TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 455: Opening night of Howl-o-Scream!

After letting my imagination run with the thoughts of a 315' coaster a Star Flyer/Screamer makes the most sense.

Small footprint, easy to theme, 315' makes it barely taller than KD's but taller none the less, coincidentally the same height as KD's Eiffel Tower but a ride and nor an observation deck, and laughs at SFA's Wonder Woman by 70'. More over, it is basic ride that they don't have with no need to challenge 400' mark. The important part would be to keep the ride height at 48".

Where is everyone getting the 315 number from? Did I miss something?

The permits and the screamscape rumor.

But does the permit say 315 feet or is that just someones guess because of the balloon test?

Madrid is a misspelling of Mad Ride. It will be a Vekoma Mad House.

Even though you were kidding a Mad House would still be a great addition for BGW.

There aren't too many things that can be 315 feet tall that have not already been added to its competition in Doswell. A giga coaster would tick off the Kingsmill neighbors unless they put sand in the track and supports (imagine how expensive that would be let alone the ride towering in the horizon). They already have a drop tower (BTW how has Mach Tower been running this year?) A Star Flyer would also be a great addition but I don't think the location over by Festa is the place to put it for the best views.

Question, if my cousin was unable to fit on Nitro and Mako, does he stand a chance with apollo? Also, do you think he would be able to fit on InvadR and verbolten?

There is no "for sure" answer for this question. Given that ever ride is a bit different on how "friendly" it is. I've seen people not fit on one train of a roller coaster, yet the next train they fit on just fine.

Best advice any of us can give you, is to make sure your cousin tries the test seat before getting in line.

I would say no for Apollo. Not sure about the others you mentioned. It depends on body shape (especially thigh area). They may be able to ride Griffon or Alpengeist depending on their chest dimensions.

Verbolten's lapbar should be more forgiving than Apollo's restraint. InvadR 's can be a bit tricky. There are test seats at the entrance of the park's coasters it there's any doubt.

Alpie and Griffon both have big boy seats still.

While we're on this topic, I thought once upon a time, if Apollo locked then it was good to dispatch. When I have been this year, since the screen were installed I have seen several walks of shame even though the restraint had locked. Has BGW changed their systems or was I just mistaken before?

This is correct: the two middle seats of each row on Griffon and rows 5 and 6 (or is is 4 and 5?) on Alpengeist. They have double seat belts that lock into the OSRs.

^ I know on Nitro at Great Adventure there are little yellow strips at the base of the lap-bar that need to be completely visible in order for the train to be dispatched. The restraint can lock without that yellow strip being visible.

The yellow strips on Nitro are visible after two clicks (trust me, I uhh...*looks at gut shamefully*...know). Not sure if BGW uses a similar rule (i.e. two clicks) for Apollo or if they're more stringent.

While we're on this topic, I thought once upon a time, if Apollo locked then it was good to dispatch. When I have been this year, since the screen were installed I have seen several walks of shame even though the restraint had locked. Has BGW changed their systems or was I just mistaken before?

Been well over a decade since I stopped working there, but even back then Apollo needed 2 clicks and a clearly visible red line to go. It was possible to see the red line a bit and have it locked but the computer would say it wasn't locked. There's also that awkward spot where the pressure against the lock from a larger guest gets the restraint "stuck" where it lacks that wiggle room to unlock, and you hear a huge "thunk" when the air finally manages to pop the harness open, which makes an awkward situation worse since if everyone wasn't looking at that part of the station before, they are now.

Apollo was one of the early B&M coasters (if not the first) to have a computer "go no/go" system on restraints. Older B&Ms used to be able to leave the station with harnesses 100% up. Maybe some still can but I've noticed older B&Ms with new PLCs installed in recent years (I noticed Alpengeist got an upgrade sometime in the last few years for example).

As an interesting side note, load-testers for B&M coasters are actually too large for the "guest size" go/no go belts, so they can't be buckled when load testers are in. Just an extra layer of safety testing, sorta like how elevators are tested at something like twice their max capacity weight for safety.

They have also added a huge flat screen tv in the station to show the loading time and all seats locked red and green was there on Saturday and 3 train dispatches were under 45 seconds using the new screen helps the people boarding but also the ops to move faster

They have also added a huge flat screen tv in the station to show the loading time and all seats locked red and green was there on Saturday and 3 train dispatches were under 45 seconds using the new screen helps the people boarding but also the ops to move faster

Yeah, Valravn and Mako have that.

^&^^They have it on Montu & SheiKra at BGT as well. It may have been on Kumba, but I didn't notice since there was no wait...lol If not they will likely add them when they close for maintenance next month.

Im honestly surprised this hasn't made it's way over here but BGW just made a HOS announcement via Facebook live!

Here's a recap of what was announced:

July 13th, 2017 10:00PM

Dark Castle will become "Frostbite". It will be a new maze that uses some of dark castle's scenery. A whole new story where a guardian who has watched over the castle for years is no longer with us, thus the frost/iciness take over the maze and the monsters. The frost will take over whatever is inside and it has teeth and it will bite!

Firstly done at the park, you will go down into "the pit" where the ride "lives". You will explore the ride like you've never done before.

Video screens, climate control and flat floors will all play a big impact on the maze!

[fbvideonew]

[/fbvideonew]