TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 452 - Busch Gardens Summer Nights

While I have plenty of experience at this park, I've never been to Bier Fest. I was contemplating going on Sept 3. It's the Sunday of Labor Day weekend. Has anyone been on Labor Day weekend that can speak to the crowds?

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Halloween Harvest, or “Howl-o-Scream Lite.” Busch Gardens is sticking with its “reservations only/limited attendance” events with Halloween Harvest during October. This is sort of “Howl-o-Scream

^^Hmm--I think your assumption is correct.  @Mike240SX I'm certainly not expecting "full operations" before Memorial Day Weekend, which isn't unusual (for example, they usually don' t start operating

Before this thread derails off course into a COVID discussion, I’ll just keep it simple:  everyone should follow their state and local guidelines.  This isn’t something up for debate on TPR. Now

Posted Images

Coaster didn't blow me away, but it was still fun.

I'd agree with that. It's almost a break from your typical force focused coasters. I like it a lot, but I would probably ride it less than what we normaly do during our visits if it wasn't Emily's favorite coaster in the park. I can definitely say that I'm not a fan of how packed the station gets. It seems like it takes quite a while to board a train.

I actually think my favorite ride overall is Le Scoot. We rode it four times without getting off near the end of the day during our last visit, in July.

While I have plenty of experience at this park, I've never been to Bier Fest. I was contemplating going on Sept 3. It's the Sunday of Labor Day weekend. Has anyone been on Labor Day weekend that can speak to the crowds?

It'll be busier than a "normal" Sunday, but still manageable.

Coaster didn't blow me away, but it was still fun.

I'd agree with that. It's almost a break from your typical force focused coasters. I like it a lot, but I would probably ride it less than what we normaly do during our visits if it wasn't Emily's favorite coaster in the park. I can definitely say that I'm not a fan of how packed the station gets. It seems like it takes quite a while to board a train.

I actually think my favorite ride overall is Le Scoot. We rode it four times without getting off near the end of the day during our last visit, in July.

Eh, I wouldn't call Verbolten less forceful. The ending is pretty slamming.

I'm supposed to go to BGW tomorrow for a work function. We originally were going to KD but it turns out KD is closed?? so we moved things to BGW. I haven't been there in 4 years. Unfortunately, I may have to blow it off because last night my dog started having a hind leg issue and I'm not sure I want to leave him for the day in case something happens like he falls over and can't get up. He's a very active working dog so it's hard to keep him quiet. Yes I have a vet appt scheduled to get him checked out. Anyway, assuming he's feeling better I'll be going to the park tomorrow. Have any of you seen the evening show All For One? If so, is it any good? It appears Celtic Fyre isn't playing anymore which is a bummer. I always watch the animal shows. Are the effects on DarKastle working better these days?

^I thought it kind of odd that KD went to weekend operation before Labor Day. The area schools start back Sept. 5th.

It also appears that Celtic Fyre is only showing on weekends starting this week (of course next week they start weekend only ops anyway).

All for One is a really good show. However, I was really looking forward to this, seeing that it is their nighttime "spectacular." The stunts were very good, but the show was a little bit busy to watch, and sadly a little bit of a disappointment. Chalk it up to anticipointment for me, but I would have rather been getting night rides on Griffon (which you are staring at the entire show.)

Should I be ok for Sep 10 Sunday? Holiday was week before so I guess it wont be crazy busy. They also open later that day at 12 noon. I'm not sure why. Isn't it usually 10 am?

Just came back from the park after checking out Bierfest, and it's pretty busy. This is also the last day to ride DarKastle before they set up the Frostbite Howl-o-Scream maze in the show building.

Just came back from the park after checking out Bierfest, and it's pretty busy. This is also the last day to ride DarKastle before they set up the Frostbite Howl-o-Scream maze in the show building.

What is the beer selection looking like this year?

It tends to change a bit each weekend. Beer from many Virginia breweries, such as O'Connor, Alewerks, and Center of the Universe, are there.

