TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

As Six Flags would say, "Everybody make sure you get your last ride on the Raging Seas, because it will be taking its last excursion on Oct 5". Yup, you heard it, a ride op supposedly told a visitor that the ride would be removed at the end of the season for a new attraction. I could see them removing it. The tarp that used to go on the arms was not put on this year, and the paint is just chipping away. Anyone have any ideas of what could go there? I think that it could either be a new "family ride" that is really for kids, or the old Scrambler.

^ I've narrowed it down to five possible things to replace Raging Seas

1. Move Ranger to Raging Seas' spot and bring back Scrambler in where Ranger's old spot in Rowdy's Ridge

2. Bring back Scrambler in Raging Seas' spot

3. Buy a new Sea Storm ride to replace the old 1981 version

4. Put an "adult" drop tower in Raging Seas' spot

5. Put a Rocking Tug ride in Raging Seas' spot

Even though it hasn't look good in years, well ast least for as long as I started going to Darien Lake, I would hate to see Raging Seas go as it is such a rare ride and it's one of my all time favorite flats. It always seemed like a crowd pleaser when I was at the park.

Given the space Raging Seas sits on it would make sense to put the Scrambler back at that spot. I don't see them buying a new model to replace it.

^^Add in the possibility of Pitt Fall. http://triblive.com/x/dailynewsmckeesport/s_756913.html#axzz267wAYlv5 It says here that it isn't going to a park in the Palace Entertainment chain, but I very specifically remember seeing somewhere (can't find it; tried looking) that it was sold to a park in New York State, however it was quite quickly redacted. The only park that needs and can afford a drop tower of this size is Darien Lake.

And better yet, I did measurements on Google Earth. Raging Seas's land plot size without the queue is a 60 foot diameter ride. Pitt Fall with the queue has a diameter of 63 feet. So make a slightly smaller queue and reroute it a bit to utilize Raging Seas' current queue and you have a perfect fit. Obviously, without finding that article (which it was probably edited) I cannot give one hundred percent validity to this, but it has been firmly implanted in my memory.

Darien Lake 9/8/12

Weather: Heavy rain and thunderstroms in the morning, conditions improving throughout the day. However, I was actually supposed to be going to Hershey on this day, but their forecast was even more severe all day, so I decided to swap Saturdays at each park.

Attendance: Light (Parking lot started to get packed for a concert)

The Coasters:

After a couple rides on Mind Eraser combined with my experience with SLCs in the past, my opinion on this coaster has solidified. Of course, this ride is a headbanger. However, there are certain seats that minimize the pain. Near the back on the left side seat has the least amount of headbanging and shuffling. The layout, despite being a cookie-cutter, is good, and Darien Lake has a nice setting for their SLC. Once in row two, and once in the more comfortable row 10 (6/10).

Motocoaster is a unique family coaster with a launch good enough to satisfy the thrill seekers. As for the rest of the ride, nothing much to write home about. One ride (6/10).

Viper is looking sleek in its fresh, all black, and orignal color scheme. The ride itself was also very good for this kind of coaster. Transitions were tolerable, and my head didn't smack into the OTSRs ever. Stuff like only cutting the trees near the corscrews as little as possible make this fairly typical coaster memorable. Even better, this Arrow looper has a nice underground helix finale to cap it all off. Two rides (7/10)

Yes people, I love Boomerangs! Now they aren't in the catagory of elite coasters, but they are tons of fun. The initial release from the lift feels similar to a drop tower. However, the crazy moment is going through the vertical loop backwards. Somehow, every time I ride the loop in reverse, it really disorients me (in a good way). Two rides (7.5/10)

I'm priviledged to have Ride of Steel only 2 hours from home. On this visit, I have found my money seat: 1:2. This is the money seat because of, one, the ejector air on the bunny hops, and secondly, it never has a line due to the impractical setup of the station. I don't need to wait the excessive amount of time for that supposedly "perfect" view. Some may say this coaster is flawed because of the straight sections of track as well as the extreme size of the helices. However, I think the location of this ride makes it work. For instance, the straight section of track over a pond gives a great sensation of speed and perhaps flight. Also, the first drop into a banked turn over the pond is very underrated. Excellent ride all three times (10/10).

