TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Thank you so much for commenting on it, and I do have a question for the guy who wrote the last comment, I know you posted in December about Rowdy's Ridge possibly coming to Darien in 2012, but do you know more about these possibly confirmed rumors?

Thank you so much for commenting on it, and I do have a question for the guy who wrote the last comment, I know you posted in December about Rowdy's Ridge possibly coming to Darien in 2012, but do you know more about these possibly confirmed rumors?

Well we hope to get an "official" announcement from Darien Lake about Rowdy's Ridge and possibly some other stuff for the upcoming 2012 season within next few days or so.

Hoot N Holler

A miniature roller coaster with twists, turns and gentle drops. This coaster travels at a low speed along an oval track.

Looks like they are re-theming "Brain Teaser" and the miniature bumper cars as well. Interesting.

Hoot N Holler

A miniature roller coaster with twists, turns and gentle drops. This coaster travels at a low speed along an oval track.

Looks like they are re-theming "Brain Teaser" and the miniature bumper cars as well. Interesting.

And the kiddie bumper cars new name is "Raccoon Rally"

http://thedailynewsonline.com/news/article_3be13ca6-7944-11e1-a28a-001a4bcf887a.html

Darien Lake Theme Park is investing more than $5 million in the park this season, including the creation of a new themed area for children.

The park revealed its plans Wednesday in a series of posts on its Facebook page and website.

Three new rides will go in the children’s area to be called Rowdy’s Ridge. The area will be near Grizzly Run and Ranger near a location formerly known as the “Tiny Trio” area, the park said in a Facebook post.

The rides, according to park descriptions, include:

• Rowdy’s Heave Ho!, an attraction that allows guests to self propel to the top only to let go an plunge back to base camp.
  • Moose on the Loose, a track ride that takes riders through the middle of a bear camp on the back of a moose.
  • Hornet’s Nest, a spinning ride.

The park is renaming Adventure Isle as Beaver Brothers Bay to highlight the park’s new “party animals.” A Beaver Mania show will be featured in the area, replacing the Thomas the Tank Engine Show that was introduced last season but will not return.

The park plans nearly a dozen live shows, including seven new ones, in 2012. The shows, which include three juggling acts, a canine thrill show, a comedy stunt show, hypnotist and an illusionist, will run in multi-week shifts throughout the summer. Some show schedules have overlapping dates.

The former Galaxy Theater, which for the past two seasons has been home to the Sea Lion Splash show, will not be used in 2012, the park said.

Park officials had teased three new family rides in renewal letters sent in December to season park holders and Facebook postings. At the time, park officials indicated the rides were in response to guests desire to have more attractions for families.

The park also said in December it would add 15 new Brown Bear Cabins to its campground for the 2012 season, bringing to 57 the total number of the rustic-looking cabins in the park. Each cabin includes a fireplace, loft, bedroom, fully-equipped kitchen, eating area, wireless Internet and a flat-screen television.

In 2011, Darien Lake added new live shows and upgraded amenities. The last major addition to the park came in 2010 with the opening of an expanded waterpark, renamed Splashtown. The 5-acre attraction cost $7 million and was the park's biggest single addition in a decade.

Edited by jedimaster1227

Well that stinks that they're just going to leave Galaxy Theater SBNO this year!

I wonder if Darien Lake has future plans for it?

If they did for 2013 in the former Galaxy Theater here what I think should go in it

. An upcharge laser tag arena

. A dark family ride (not a coaster)

. Another full service restaurant

. An upcharge dance club for all ages

. Another indoor coaster

. An ice skating show

. A storage unit with no access for the GP

. A haunted house for "Fright" Fest

Edited by DarienLaker

Folks on Facebook are mentioning that the Scrambler is gone. Any truth to that?

The park said that Scrambler is in storage and they got rid of it and sent BMX Motocross to Elitch Gardens to make way for the new kiddie rides, But Grizzly Run is still there as well the last operating Huss Ranger ride in North America!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Darien Lake June 20th (Wednesday) Review

Since I only live about two hours away, my friend and I took the first of many Darien Lake trips this summer! I will split the review into sections to make finding certain things easier. I didn't get any pictures because I left my phone in the car

Crowds

The crowds were pretty light today. The water rides were more busy as it was 90+ degrees out! There were a few buses that brought many kids. These kids were very annoying! They had shirts saying "Class of 2016" so you know what I'm talking about. When standing in line for a water ride, there was a girl on the stairs above us spitting down trying to get it on us... Also, by 4:30, everything was a walk-on.

