TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 455: Opening night of Howl-o-Scream!

Virginia is really becoming a premier state for roller coasters, especially with this and RMC Hurler next year.

I've always wondered why not many put it up there with Ohio, Pennsylvania, and California.

No doubt we have some of the best quality rollercoasters of any state, especially the ratio of quality:mediocre rollercoasters would compete with the best of them. However, we do not have much in the way of quantity, especially when compared to the states you mentioned. We barely crack 20 coasters here, and that's including kiddies.

^ Yeah according to RCDB, there are 21 operating coasters in Virginia compared to 37 in Ohio, 50 in Pennsylvania, 51 in Florida, and a whopping 86 in Cali. (Yeah its a slow day @ work) Though between KD and BGW the quality is pretty high in VA if you ask me.

:lol: I was about to type out a "Make that 46 operating coasters in Pennsylvania" post to laugh at Lakemont's misery, but apparently RCDB already listed all of their coasters as SBNO. So carry on...

Their coasters will be opening again for the 2018 season with a pay-per-ride operation.

^ Yeah according to RCDB, there are 21 operating coasters in Virginia compared to 37 in Ohio, 50 in Pennsylvania, 51 in Florida, and a whopping 86 in Cali. (Yeah its a slow day @ work) Though between KD and BGW the quality is pretty high in VA if you ask me.

But do you want to ride "good," or ride a lot?

But do you want to ride "good," or ride a lot?

I'll take quality over quantity everyday. I'm lucky that I live in PA with Jersey and Ohio very close as well. We have a lot to choose from.

Yes. VA was definitely number 7 out of my top 100 roller coaster states in the US, but it moved up to number 5 after Invadr was constructed. Invadr will probably be #17 on my top 20 wooden roller coaster list.

Edited by prozach626

Yes. BGW was definitely number 7 out of my top 100 roller coaster states in the US, but it moved up to number 5 after Invadr was constructed. Invadr will probably be #17 on my top 20 wooden roller coaster list.

^I thought it was "Pennsatucky"?

But for real, this looks great from the video. If it's anything like White Lightning at Fun Spot down here in Orlando, it'll be less of a "aww cute little tiny GCI" and more of a "holy crap this thing flies through its course!"

If it's as good as White Lightning, that works for me.

Thinking about the Roller Coaster Insider Tour - any recommendations for this?

Only my second time going to BGW - and figured Saturday, April 15 will be rather crowded. And it's only $15 more than Quick Queue Unlimited that day.

I saw that you get a "special pass" to use afterward - is this just a Quick Queue Limited?

Fingers crossed that InvadR will also be included (but not expecting it).

Edited by Brad

I've heard the term, but I've also heard it from people in Lehigh county who take major issue with being lumped into the republic of Pennsyltucky and also think it should exclude Scranton / Wilkes Barre. The specific location of Pennsyltucky seems to be as much of a hotly contested issue as whether or not central Jersey exists or what's considered "Upstate New York".

We're dealing with some serious sh*t in the northeast...

Edited by coasterbill

Only my second time going to BGW - and figured Saturday, April 15 will be rather crowded. And it's only $15 more than Quick Queue Unlimited that day.

I saw that you get a "special pass" to use afterward - is this just a Quick Queue Limited?

I'm also thinking about doing this in June. It certainly has been a "bucket list" experience for me.

Speaking from someone who has done this tour, I would highly recommend it. Getting to go up the lift of Griffon alone was worth it for us.

The Quick Queue you get as part of this tour is a one time use quick queue. With InvadR opening this year I am curious to know if they add any sort of tour of that to it. There is video of our tour online but I am unable to post it here.

:lol: I've heard the term, but I've also heard it from people in Lehigh county who take major issue with being lumped into the republic of Pennsyltucky and also think it should exclude Scranton / Wilkes Barre. The specific location of Pennsyltucky seems to be as much of a hotly contested issue as whether or not central Jersey exists or what's considered "Upstate New York".

I'm from Pennsyltucky. It does exist and I would absolutely drag the Scranton / Wilkes-Barre area into it just to see them squirm.