Predator, hands down, was an amazing surprise. I took the risk, and sat 6:2 for my first ride. I do not know if it was due to the recent rain, installation of the former Voyage trains, or better track maintenance, but this woodie was running excellently. Airtime was a plenty, and of the "ejector" type especially in 1:1. The trim on the first drop was OFF all three rides. In terms of comfort, it wasn't perfect, but it was by no means painful. Only the section going up the hill after the descending turn had a moderate jolt. No Predator hate to be found here! Took four incredible rides (9/10).

Park Impression:

Darien Lake as a park experience is not as bad as some like to say. I really enjoyed msyelf. The park is well kept, and offers a variety of attractions for the whole family. Their work on Rowdy's Ridge was excellent. However, their ride operators were not the best in terms of professionalism. Examples included a lot of flirting and chatting with the guests when they could have been a little more aware of what their ride was doing. On three coasters, I saw the operator on controls having conversation with guests while operating at the same time. Despite the ride operators, the rest of the park staff was very friendly. I appreciated how the woman selling tickets was kind to inform me on the weather policy before making a purchase (Even though I was well aware of how parks operate in bad weather). She even was kind enough to give me a ten dollar discount because she felt bad that I didn't have any promotional discount coupon/ticket on this less than perfect day (I didn't even ask!).

^^Add in the possibility of Pitt Fall. http://triblive.com/x/dailynewsmckeesport/s_756913.html#axzz267wAYlv5 It says here that it isn't going to a park in the Palace Entertainment chain, but I very specifically remember seeing somewhere (can't find it; tried looking) that it was sold to a park in New York State, however it was quite quickly redacted. The only park that needs and can afford a drop tower of this size is Darien Lake.

And better yet, I did measurements on Google Earth. Raging Seas's land plot size without the queue is a 60 foot diameter ride. Pitt Fall with the queue has a diameter of 63 feet. So make a slightly smaller queue and reroute it a bit to utilize Raging Seas' current queue and you have a perfect fit. Obviously, without finding that article (which it was probably edited) I cannot give one hundred percent validity to this, but it has been firmly implanted in my memory.

Could Darien Lake be getting Kennywood's Pit Fall ride to replace Raging Seas in 2013?

Very possibly, at least in my opinion and based upon my inferences. DL really does need a good size drop tower as a modernized adult flat ride, and although they are tall, they shouldn't take too long to construct seeing as they are just a single tower.

^^^^There is 102 feet of clearance between Skycoaster's center line of travel and the Giant Wheel. If Pitt Fall were placed directly the center of Raging Seas's current spot, the center of Pitt Fall would have to be about 20 feet northward of Raging Seas' center if the same amount of clearance is needed. There's enough room between Chicken Ranch Cafe and Raging Seas to allow that, as Pitt Fall's actual diameter is only 30 feet, so it can go right next to Chicken Ranch Cafe, the queue line could be simply directly in front of the ride instead of making a ring around it like it did at Kennywood and we would be all set.

^ I would say Silver Bullet can be thrown in there. So four. But yeah, I would appreciate a drop tower.

Here's my list of what think what category that Darien Lake's flats go in (kiddie rides excluded!)

Family

Giant wheel

Grand Carousel

Tin Lizzys

Bear Valley Bumper Buggys

Moose on the Loose

Heave Ho

Hornet's Nest

Haymker

Family-Thrill

Thunder Rapids

Shipwreck Falls

Silver Bullet

Raging Seas (soon to be setting sail from DL)

Lasso

Sleigh Ride

Corn Popper

Grizzly Run

Pirate Ship

Thrill

UFO

Ranger

Twister

Darien Lake suffers from a lack of thrill flat rides, they should replace Raging Seas with either Kennywood's Pitt Fall or a Technical Park Loop Fighter ride