TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 443 - A Night at Busch Gardens' Christmas Celebration

This is a developing situation with a bunch of conflicting reports coming in but it appears that there's a fire involving the park's train ride in New France.

shT9kbA.jpg

Source: Reddit

Dkv0WIMXoAAgfMZ.jpg:large

Source: In the Loop

WAVY TV in Hampton Roads is claiming that the fire department has confirmed that there was at least one injury. Again though, this seems like one of those all-too-familiar stories where lots of conflicting information pours in at once and it takes awhile to sift through everything.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Halloween Harvest, or “Howl-o-Scream Lite.” Busch Gardens is sticking with its “reservations only/limited attendance” events with Halloween Harvest during October. This is sort of “Howl-o-Scream

Before this thread derails off course into a COVID discussion, I’ll just keep it simple:  everyone should follow their state and local guidelines.  This isn’t something up for debate on TPR. Now

A Night at Busch Gardens' Christmas Celebration Busch Gardens Williamsburg is pushing on with its limited attendance/reservations-only events schedule with an abridged version of their extremely

Posted Images

Howdy folks

We plan on visiting Water Country USA for the first time this Saturday. We'll definitely arrive promptly before park opening. That being said, is it the best strategy to start with the slides at the front first (Colossal Curl, Wild Thang, Rampage, Malibu Pipeline, and Jet Scream), then work our way towards the back (Big Daddy Falls, Aquazoid, Nitro Racer, Vanish Point, and Meltdown)? Or should we approach the park a different way? We'll only be spending the first half of the day there, then checking out Colonial Williamsburg afterwards. BGW will be done on Sunday (we're already familiar with it). Also, are there any good places for lunch at the water park?

Thanks in advance

I can't think of any particularly great food at Water Country--just the usual burgers, chicken tenders, pizza, and fries.

I'd hit Colossal Curl first, then head for Malibu Pipeline, Big Daddy Falls, and Aquazoid. Be sure to hang out in the Hubba Hubba Highway, too. This is Meltdown's last season, so it might be a bit busy.

Edited by cfc
This is a developing situation with a bunch of conflicting reports coming in but it appears that there's a fire involving the park's train ride in New France.

shT9kbA_1.jpg.a0ce59c3ad3a5196986bb8a317ce24ec.jpg

So for those keeping score that's TWO attractions that have suffered a fire this summer without even being in use...

Spontaneous ride combustion?

I can't think of any particularly great food at Water Country--just the usual burgers, chicken tenders, pizza, and fries.

I'd hit Colossal Curl first, then head for Malibu Pipeline, Big Daddy Falls, and Aquazoid. Be sure to hang out in the Hubba Hubba Highway, too. This is Meltdown's last season, so it might be a bit busy.

Thank you for the advice - we had a wonderful time! Such a great water park!

After my trip to Cedar Point this past week, although I enjoyed it, I came away appreciating Busch Gardens more then I previously did. That may be a really unpopular opinion, but oh well.

Need some input, is BGW’s Christmas Town event worth a ~3 hour drive to get there? My family is moving to the Raleigh-Durham area fairly soon, and while I’m visiting them over Christmas I’m considering swinging by the park if there’s enough rides open and enough fun things to do.

After my trip to Cedar Point this past week, although I enjoyed it, I came away appreciating Busch Gardens more then I previously did. That may be a really unpopular opinion, but oh well.

I don't think these feelings have to be mutually exclusive. I love CP, have grown up with it as a regular, and important part of my life, and consider it my favorite Amusement Park. Just for pure thrills, I don't think it can be matched, and even if I ever make it overseas, I doubt that'll change. However, I also LOVE BGW, and what it brings to the table is entirely different in its package form than CP! I haven't even been to BGW since before Griffen and Verbolten, and it's one of my top parks in the country, that's how great it is in all of the little things! Plus, it has a great collection of rides and coasters! So yeah, I think it's a treasure, and deserves to be appreciated! I sure hope to finally get back next year to appreciate it some more myself!

Need some input, is BGW’s Christmas Town event worth a ~3 hour drive to get there? My family is moving to the Raleigh-Durham area fairly soon, and while I’m visiting them over Christmas I’m considering swinging by the park if there’s enough rides open and enough fun things to do.

The event is mostly about the decorations, shows, and food. The park looks great, and there are lights everywhere. The only coaster they've run the last few years is Verbolten, but I think all the flats have been operating.

I don't think these feelings have to be mutually exclusive. I love CP, have grown up with it as a regular, and important part of my life, and consider it my favorite Amusement Park. Just for pure thrills, I don't think it can be matched, and even if I ever make it overseas, I doubt that'll change. However, I also LOVE BGW, and what it brings to the table is entirely different in its package form than CP! I haven't even been to BGW since before Griffen and Verbolten, and it's one of my top parks in the country, that's how great it is in all of the little things! Plus, it has a great collection of rides and coasters! So yeah, I think it's a treasure, and deserves to be appreciated! I sure hope to finally get back next year to appreciate it some more myself!

I agree with you in regard to that, but it's just I found myself missing the theming and greenery.

Both are great, but they are different. I just didn't realize how much I enjoyed certain elements of BGW.

I'm going to be visiting BGW this weekend on the 8th and 9th. Unfortunately it looks like there's going to be thunderstorms and high humidity and temperatures Any idea if most rides will be open? Any tips for still having a good time?

They will suspend "normal operations" if thunderstorms are within ten miles or so of the park. But t-storms are tricky, and may not materialize, so I'd take the long-term forecast with a grain of salt.

Edited by cfc

it's hard to NOT have a good time at BGW. . . but if you get a lot of rain during your day, there's always the following indoor shows as options:

-- the British "hits" one in the front section (tho honestly, I didn't think it was great, and didn't bother with it this past visit)

-- Celtic Fyre in Ireland, which is very good (especially if you enjoy Irish Step Dancing). and it's right across the walkway from the Irish Pub, with a great selection of on tap options, including a fantastic Blackberry Cider, and frozen Blue Hawaiians.

-- the Brewhaus in Germany.. which besides food (and beer) options, has a HUGE seating capacity, and a stage in the middle for "theater in the round".. you can wait out rain there and enjoy the food, drink, and pay attention (or not) to the show... we couldn't figure out the plot, but it was something to look at. . LOL

-- Celtic Fyre in Ireland, which is very good (especially if you enjoy Irish Step Dancing). and it's right across the walkway from the Irish Pub, with a great selection of on tap options, including a fantastic Blackberry Cider, and frozen Blue Hawaiians.

I think Celtic Fyre has ended for the season (the theatre was closed last weekend). They use that space for Fiends during Howl-o-Scream, so they're probably setting up for that show.

Edited by cfc

I think Celtic Fyre has ended for the season (the theatre was closed last weekend). They use that space for Fiends during Howl-o-Scream, so they're probably setting up for that show.

ah, makes sense. It's my favorite show there, tho. . unless you count visiting the Clydesdales.

Bruhaus to wait out any rain is my best suggestion then

(Apologies to the mods if I jumped the gun on posting this w/o a full proper press release deal - its all they put up that I could find. Nothing on the website, youtube etc. And they posted this around 7, sooooo I wanted to talk about how stoked I am for the Screamin Swing. On a cliff. )

I'm not a waterpark guy, but the water coaster looks pretty badass too.