TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 452 - Busch Gardens Summer Nights

Looking forward to Chuck's report sometime after it opens May 26.

Sigh! Am I really that predictable? Well, I guess I am.

I spent Friday night (May 26) at the park to sample some of the new offerings at this year's edition of Food and Wine. As mentioned earlier, there are three new booths:

Mediterranean--If you're a fan of pizza cones, you're out of luck for a while, as this permanent food booth across from Escape from Pompeii has undergone it's usual Food and Wine Festival transformation. It used to be "Greece," and you can still sample the Halloumi (griddled Greek cheese with clover honey and pistachios). But it was all about the new Lamb Burger Slider on Friday night. The wee little lamb burger comes with a slice of cucumber and tomato with feta cheese spread, wrapped in pita bread (there's some pasta salad, too), and it's very good. I'm definitely going to try the Falafel (chickpea fritters) next time. Baklava and Ouzo round out the menu.

Island Freeze--Get your frozen adult beverages across from Verbolten. I didn't try one last night, but just might on a typically hot Virginia summer day.

India--You'll find this colorful tribute to the cuisine of the subcontinent in Germany, across from DarKastle. I tried the Tandoori Chicken, which was very tasty (and a bit spicy). The Spicy Potato Curry and Samosas looked pretty good, too.

The American Southwest Booth, which has moved from Canada to Scotland, is offering Ghost Pepper Guac this year--I had to check that out. The only minor bummer is that the France booth, with its yummy steak and coq au vin, is out this year.

Don't forget to pick up a festival guide for menus and a handy map locating all the booths. The park is also offering the "Busch Gardens Bot" (via Facebook Messenger), with event information, recipes, and other "fun stuff." Cashless wristbands and sampler cards (10 or 15 dishes or beverages) are available, as are wine and Scotch tastings. Pairings of Note is a new event at Castle O'Sullivan in Ireland: You can try six different samples pairing food with the appropriate wine--and live music. Or perhaps you'd prefer a Wine on the Rhine cruise.

Who wants to see pictures of buildings and food?

001.thumb.jpg.2473f395361701ee5b6a055b1f376c46.jpg

OK, where's the food at! I'm hungry!

002.thumb.jpg.4dd6b5c618f1e1a90e97ef0bebc3520f.jpg

Look--people at a water park riding slides and having actual fun! ;)

003.thumb.jpg.44f68838a72c0bef571aa926c6d11c95.jpg

The Virginia booth was back--and busy.

004.thumb.jpg.32df4dcbe57165bb5f924fa3301a3bad.jpg

I'm sure there are some people who would spend all day here, until they need to be carried out.

005.thumb.jpg.85a739c543a156134b9cce232670984f.jpg

Welcome to the booth formally known as "Greece."

006.thumb.jpg.6e3e8c431e12ece8762edb089a287c6a.jpg

Here's the menu. I'm sure that many of you are happy that you can still get the griddled Greek cheese.

007.thumb.jpg.e32138a6ddd1d2d351b320bafe19c4ea.jpg

I think the Lamb Slider was a step up from the kabobs of previous years--very tasty.

009.thumb.jpg.2d36f55815dd581aeb44792cadc332f1.jpg

There are food demos, too. Here we see the proper method for torturing a slab of tofu.

012.thumb.jpg.915dd62ebda4aacd9a2aa260dcb322a4.jpg

So, let's see what's new in Germany. (Yes, one coaster picture as per enthusiast law.)

013.thumb.jpg.dc29ccf13ce4e41c4b8765ea88d7edbe.jpg

As you all know, Germany is renowned for frozen tropical beverages, . . .

014.thumb.jpg.dd281f1a3f7673ad2b5ad084a7c405c0.jpg

. . . Argentinian wine, . . .

015.thumb.jpg.a863cc1f94d79396cd6351acc025405c.jpg

. . . and Indian food.

015a.thumb.jpg.109e54cdb28b48359ab1a738e85adf4c.jpg

I didn't know they grew that much curry in Germany.

016.thumb.jpg.a161fed4980585b682f31647467ceec7.jpg

Here's a peek at the menu.

017.thumb.jpg.77531bd26675f58636d471f841c9e0d3.jpg

The Tandoori Chicken (with cardamon ginger rice) was very good . . .

018.thumb.jpg.e66cc52afa644b9b7ec2720d7a247430.jpg

. . . and Bollywood elephant approved.

