to allow that, as Pitt Fall's actual diameter (minus the queue line) is only 30 feet, so it can go right next to Chicken Ranch Cafe, the queue line could be simply directly in front of the ride instead of making a ring around it like it did at Kennywood and we would be all set. Note that Raging Seas has a total diameter of 60 feet, whilst without the queue, Pitt Fall has a diameter of only 30 feet.

^^I just took a screenshot of the park from Googgle Maps. The red lind would represent Sky Coaster riders. The Pit Fall would fit without having to worry about a crash.

But you aren't taking into account the fact that at that point, the skycoaster's vehicle is much higher than Raging Seas, whereas it would definitely not be higher than Pitt Fall, which is why I theorize that Pitt Fall would have to be moved to where I previously stated because of the remote possibility that the people in the skycoaster could sway to the right a fair amount after a really nasty and unlucky gust of wind. With Raging Seas being so low to the ground, clearance isn't an issue, but with something the height of Pitt Fall, this could be an issue as those people could collide with Pitt Fall's tower, or with even unluckier timing, collide with the vehicle as the ride is going up or down, injuring 7 or 8 people, which would also mean that the cable could get snagged up in the machinery of the car going up which would mean significant damage to both the car and the skycoaster.