I was also there yesterday. There was a really good crowd and Bier Fest seems to be a hit. Didn't realize that Darkastle was finishing up now. Really glad we got a ride in on it. Some of the coasters were showing lines approaching or exceeding an hour. One complaint that I do have though is that InvadR was only running one train. I have no idea how long that wait would've been but way in excess of an hour, for sure. Not sure why they were only running one, but it had to have been due to maintenance I would assume.

^BGW running only one train on any coaster (with the exception of Tempesto, of course) is unusual--the other train probably needed some work.

^BGW running only one train on any coaster (with the exception of Tempesto, of course) is unusual--the other train probably needed some work.

By the way, they were back to running two trains on InvadR today.

So, Bierfest? What's it all about, anyway? Well, besides beer? As the name says, there is beer, and lots of it. There's also some good food and German culture to go along with it.

Here's a look at Bierfest, with a bit of Howl-o-Scream prep thrown in for good measure.

001.thumb.jpg.dc1cbb66d994c42ff47b96f3990822c3.jpg

Does this make you think of Howl-o-Scream or pumpkin ale? Both? More HOS prep later. For now, our focus is on . . .

002.thumb.jpg.a81f20b296c5bd37607b1192c41da9e9.jpg

. . . Bierfest central in, appropriately enough, Oktoberfest.

003.thumb.jpg.529e5dd7f8f35dc714f9f33cbab46e63.jpg

Here's one set of bars in the shadow of DarKastle.

004.thumb.jpg.4c4d544f8c075cee87f0e776e2dc376f.jpg

This will become the Open Casket bar during HOS.

004a.thumb.jpg.2cd2c6d3a117086a99cbdd67013503c8.jpg

Prefer cider to beer? BGW has you covered.

005.thumb.jpg.1c9f049ac2dde281f5ac55e0aad8d643.jpg

You can purchase a sampler plan here in the Oktoberfest games area. You can buy them at the bars, too.

006.thumb.jpg.0ebeda51cb542b5e9ffb4b8f082e6ac0.jpg

$22 gets you ten four-ounce samples. The plans can be used in the Brauhaus, pretzel bakery, and Grogan's Pub, too.

007.thumb.jpg.aaa34cd531b7083fee54b61303cd114c.jpg

This was the lineup today, but it changes a bit each weekend. If you're a pumpkin-ale fan, Alewerks makes a very good one.

007a.thumb.jpg.11af4be4c4daa28ae5e3d84f34fbe4ab.jpg

Not sure what sort of beer you might like? This sign could help.

008.thumb.jpg.e1f3824b802f31c525fa89462c848f97.jpg

And don't forget the festive food.

009.thumb.jpg.757b2b700efbd2e6c62c6336d586defe.jpg

Wasserhund Oktoberfest and Jaegerschnitzel, anyone?

010.thumb.jpg.bd47867501a5bf6ffbb1cb4c7da7f7ad.jpg

Barrels + sausages = theming.

011.thumb.jpg.9b155b56eed7e6fbadb2b2e3d81bddec.jpg

These guys put on a fun show in front of the Festhaus. I'm not sure it they'll be back each weekend or if they were just here for Labor Day. Oktoberzest was still running in the Festhaus, too.

012.thumb.jpg.921a007ef9e7a379c8269932da0168ab.jpg

"Pint glasses are for wimps!"

013.thumb.jpg.fac86ee3f816fd3534ae0dd71f4e01d4.jpg

Get your oompah on . . .

014.thumb.jpg.9163f3fc9dc377e35a717394bc34ee1e.jpg

. . . and polka with your bad self.

015.thumb.jpg.f58757acbd6e57026e6bf0332776bad8.jpg

Obligatory coaster shot. Let's have a look at HOS prep.

016.thumb.jpg.2e7796f50b37ed7357eb8ecb71971019.jpg

The "Evil Encore" is taking another encore.

017.thumb.jpg.94e75c3d0b2b7f4956f173addc3aaa51.jpg

DarKastle is going to be "Frostbite"--this year's new maze. I'm curious to see what they do. I imagine the ride's projector equipment will come into play.

