TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 455: Opening night of Howl-o-Scream!

I asked before, but I don't think anyone got around to answering my questions. Plenty of other topics to get side tracked on, so I understand.

I guess I'm chopped liver then... lol. I didn't get into any specifics regarding opening weekend though.

Capsfan, I guess it boils down to priorities. I go to the parks for the rides, and smaller lines always makes it for me. But I guess, if you really have to have all the dippy dot stands open..... I can get dippy dots at my local mall, I can't get good rides at the mall. Sorry to be so snarky, but c'mon now.

I hate to be that guy, but like... when is that swing opening? Hopefully by mid-April?

The park said May during the construction tour earlier this month.

Capsfan, all the major restaurants (such as the Festhaus and Smokehouse) should be open, although O'Tators's (baked-potato joint) in Ireland might not.

Edited by cfc

I hate to be that guy, but like... when is that swing opening? Hopefully by mid-April?

DONTLIKE.gif.0dcc25b818f4f5dae355a78957ab5cf5.gif

[attachment=0]DONTLIKE.gif[/attachment]

quote-whether-you-like-it-or-not-learn-to-love-it-because-its-the-best-thing-going-wooooo-ric-flair-59-16-81.jpg

I asked before, but I don't think anyone got around to answering my questions. Plenty of other topics to get side tracked on, so I understand.

I guess I'm chopped liver then... lol. I didn't get into any specifics regarding opening weekend though.

No! Not at all! I appreciate it, I was just looking to see if anyone else had any additional input.

I think we're going to play it safe and get QQ. Le Scoot likely being open definitely makes the trip worth it, too.

Thanks for posting the summer show lineup, Chuck. That's quite a collection of performers and as an AGT fan I want to attend all of them! Distance and work prohibit that but I might be able to manage one show. It's like BGW snagged some of Dollywood's performers - DW's summer lineup lacks anything big or interesting so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey you guys I went to the park last weekend and i noticed a couple of changes in park operations on rides that I guess was made in the offseason and I i wonder If anybody else noticed these.

1. Loch ness monsters lift speed is incredibly faster than before on the first lift. And reaches the top much faster than it use to. And the effects that were working in the tunnel last year have been disabled

2. The more dramatic change was to alpengeist. Not only did they increase the chain speed on the lift but the trim at the top no longer engages to slow the train down. HOWEVER it is made up at the MCBR as it now brutally slows the train and kills the pacing of the rest of the last two inversions. It's almost slows down to the point where you think it's an e-stop.

There was another interesting little change on Tempesto. The "comfort collars" previously used car-seat-belt buckles; now they use carbiner-like clips. I have no idea why this was done.

41vUH0ggS%2BL.jpg

I was wondering if they did the same thing to other versions of this ride.

Either way, the comfort collars are useless.

Edited by cfc

Agreed that they are useless, but do they now at least not hurt? I wasn't planning on even riding Tigris based on my Tempesto ride last summer with those stupid, painful collars, but if there's been a change I'll at least give it a courtesy ride.

Agreed that they are useless, but do they now at least not hurt? I wasn't planning on even riding Tigris based on my Tempesto ride last summer with those stupid, painful collars, but if there's been a change I'll at least give it a courtesy ride.

Didn't hurt me at all last week.

Hearing everyone complain makes me thankful that I didn't even know vest restraint pain existed. Emily and I have never experienced discomfort from any vest restraint.

Who needs a drone? Just put a guy up in the Sky Ride with a camera and let him brave the high winds.

You'd love to be that guy, wouldn't you?

I love people who defend the useless, cosmetic-only restraints by saying "well they've never HURT me!" Ok great, high bar there! My friend thought they loosened a tooth after the Tempesto buckle smacked them in the face during the first week of operation there.

"They don't hurt" isn't the point and it's a disingenuous point to try to make anyways. We know these rides operate safely without the straps (that for some reason now feature carabiners hanging in your face) so I don't get why people really feel a need to defend them, especially with the low bar of "if they don't injure me they must be fine."

At least we are starting to see a trend away from over the shoulder and collar type restraints. A few years ago I could have never imagined an RMC style ride with the lap bar restraints they have, so at least we can look forward to the future where the industry seems to be pushing for more comfortable, less restrictive restraints. Along with that the idea that lap bars are "less safe" or whatever issue parks have with them will be a thing of the past.