TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 456: Information about Christmas Town 2021!

Okay, which one of you bums is at the American Revolution Museum right now? I ask because I noticed a Club TPR sticker on one of the cars in the lot.

If it helps narrow it down I think that particular person is a Club TPR member.

This park has never struck me as one where a skip the line pass was necessary, even on busy days. Get there at opening, hit Tempesto and InvadR early and then decide if you feel like you need it.

Griffon, Alpengeist and Apollo rarely have lines above 15 minutes anyway. Since the pass isn't valid on the 2 rides where you need it most, it seems entirely pointless. It's basically only useful for Le Scoot and Verbolten.

I want to give a shout out to the ride ops at Busch Gardens. It wasn't busy when I was there so they had a bit of leeway so the booth folks were very interactive with the riders. I even complimented one when I bumped into him when he was on break outside of the ride. He was having a ball sending out the trains on Apollo. It was a stark contrast to Hershey Park where everything was prerecorded and while the operators were efficient and very down to business, it was nearly Hilter Youth like.

Okay, which one of you bums is at the American Revolution Museum right now? I ask because I noticed a Club TPR sticker on one of the cars in the lot.

It wasn't me but I'll give the place a plug. It has a living history army camp and some nice pieces including the welcome banner and carriage for Lafayette. It is spotless and immaculate. I love how they used a recreation of a British Redoubt to act as a fence for the outside parts.

20170618_144504.thumb.jpg.fbb921b70d4743dd8e61b088a7c7181b.jpg

Camp reenactment

20170618_144611.thumb.jpg.9ea8e03b14f3e8d66071270b1b233042.jpg

20170618_144647.thumb.jpg.93fc52074311bcd91d86707c8d6b7766.jpg

20170618_144558.thumb.jpg.1d1baf922b45801fbe5cf03a924abc61.jpg

20170618_144537.thumb.jpg.c6369cb39b5c01b7773d3049ab86b1e3.jpg

20170618_144658.thumb.jpg.381fb0d8c1da4ac9a587a560860da4f5.jpg

20170618_145236.thumb.jpg.eef57d16b089c1ea7132d9cedff676ae.jpg

20170618_144752.thumb.jpg.607fc81eb5d834721c54db67f8a782a9.jpg

Cannon and musket demostrations

20170618_150603.thumb.jpg.83b7dfabaee92c248735b6b15cfaf8af.jpg

20170618_150617.thumb.jpg.3ddaffadc4cd1a8bffa34d417eaf06b9.jpg

20170618_150641.thumb.jpg.f6336845e27402a521693e0d28248f27.jpg

I want to give a shout out to the ride ops at Busch Gardens. It wasn't busy when I was there so they had a bit of leeway so the booth folks were very interactive with the riders. I even complimented one when I bumped into him when he was on break outside of the ride. He was having a ball sending out the trains on Apollo. It was a stark contrast to Hershey Park where everything was prerecorded and while the operators were efficient and very down to business, it was nearly Hilter Youth like.

I've had good experiences at BGW too, but I've also had great ride ops at Hershey Park. One guy I see working Wildcat occasionally is the coolest ride op I've met. It's nice to see when they seem to genuinely enjoy their job.

Ha! That was me. I was there with some friends from out of town. We also had a great lunch at the Water Street Grill in Yorktown, too.

Ha! That was me. I was there with some friends from out of town. We also had a great lunch at the Water Street Grill in Yorktown, too.

I had a suspicion! Too bad we didn't cross paths at some point. We actually ended up eating dinner at the place right next door (Riverwalk Cafe I think it was called?).

Also, ElvisLuv, great pics! My wife was in charge of taking most of the photos, and ended up dropping her DSLR the very first morning, so she's been shooting mostly blind. Still have yet to go through all the raw images.

Overall we had a great couple days down Virginia way, I hope I have the free time to write up a trip report soon. Definitely reconfirmed my suspicions that BGW is one of the best parks on the East Coast.

I had a suspicion! Too bad we didn't cross paths at some point. We actually ended up eating dinner at the place right next door (Riverwalk Cafe I think it was called?).

Also, ElvisLuv, great pics! My wife was in charge of taking most of the photos, and ended up dropping her DSLR the very first morning, so she's been shooting mostly blind. Still have yet to go through all the raw images.

Overall we had a great couple days down Virginia way, I hope I have the free time to write up a trip report soon. Definitely reconfirmed my suspicions that BGW is one of the best parks on the East Coast.

In that area, we did Busch Gardens, Nauticus Museum in Norfolk, Mariner's Museum in Newport News, Jamestown Settlement and Historic Jamestown, Colonial Williamsburg, Water Country USA, Yorktown Battlefield and the the American Revolution Museum there.

This was my "Didn't they learn anything from Pearl Harbor" moment, Four carriers in a row. Right to left, Ike, Washington, Lincoln, and Ford.

20170616_152052.thumb.jpg.316b3f319968ccdbcd3585e9437b3b83.jpg

"Height waiver for new attraction in Busch Gardens"

"Busch Gardens Madrid" ?!?!

New country-themed land?!?!

I saw this earlier today also. I have problems visualizing where they actually have room for a whole new country themed land, but I've been surprised before. I'm curious to see if anything comes out of this.

I would personally find it very odd for BG to add Madrid (a city) among various countries....