018a.thumb.jpg.52aa73a692c127c09d51f19f90afd6fa.jpg

There's a craft show by DarKastle, too. The woman in the middle of the picture has been selling prints of her paintings at the park for a few years now.

019.thumb.jpg.475beea7c242661df1cbf4270bccc9dd.jpg

And, if you must, you can still get German food and beer in Germany. ;)

020.thumb.jpg.d676e91837b58f3b849f601f442d93e5.jpg

What? There's guacamole?

021.thumb.jpg.05b1d98f07c8fd039bcc468152e738c8.jpg

BGW removed some of its animal displays this year. I wonder what they have planned for this space between France and Ireland?

022.thumb.jpg.944a3e12025c93fd89d16472449ad3ba.jpg

Hmm--no guac at the Tiki Bar. Let's move on.

023.thumb.jpg.90139e356be4019dea76057c2165a567.jpg

Aha! Should've guessed they'd have guacamole in Scotland.

024.thumb.jpg.a2522270bb8c2f2f6bd06cc9b0c1ade3.jpg

Might just need some beer to handle the ghost pepper.

025.thumb.jpg.2ab56d917487e5b9cb3184e1a17e687f.jpg

Cover me--I'm going in! This guac is kind of sneaky. It doesn't seem spicy at first, but it heats up a bit later. Good stuff.

008.thumb.jpg.d8a57864594a5b0e3580550e6be527be.jpg

I needed a mellow dessert after the Ghost Pepper Guac.

026.thumb.jpg.6077813b062171394cee0a40d1e7a37f.jpg

This Ginger-Lemongrass Custard should fill the bill.

027.thumb.jpg.050014a2f6d23b08c1591ae1a40e042e.jpg

The festival will be running on Memorial Day (Monday), but remember that it's only Friday-Sunday until July 2. Thanks for reading.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Halloween Harvest, or “Howl-o-Scream Lite.” Busch Gardens is sticking with its “reservations only/limited attendance” events with Halloween Harvest during October. This is sort of “Howl-o-Scream

^^Hmm--I think your assumption is correct.  @Mike240SX I'm certainly not expecting "full operations" before Memorial Day Weekend, which isn't unusual (for example, they usually don' t start operating

Before this thread derails off course into a COVID discussion, I’ll just keep it simple:  everyone should follow their state and local guidelines.  This isn’t something up for debate on TPR. Now

Posted Images

Thanks for the report, Chuck. I'll be visiting Busch Gardens at the end of June and it'll be my first time checking out F&W, looking forward to it.

My cousin is overweight with a size 40 waist. He could not fit on nitro or el toro at GA due to his large thighs. I plan on going to BGW with him sometime during the summer, are there any coasters that he will have complications with?

Alpengeist & Griffon both have "big boy" seats. . so no issues there.

and Apollo should be no issue either.

If anything, Tempesto will be an issue, and possibly LNM, due to how tight the cars are. . . waist won't be an issue, but large thighs might be.

Nice report Chuck. Looks like a great event!

Oh, and just for the record.... "After Dark" is a strip club in my city! Just saying....

021_361.jpg

BGW removed some of its animal displays this year. I wonder what they have planned for this space between France and Ireland?

Great report, Chuck! Luckily I just had a nice big dinner or else I would have started munchin on my computer monitor.

Hey everyone! I'm flying out to Virginia and will be visiting Kings Dominion and BGW on Saturday and Sunday respectively. I'm looking at the weather right now and the app on my phone is showing thunderstorms for both days in both cities. So my question is what can I expect in terms of ride closures at both parks? I'd be really bummed if major rides are closed for the day because it'll be my first and only visit to both parks so I'm a little worried right now. I know there's a KD thread but I figured I'd ask for both parks in here.

Hey everyone! I'm flying out to Virginia and will be visiting Kings Dominion and BGW on Saturday and Sunday respectively. I'm looking at the weather right now and the app on my phone is showing thunderstorms for both days in both cities. So my question is what can I expect in terms of ride closures at both parks? I'd be really bummed if major rides are closed for the day because it'll be my first and only visit to both parks so I'm a little worried right now. I know there's a KD thread but I figured I'd ask for both parks in here.

