TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

• 3 weeks later...
Nice to see my home park is still hanging in there in spite of recent difficulties. Hopefully they can further and further distinguish themselves in a park-heavy region of the US, after so many years of stagnation under Six Flags.

Just last year Darien Lake gave their water park a makeover with new slides, a lazy river, a small wave pool for kids, and new colors for 'Cuda Falls.

163034170_CudaFallsoldcolors.thumb.jpg.0d7c6817d62f35de69f26cb091d6346f.jpg

'Cuda Falls in old colors

1930078903_CudaFallsnewcolors.thumb.jpg.ff8f965f18cb75ead527c21e840a8be1.jpg

'Cuda Falls in new colors

^That looks so much better with the new colors. The old colors in comparison just look so dull.

I couldn't agree more on that but, I think Darien Lake should fix up and reopen the lazy river slide that's next to 'Cuda Falls which is called Floodgate Falls.

^ Well, What they've done so far looks promising

They should also consider renaming and re-painting the former Superman. Just Ride of Steel is a rather lame handle for a coaster...particularly one that seems to be "Hauling A$$" now, as Robb put it in one TR.

Doug "How about 'The Susquehanna Serpent'?" Booth

They should also consider renaming and re-painting the former Superman. Just Ride of Steel is a rather lame handle for a coaster...particularly one that seems to be "Hauling A$$" now, as Robb put it in one TR.

Well if I were the owner of Darien Lake I would rename the Ride of Steel to "Screamin' Darien Deomon".

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah, the lazy river needs some work too. The last time I went there, I had trouble getting down some of the little hills in my tube. The water seemed a little shallow.

Well, here's an alternate suggestion for Darien lake about Floodgate Falls, get rid of it and replace it with a patio deck with more sun loungers and umbrellas in Barracuda Bay the area around 'Cuda Falls doesn't have any and removing Floodgate Falls would free up some space in that area.

• 2 months later...
I don't think we'll see floodgate falls ever reopen. I'm taking a trip tomorrow to the park with some friends. Anyone else going? I'll hopefully post a TP when I get back

Floodgate Falls is pretty much dead, it has been SNBOed since 2008 and the area around 'Cuda Falls has been kind of "ignored" by Darien Lake in the past decade, puting the newer water park attractions on the other side near Hook's Lagoon, and "downsizing" Barracuda Bay, removed some slides in the back in 1999 and replacing it with a Slingshot ride in 2002, and also removing the Cascade Canyon slides on the east side and replacing them with Shpiwreck Falls, but last year they've repainted the 'Cuda Falls slides and removed changing rooms in front of Floodgate Falls.

1898808668_BarracudaBayBingaerial.jpg.cfbe277a3aeaa0173266a056a17db02a.jpg

Here's an outdated Bing aerial of Barracuda Bay

I don't think we'll see floodgate falls ever reopen. I'm taking a trip tomorrow to the park with some friends. Anyone else going? I'll hopefully post a TP when I get back

Excited for the TR. I am going there in July probably. I love what the new management is doing to it, and I hope they announce a new ride for 2012. It would be amazing if they announced a new major coaster but I'd be okay with a new flat ride. I think they're due for a new ride.

I love what the new management is doing to it, and I hope they announce a new ride for 2012. It would be amazing if they announced a new major coaster but I'd be okay with a new flat ride. I think they're due for a new ride.

If Darien Lake were announce a new major ride for 2012. Here are my guesses, a custom layout Gerstlauer spinning coaster, a Wnidseeker, a Loop Fighter, or a drop tower.

Floodgate Falls is pretty much dead, it has been SNBOed since 2008 and the area around 'Cuda Falls has been kind of "ignored" by Darien Lake in the past decade

This is true, but it's probably for the better. They have huge amounts of space on the other side, while 'Cuda Falls is pretty tight as it is. And I know you pointed this out, but the repainting actually was a nice move by the park.

Saturday April 18th was my first trip to the park since 2009. I only live an hour away but I just hadn't got a chance to go till now. I got to the park just before opening and was able to take part in the mad dash to RoS. It wasn't open till like 10 minutes after the park was open. I made it on the first train and it ran okay. Wasn't my best ride ever on it. I was with some friends who don't like roller coasters as much so I only got on every coaster once and Ros 3 times. I rode couple of flats, all were running decent. This was also my first trip riding Predator with the voyage trains. They were an improvement and I got little bit of airtime in the back, but still a ride that could be replaced. Viper was painted all black so that was new for me. It rode alright. Continuing with new paint job Boomerang had one and it rode decent today. Not too much head banging. The Motocoaster was closed half the day but it opened in the afternoon and it seemed little faster today. Ran pretty good. The last coaster, minderaser... I forgot how it was, my mind went blank after the ride... just kidding It actuality wasn't one of my better rides on it. not too rough. I also checked out Sea Lion Splash. No sea world show for sure but for a small park it was really good. They even had a photo opportunity at the end of the show that was reasonably priced (most expensive package $25) IT was hot so we went to the waterpark. It was my first time since the addition and the slide with the mini tornados in it was actually pretty good. The bad part was the system for tube was confusing. there are 4 slides in the complex and you have to have a certain color for each. waiting to get the tubes required you to wait in one of two lines where you got a random tube color. It made little sense but we eventually figured it out sorta. We finished off the day with 2 rides on Ros. The quality was night and day from morning to the afternoon. The ride was so much faster and the airtime was better. Quick tip, this is one of those rides where the second row usually has the shortest wait. Go right to it and it usually is a walk-on. We left at 9 and overall a great day at the park. Oh and btw, the old batman track is still there for anyone wondering.

