TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

^As long as they find a way to get a crane and the track pieces inside, it's no different than any other construction job. The Orlando and Hollywood Mummy coasters are probably the biggest coasters built inside a building so far, and all they did was cut a hole in the side of the building that was later patched up.

Well Nightmare was a small sized coaster, Galaxy Theater was originally built as "Phantom Cave" when the coaster was in it. Nightmare's track layout was at least the same size and length as Motocoaster. So maybe they can move to Motocoaster in Galaxy Theater and dig out the old campground pool for the campers only!

I agree. An interactive dark ride makes better sense than an indoor coaster. With the place called "Galaxy Theater" they could make it a ride where you're shooting aliens.

Yeah, except that the theater isn't really galaxy themed. The exterior consists of brightly colored fake buildings and rock.

^This is the entrance to the theater. I think it would work for a dark ride, but it isn't really "Galaxy."

^ I don't know why when Six Flags sold Darien Lake and they chose the name "Galaxy Theater" when its entrance has a cave look and the building had the city background from when it had the Batman show in it with the bat signal blacked out (they should turned the Bat signal into a moon) and a mine house in front of it? It was nothing but cheap censorship by blacking out the Batman logo and the city below still looked like Gotham City, but the only thing from when the building had the Nightmare coaster was the cave entrance.689847704_GoldcaverocksinGalaxyTheatre.thumb.JPG.e2d194f96eb8ae79e0a24e166a7de3d7.JPG

And this is how it looked on the inside

It would be pretty easy to install a dark ride. The track pieces are small. If needed, a section of roof could be removed and a crane could lower it in. As for the marquee, either a new one is needed, or the old one needs to be fixed because the wind tore it off. I wonder what the queue looks like inside.

^If you were to look at the picture, it looked like the inside of a cave, last time I looked at the building the mural was coming off it and parts of it were already fading.

They could make it into 3D or 4D movie theater since the building for the past 12 years was used for shows. When Six Flags owned DL they had a Batman show, then in 2007 and 2008 they a Cirque Du Sole style show, in 2009 they had Survivor Live, for the past two season they had the Sea Lion Splash show in there, and they didn't bother having a show in Galaxy Theater this season. So maybe they have plans for a ride in 2013 to go in Galaxy Theater.

Edited by DarienLaker

^That and all the additional theming that would have to be put in as well as the electrical and computer systems. It would be more difficult than one would guess, so it would likely have to go through a similar method of construction like RotM and have a section of wall ripped open during construction and then have it patched back up afterwards, as well as exterior overhauling, seeing as whatever theme they come up with may be difficult to remain cohesive with the current facade. But if they went the route of dark ride, seeing as there's so much vertical space available, they could possibly put a multi story ride in there; something interesting to consider, regardless of whether or not HFE will do something like that.

^It's a good idea, but there are problems with that:

1: The Illusion Coaster is not for sale on Vekoma's website.

2: If the Illusion Coaster is a specific layout model, then there's no way it will fit in the Galaxy Theater, though a custom one would easily fit.

3: If they decided to go with Vekoma for a family coaster inside the theater, it would probably be better to go with a custom layout and themed roller skater as the track dimensions would be smaller so it would be a bit easier to fit in the theater.

And for my non-strictly-engineering opinion, (though it is probably on the minds of the management of the park and of HFE as well,) they recently got a good family ride (Motocoaster) new water rides (the water park expansion) and new kiddie rides (the new expansion this year.) DL hasn't gotten an adult flat since Top Spin in 2000 or 2001, whenever it came. We need something from the thrill department. People have noticed; it's one of the bigger reasons why the park's attendance dropped by half from 1999 to 2006. Pitt Fall would be a great addition that could be planned out and constructed pretty quickly to give the thrill seekers something new to look forward to in the near future as the rest of the park is cleaned up, and if/when HFE decides to stick with Darien Lake for the long run, that will give them time to plan out a nice big major coaster. We haven't gotten a marquee attraction since the freaking Y2K scare. It's time for another one.

What about an indoor,somewhat themed Wild Mouse? I would love to try a Gerstlauer Bobsled as they seem to do a lot more than your standard Mack or Maurer Sohne models. Compact and family friendly and would at least tie them over until the next big thing, which I have no idea what they could put in at Darien Lake. Despite the Boomerang (one of my favorites) and SLC I think the park has a pretty solid lineup for a park its size.

Come to think of it a themed Gerstlauer spinner would be a nice fit for the park as well. Tony Hawk/Pandemonium at SFStL was a very fun little coaster.

^ I'd like to see Darien Lake put a Vekoma family suspended coaster in Galaxy Theater. it could possibly fit in there and they could have it theme as a space adventure that ends in Alaska, Ala Disaster Transport. Either or a Gerstlauer spinning coaster with a similar layout to Tony Hawk's Big Spin/Pandemonium with a mine theme to it.

I dont think that a suspended family coaster would work. A wild mouse is a good idea, another idea would be to put a Vekoma Mad House in there. It could be called The Galaxy Theater Ghost, and have a plot of a ghost that makes things within the walls of the building move crazy.

Or they could just tear it out and permanently relocate Viper's exit through there like they do this time of year since they have the UFO/Sleigh Ride/Mind Eraser side of the park closed off and in the process of winterizing. The extra space left from the building could be home to a new flat or two.

Or they could just tear it out and permanently relocate Viper's exit through there like they do this time of year since they have the UFO/Sleigh Ride/Mind Eraser side of the park closed off and in the process of winterizing. The extra space left from the building could be home to a new flat or two.

Or they could put an outdoor coaster there!

I don't know if they are going to block that side off this year because of the new area