I've had the pleasure of visiting both on rainy days. In my experience Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens deal with the rain very well. Rides will be shut down if the weather becomes too dangerous such as high winds, lightning or heavy downpour but usually open right back up when the weather permits. Which rides shut down first and so forth, I wouldn't know. I have ridden I305 in some pretty heavy rain (Yes, it was painfully awesome) and almost every coaster at Busch Gardens in the same perhaps even heavier rain. I noticed that in both my experiences, it wasn't so much the rain and wind that shut them down, it was the lightning. If you're willing to wait it out and deal with the often moody/bipolar weather, it can be a great time at both parks (It's near impossible to not have a good time at Busch Gardens). It is what you make of it. I hope that helps.

The best part about BGW on rainy days is the crowds are minimal. I went a few years ago where there were thunderstorms forecast and a passing storm in the morning, but the park was empty when I got there. The sky was blue but since there was a threat of storm it seemed people kept away and everything was walk on that day.

Virginia has a lot of storms that come and go, I hope it ends up being a really good time for you.

Great report on the Food & Wine festival!

I'm heading there June 10th, is this year different that they include Beer and Wine in the Food & Beverage Sampler tickets? I bought one last year but don't remember.

Thank you, I appreciate the responses. I'm feeling a little more optimistic now!

I just checked the forecast and currently Saturday has a lower chance than Sunday, but even Sunday is just showing scattered thunderstorms. These would likely be passing afternoon/early evening showers which is common this time of year in the area. You should be good to go.

Has anyone done the Rhine river cruise? Debating doing it but was curious to hear some feedback about it first.

This is what it says...

"Date Night on the Rhine

There is nothing nicer than a cruise along the Rhine River in the heart of the World's Most Beautiful Theme Park - unless you add a sampling of food, various wines and beers.

ADULTS ONLY cruises available at 7:00PM & 8:00PM during our Food & Wine Festival"

Has anyone done the Rhine river cruise? Debating doing it but was curious to hear some feedback about it first.

This is what it says...

"Date Night on the Rhine

There is nothing nicer than a cruise along the Rhine River in the heart of the World's Most Beautiful Theme Park - unless you add a sampling of food, various wines and beers.

ADULTS ONLY cruises available at 7:00PM & 8:00PM during our Food & Wine Festival"

So we did the 6PM version, and lucked out, we were the only ones on the cruise(Wine on the Rhine). You get two servings of beer or wine, and a nice cheese, fruit, and chocolate sampler. The only difference by times is the earlier(4,5,6PM) ones aren't 21+. I thought it was relaxing and you do get a tour guide for the cruise.

This is what it says...

"Date Night on the Rhine

So we did the 6PM version, and lucked out, we were the only ones on the cruise(Wine on the Rhine). You get two servings of beer or wine, and a nice cheese, fruit, and chocolate sampler. The only difference by times is the earlier(4,5,6PM) ones aren't 21+. I thought it was relaxing and you do get a tour guide for the cruise.

It is a fun little boat ride on top of that. It offers some really good views of rides like Apollo's Chariot that you can't get anywhere else.

This is what it says...

"Date Night on the Rhine

I always enjoyed the Rhine River Cruise, any time I've done it it's been a nice calm few minute break for the day.

This is what it says...

"Date Night on the Rhine

Awesome thank you! Thanks to everyone else for the comments too. I'm going this weekend mainly for the food and wine festival so was thinking of doing that as well. Figure I'll get some rides in as well but the main focus will be as much food and drinks as possible lol

Just went to BGW and I had a great time

InvadR is a great family coaster at day, but at night... It's still a family coaster but cooler. Even though griffon is a dive coaster and it loses it's intensity after the first two or three rides, I rode it more than any coaster there. I have a problem Aplpengeist is rough and doesnt have very smooth elements. Loch Ness monster is... well, it's an arrow. And a good one at that

Just went to BGW and I had a great time

InvadR is a great family coaster at day, but at night... It's still a family coaster but cooler. Even though griffon is a dive coaster and it loses it's intensity after the first two or three rides, I rode it more than any coaster there. I have a problem Aplpengeist is rough and doesnt have very smooth elements. Loch Ness monster is... well, it's an arrow. And a good one at that

Alpengeist is defiantly rougher than it used to be, it's still fun, but I don't ride it as much as I would have in the past.

I know it's not the best coaster ever but Loch Ness Monster is still in my top ten ridden coasters, Arrow quality and all. It may just be my sense of nostalgia for that coaster.