TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 466: Christmas Town starts on November 11th

On 11/13/2021 at 9:24 PM, racingmoose said:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions on the Platinum Pass.

I just got an email offering the Platinum Pass from BGW for 30% off as a Black Friday presale..  The price ends up being $ 260.50 instead of the normal $ 372.00.    

Mind forwarding the link in that e-mail to me in a PM? :D

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps a crazy move but I'm using Good Friday as a long weekend to drive to VA and visit BGW. Holiday I know but is this one where people are more likely to go to a park? Hope not an my heathen ass has a fairly quiet park lol 

Also how does the Platinum Pass work? Is it nationwide? Since I'm doing both BG's, both Sea World's, I figure this may be worth looking into? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looks brilliant. Lots of originality in the layout. It's funny how the only straight hill seems to be in the middle of the swing launch. Wave turns are all the rage right now. 

I want to see some footage of that track switch on the swing launch. It must have a way of moving into place in a hurry. Usually transfer tracks take their sweet time moving and aligning themselves. 

1 hour ago, Shavethewhales2 said:

Looks brilliant. Lots of originality in the layout. It's funny how the only straight hill seems to be in the middle of the swing launch. Wave turns are all the rage right now. 

I want to see some footage of that track switch on the swing launch. It must have a way of moving into place in a hurry. Usually transfer tracks take their sweet time moving and aligning themselves. 

Intamin are calling it a "high speed transfer track", Hagrid's has basically the same thing.

I love the look of the ride, I'm curious what they will eventually do with the landscaping, but it's Busch Gardens so even if it stays a field it still looks pretty nice (I wouldn't complain about some landscaping or scenery though).

I look forward to riding it

Almost 90 seconds of ride time, that's awesome. The first inversion is going to be so funky, the next twisted speed hills have way more speed than I thought they would have! 

Usually I'm not this geeky, but how about the sound of the backwards launch! vrrttttt new Intamin fart. The #1 element I overlooked on Velocicoaster wsa the normal top hat - that drop is incredible and I can't wait to try Pantheon's. The finale looks truly wild with those quick twists, like Storm Runner 2.0.

Can't wait for a return visit to BGW!

• Like 1

Looks phenomenal. Can't wait to ride. Most hyped ride of 2020 finally happening, better late than never!

And yes I love the layout, very interesting, and looks like it hauls over that acceleration hill :)

Also excited to go to BGW in general, last time I went was 20 years ago!

On 12/13/2021 at 5:42 PM, boldikus said:

Intamin are calling it a "high speed transfer track", Hagrid's has basically the same thing.

During the construction tour, they mentioned that the transfer track takes just a few seconds to get into position.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m not sure of the policies on this site, but another BGW well-informed site dropped a bomb about DarKastle’s replacement. Anyone heard/know more? From what they report, it’s going to be a very unique indoor Intamin family launched ride with an ending that…..”doesn’t end” (don’t want to give spoilers). If allowed, I’d be happy to link. Otherwise do some searching or check twitter. Sounds like a wonderful addition and a really great concept! If done right, could be a real winner and something some other parks would want to jump on. Cheers

28 minutes ago, jarmor said:

Darkoaster looks fun and a family/kid attraction is needed.  WIth the proposed layout, the seats should spin. . .

it looks exactly like the layout for WaveBreaker at SWSA.. which means it will be a fun little family coaster (with emphasis on family, not thrill).    Keeping indoors, mean the launched hill into the major turn won't be near as tall tho. . . which is fine as I think this coasters "trick" will greatly improve on what is really a "non-thrill" coaster at SWSA.    Tho again, note, it's fun, and the design over the water is great.

so if they keep this dimly lit, and populate with some "glow" elements (think Rock N Roller Coaster type setpieces?). . . could be really fun.

tho I'm still glad I got to ride DarkKastle back when it was operating in 2016.

1 hour ago, bert425 said:

it looks exactly like the layout for WaveBreaker at SWSA..

Uhhh. . .  not sure what you are looking at but what I saw was confined inside the walls of darkastle.  A totally custom layout with 2 launches and a trick or two.

1 hour ago, jarmor said:

Uhhh. . .  not sure what you are looking at but what I saw was confined inside the walls of darkastle.  A totally custom layout with 2 launches and a trick or two.

look again. . that's the WaveBreaker layout. . the only difference is inside vs outside, and that the 2nd launch hill won't be as tall (because it's inside).

otherwise, it's a very similar (if not *exactly* the same) layout.

I am so SOO excited for this! Easily my number one most anticipated coaster project!

This is exactly what I think BGW needs and what I thought they should do. I'm really happy that the park seems to have pushed pause on that "Drachen Spire" idea, and went with something like this. An indoor Intamin multi-launch coaster sounds amazing (like next generation of Escape from Gringotts amazing, and I haven't even ridden that ride), and even if they half a** it on the theming I still think it will be cool. I also hope they take the opportunity to revamp that whole area around Darkastle, as I thought it looked a little rough this last summer.

My only real concern is that if they go with a Verbolten-esque black lights and projections approach to on ride theming, that it might over time suffer the same maintenance fate. When I rode Verbolten this last summer it was noticeable and disappointing that so many of the black lights had fallen down, or were mis-aligned. I hope the park learned from Verbolten and they either a) keep the maintenance up on Darkoaster or b) design and build it in such a way so as to avoid the theming maintenance issues that Verbolten has.

Speaking of Verbolten...since this is an indoor family coaster, is there any evidence that this might be a Verbolten replacement? I have no evidence of this, nor would I even dare call it a rumor, but does it strike anyone else as odd that BGW would build an indoor family coaster in the same area a very similar ride? I hope this isn't the case (I though Verbolten was a fun unique ride, albeit in need of a small refurb), but it would open up more space next to the ol' Drachen Fyre spot...

Verbolten isn't even 10 years old yet, and despite any sort of "failure" of theming elements, seems to be a pretty reliable ride for them.  I don't see it going anywhere.

• Like 1