018.thumb.jpg.ddeafa33d8a710b9da5b3bd56a3c47ad.jpg

I wonder if this will be Frostbite's Quick Queue entrance, too.

019.thumb.jpg.547e80672ff451d010756748a9e2f6d2.jpg

If you want soft-serve ice cream, you'll have to get it in Festa Italia or England. The shop in Germany is transitioning to an escape room.

020.thumb.jpg.abbc9ebd5111ffc04a600b288fac14ea.jpg

They're heeding the advice spoken in "Young Frankenstein" in the German village: "Ven monsters ist loose, . . .

021.thumb.jpg.5ffc4c7cd5c2cd9a06fedfab8fd35bf0.jpg

. . . boards must be tight!"

022.thumb.jpg.eec9b0767d3846b25452702ede333b6e.jpg

Festa Italia is getting ready for Circo Sinistro . . .

023.thumb.jpg.b4cb1607b248756497e0dee6ad7131d8.jpg

. . . and Ireland is prepping for Fiends.

024.thumb.jpg.1f212f4b1decde0af48988edec907324.jpg

This makes people think of lots of pumpkin ale.

025.thumb.jpg.eb9caca2d0b4c9d9043d6fcc656c6df9.jpg

Time to head home under the comforting presence of pure evil in Scotland.

026.thumb.jpg.883a84bf0c2831f8b9a7d5a3a613fbe6.jpg

But maybe one last stop on the way . . .

027.thumb.jpg.6fb4a4122ac3473482f05580a06328aa.jpg

. . . for a Scotch egg. This was one of my favorites at the Food and Wine Festival a few years ago, and it's back for Bierfest.

028.thumb.jpg.44a9b5c5414a2eb8ede870e3ef87d46e.jpg

Enjoy your beer now, because BGW is going to scare it out of you later. Thanks for reading.

I've never actually seen any kind of "beer chart" that I can remember. So seeing this one was awesome!

Thanks for posting the pic of it, Chuck. Now I can figure out what I really REALLY like.

And all that Bierfest.... definitely a good (looking) event put on by the park. Great TR, Chuck!

Anyone heard anything about Christmas town tickets for the park it seems very late for busch gardens not to offer a discount on tickets for this event for passholders last year end of july I snagged a good deal and even going to the site now nothing is showing yet

• 2 weeks later...

More info including the name unveiled for the vr ride.

https://seaworldparks.com/en/buschgardens-williamsburg/attractions/rides/battle-for-eire-virtual-reality

Battle-for-Eire-940x200.png.fdc6beca400263bd69e2432f244f79e2.png

Slip on your magic lenses, hop aboard a dragon and join the battle to save the Magic of Ireland. Experience 360 degrees of adventure on the new Battle For Eire ™ — Action VR Ride at Busch Gardens ® Williamsburg. The Otherworld needs a warrior. Team up with the last fairy guardian, Addie, and set out to rescue the sacred Heart of Eire. Hang on tight as you soar above the lush landscapes and mystifying powers of the Otherworld. Prepare to battle the dark forces. Will you be a hero? Take flight and fight the evil Dark Lord, Balor, to bring light to the darkness. Test your courage and send your spirit soaring on this one-of-a-kind, virtual reality thrill.

BATTLE FOR EIRE QUICK FACTS

• State-of-the art 360-degree virtual reality headsets combined with a motion-based theater simulator will create an innovative experience unlike any other in the attraction industry
  • Head mounts will be distributed to guests before each ride and will be sanitized after every use (similar to 4D glasses at attractions such as Curse of DarKastle)
  • Head mounts are adaptable to many sizes
  • VR headsets, which are tethered to the motion simulator seats, will connect to guests’ head mounts via magnetic closure
  • A standard version of the video will be available for those interested in a more traditional experience
  • Attraction video was created in 4K resolution

Battle-for-Eire-Addie-full-460x352.png.a8e07bf76b8bf29f8f69d5318e0dcb90.png

Edited by jedimaster1227