Operations

When we first got to the park around 11:45, they were having a power outage and only about two or three rides were up. It wasn't long before everything was back up and we were queuing for the Viper. They had two trains running and were getting them through by the time the next train hit the brakes. Superman operations were somewhat slow and only had one train running. There was only one attendant up at the soak city complex of four slides! Mister Twister was not running even though the water was

Lifeguards

Had to mention that the Lifeguards were doing an awesome job! I am a Lifeguard myself so I naturally look and see how well they are doing their job They were even doing some training throughout the day. I know they would definitely be ready for any accident.

Overall, the park looked great! It was clean and the staff was attentive. The only thing I thought bad was, it seemed like a lot of rides weren't in operation or were on and off during the day. I believe four or five were out of service including Cuda Falls which would have taken a load off the other water rides that were packed. Oh BTW, while in line for one of the slides, I saw the yellow pieces of roller coaster track still across the street where they have been laying for years...

If you wanted to know anything, just ask. I probably forgot something

• 1 month later...
I am going later in the season but I am wondering if predator is rideable this year and which seats are the least painful.

Unfortunately when I rode it earlier in the season it was terrible! I don't know if they've done any work on it since but wow it got bad. However that was in the 3rd last row I can imagine anything in front of the 4th row will be much more rideable.

We might be better off if they tore down predator and put up the batman coaster that is sitting in storage. I have no idea if that is even feasable given the space and condition of the ride in storage though.

Imo for me and most adults in the wny area that I talk to unless their kids are begging to go DL its the park you go to every 10 years and hardly anything changes.

I do have to admit though that they have a great collection of old and unique flat rides. I am into this type of ride so it works for me even if the coasters suck. This visit will be comped for me so I will not be paying for anything thus I will have a different opinion of those who pay. Last time I checked admission to DL was 54.99 that is with a discount either 1-2 years ago so I am glad they reduced the admission quite a bit. Its probably worth it if you do the water park but I don't do water parks for variois reasons.

At the time when Six Flags was no longer running the park i had figured the whole park and rides would benefit maintenance wise, but in fact the opposite has happened. This year the place looks worse than ever, unkempt gardens, faded and peeling paint, just a whole disrepair state of some of the rides *cough* Raging Seas cough* Even though its their first year Im surprised that Herschend would allow the park to look like the way it does.

You know, this is why I changed my home park to Seabreeze, other than the fact that Seabreeze is a shorter drive from where I am. Darien Lake, quite frankly, has always been a sub-par park compared to all the others I've been to. If it manages to stay open within the next decade, I will be very surprised.

You know, this is why I changed my home park to Seabreeze, other than the fact that Seabreeze is a shorter drive from where I am. Darien Lake, quite frankly, has always been a sub-par park compared to all the others I've been to. If it manages to stay open within the next decade, I will be very surprised.

Ive thought about doing the same but Seabreeze is about a 1 1/2 hours away and Darien is about 40 min so thats the only thing bringing me back. However I could easily take the 2 hour trip to Canada's Wonderland, but who knows things at Darien could change for the better....i hope for my sake

I think it will stay open no matter what. Even though it is clearly sub par to other parks it gets a lot of business from the locals who don't know any better. They also have a large concert venue and campgrounds so there is reason to stay open other than just the park. Unless it really gets to a state of disrepair and they raise the prices and people stop coming it will stay open. Though the fact that they have changed owners so many times lately doesn't bode well.

I think I would rather be stuck with a visit to DL than fantasy island though. FI is a wonderful park but they don't have enough rides to keep me occupied for long. I would be done in 2 hours there. There are only 3-5 rides in the park I would actually ultilize, at least DL has more than that.

The premier ride experience for me in this area is the erie county fair. $20 for a wristband on a weekday and a selection of rides better than any local park can deliver and I am one happy person. They also sometimes have different rides from year to year and they have so many rides that sometimes I don't even get to them all. Good food too, need I mention charlaps ice cream.... Oh I can taste it now!