333353318_darienlake068.thumb.jpg.339d6c8bc68ddeb7d5f323abeaea216c.jpg

The running of the bulls to Ride of Steel

121437864_darienlake071.thumb.jpg.1511c97149ff04bc17b61937d20f20a9.jpg

The line before RoS opened

1782742165_darienlake072.thumb.jpg.1ef9cdec38d2b36494f342f4c9ce50d0.jpg

This is where the magic happens...

1932111207_darienlake075.thumb.jpg.055a066c48197090459c780812d19fc2.jpg

Artsy shot attempt of Predator's exit

2092849921_darienlake070.thumb.jpg.d6245b2f10a641281550dc14ff228b53.jpg

I noticed a new rapid ride system has been put in. $15 for 5 front of the line passes to any ride. Seems very reasonable to me.

260129557_darienlake076.thumb.jpg.9af88e1422a5f83833474785233669aa.jpg

The "newish" trains in the brakerun

297279440_darienlake077.thumb.jpg.c896bb2d68e420b1ea5ea6a968140a58.jpg

It is a very good looking ride, too bad it doesn't ride like that...

726523457_darienlake078.thumb.jpg.0cb9dfbf57dd68ec51139269aca56b05.jpg

more sexy shots

429412514_darienlake085.thumb.jpg.b58dcc226b497785912d82298831300c.jpg

RoS broke down mid-day and had an empty train stuck on the lift.

2030241180_darienlake086.thumb.jpg.390b1eb0e40356848e990f72a14d7fe1.jpg

The Biggest Ferris Wheel... When it opened

535176086_darienlake087.thumb.jpg.b073095c38d8b5fddc5e7dfdb25a46d4.jpg

Que back in Black here

1395908492_darienlake001.thumb.jpg.2e5b67e369347ad8496c43e8b1758c0b.jpg

not a very good shot but the new RoS shirts look liked they had pictures of No limits coasters on it

1591559147_darienlake002.thumb.jpg.ecf634033d4415b5641a3c904ae70cb3.jpg

The new viper shirt was awesome.

Thats it of my pictures, didn't take too many. Thanks for reading.

Very reasonable price for those front of the line passes. I`ll have to take advantage of that next time I`m there. Glad to here Predator is at least somewhat improved. Topper track please!

Darien Lake really needs some improvements like, getting rid of the Batman tracks (there's no point of setting up the coaster, it's just scrap metal!), putting lights on the Giant Wheel, and also removing the rusty pole in Fun Lake.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some new ride/attraction ideas for Darien Lake in 2012

. a custom layout Gerstlauer spinning coaster (not a clone like (Tony Hawk's) Big Spin/Pandemonium at Six Flags parks)

. an Intiman drop tower (maybe Kennywood would sell Pit Fall to Darien Lake)

. a Zamperla Rockin' Tug ride (ideal for Adventure Isle)

. a 3D cinema like the one they had (see photo below)

420608568_Cinema20001982(restored).jpg.110ebe0259248e18a8f8b1fe33492128.jpg

As a bonus i've included a picture of the old 3D cinema that was located where Scrambler is now

I'm visiting DL in about two weeks, and I haven't visited since 2009. I've heard about the Predator being improved, I know it got the Voyage trains, but was it re-tracked at all? I thought I heard that too. And also, is it still maintaining it's improvement into this season? It's a coaster with the potential to be fun, but it was hard seeing as the trains felt like they were on an overloaded washing machine last time I rode it.

^There has indeed been some various retracking. There's also continuously been lumber within the ride, I think it's a slow steady work in progress. The last I rode it was a couple weeks ago, and I still find it fun (and better than it used to be). Although, I haven't ridden anywhere except the front in a while. But, in the front, it's got some bumbly pops of air and plenty of bumps and shuffling, but nothing violent or painful.

So I'm going to Darien Lake for the first time tomorrow I think. What kind of crowds should I expect? I'm only planning on spending 5ish hours there. Also, our group has an odd number and doesn't really want to use the single-rider line. Do any of the rides force you to use a single rider line?

I tend to only go on weekdays, so it may be a bit busy but 5 hours is probably still plenty. Also, there aren't any single rider lines that I know of there. So no, you can just wait in lines together and decide which rows you want to split into in the stations.