Hmm--"Italy" consists of "San Marco" and "Festa Italia." "Germany" was once consisted of both "Rhinefeld" and "Oktoberfest." "Canada" is "Fort New France."

I don't think it's all that strange.

This could be completely unrelated, but I have seen some survey markers near the train tracks along the old Drachen Fire site. I don't really see them expanding that way, but I thought I'd stoke the fire anyways. I think Spain kinda makes sense if they were to add a country.

What kind of coaster could you see in this new land if they were to build one?

I'm inclined to say RMC woodie (it would fit so well) but with Hurler getting the iron horse treatment I'm not so sure. I've also seen a B&M flyer as a long standing rumor.

I couldn't see them immediately pissing all over their new wooden GCI with a RMC wooden coaster, but that's me. There's no guarantee if the park does receive a new section that it will immediately receive a coaster, anyway.

With Tempesto, followed quickly by InvadR, and now possibly a new area, that seems like a shit load of money to dump into a park within a very small time frame.

I have problems visualizing where they actually have room for a whole new country themed land, but I've been surprised before. I'm curious to see if anything comes out of this.

My first thought was the Drachen Fire site. They have plenty of space back there.

What kind of coaster could you see in this new land if they were to build one?

I'm inclined to say RMC woodie (it would fit so well) but with Hurler getting the iron horse treatment I'm not so sure. I've also seen a B&M flyer as a long standing rumor.

LOL You do realize this park just opened a wooden coaster 4 months ago, right?

We know absolutely nothing about this new area other than the name on that permit (which could be a code name, yes?) so I'm not sure how you're able to assume how well an RMC would fit into it. Also, is the B&M flyer rumor the same as the perpetual Kings Dominion B&M flyer rumor that never dies yet never has and likely never will come to fruition?

For those who mentioned a star flyer - I could totally see this, or a giant frisbee of some sort? The park could definitely use more adult flats. Their coaster line-up is dynamite as it stands.

Yea, Im not even going to start talking coaster yet. Lets just see how this progresses. Spain would be interesting since it is the only major European country they have yet to cover besides Greece and Russia. Personally I'd rather see either of those before Spain.

Yea, Im not even going to start talking coaster yet. Lets just see how this progresses. Spain would be interesting since it is the only major European country they have yet to cover besides Greece and Russia. Personally I'd rather see either of those before Spain.

Well I'd like to see Greece too, but with Festa Italia the park may see that as a bit redundant. And with Russia, as cool as Busch could make it, I just don't think Russia is the best option with the recent events happening. It's just grounds for controversy, even if it would be undeserved controversy.

With regards to a coaster, I'd love to see a Maverick-style Intamin Blitz. I've been saying this since I first rode Maverick.

Well I'd like to see Greece too, but with Festa Italia the park may see that as a bit redundant. And with Russia, as cool as Busch could make it, I just don't think Russia is the best option with the recent events happening. It's just grounds for controversy, even if it would be undeserved controversy.

With regards to a coaster, I'd love to see a Maverick-style Intamin Blitz. I've been saying this since I first rode Maverick.

Yea your statement about Greece and Festa Italia has been a talking point of why no Greece for quite awhile. Russia would be awesome but of course people would bitch even if they theme it to 19th or 18th century Russia.

So I just got off BGW Fans and I read an article about a Line of Sight test behind Festa Italia (a place Spain has been rumored to go). Apparently the balloon was easily as tall as Mach Tower. This could have been for something as simple as fireworks, but if not, I'd say a Spain area behind Festa with a Starflyer is a good possibility.

EDIT: The height waiver is for a 315 ft attraction. Starflyer.

This could be completely unrelated, but I have seen some survey markers near the train tracks along the old Drachen Fire site. I don't really see them expanding that way, but I thought I'd stoke the fire anyways. I think Spain kinda makes sense if they were to add a country.

It's always possible, but that plot actually isn't as big as you might think riding by on the train. It's something like 5 1/2 acres total, and some of that site got eaten up by verbolten and the black forest. When you look at the plot on google maps and compare it to even "small" countries like Ireland, you get perspective on just how tiny that old plot really is compared to the park at large. With that said, NO ONE has managed to impress me more with putting things "where they shouldn't fit" than BGW.

IF they decided to build a new country without revamping an old one (the way Hastings became Ireland), the most logical spot would be in the pasture are between Italy and Festa Italia. However, unless they're planning to do away with the clydesdales (unlikely), or downgrade them to a smaller grazing pasture (again unlikely), I guess that isn't going to happen. The DF site was a grazing pasture before DF was built, but that was mostly to show off cows and other such animals. But big horses need big grazing and exercise areas, and I know they like to keep them tucked out of the way of guests for much of the day to keep the animals safe and happy.

It's most likely a red herring. Something tells me if they were planning a new country, they wouldn't give away the actual branding until they absolutely had to. You don't need to give the real name for zoning permits.

315 foot Starflyer themed around one of those Spanish dancin poles with the different color ribbons I forget the name of it, but that would be my guess. Unless they plan on upstaging i305 by 10 feet and getting a B&M Gigacoaster lol

I don't think building a giga 10ft taller 75 miles away is necessarily going to be a draw worth spending 30M for, If it's coaster maybe an Intamin accelerator. If it's not a coaster than a starflyer or maybe it's just an observation tower.