TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 455: Opening night of Howl-o-Scream!

Thanks for the update, Chuck! I for one am excited about this ride and am hoping to get back next year to ride it! I think it has the potential to be the sleeper hit of the season.

Saw the Christmas Town announcement today. Looks like BG is adding a lot of new stuff this year. I do question the "most holiday lights in North America" line. Has Busch Gardens been waiting for the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights to close so they can claim this title?

14713612_10154144255878315_3605054832311033651_n.jpg.a203b9647403b833946b4352609615f0.jpg

2 coasters? I'm assuming that second one is the kiddie coaster?

They commented on the post that it will be Verbolten and Tempesto. Some smart A* ( ) questioned about the claim to the most lights and the answered right back that they will have 8.2 million lights this year.

2 coasters? I'm assuming that second one is the kiddie coaster?

Believe it or not it's Tempesto! That's actually pretty awesome news. The Grover coaster is open too along with Verbolten as always.

I would so go back down if they had the B&Ms open. Come on BGW, be like Six Flags.

No no actually don't... but maybe just a tiny little bit.

I would so go back down if they had the B&Ms open. Come on BGW, be like Six Flags.

No no actually don't... but maybe just a tiny little bit.

It's a shame that they don't have all of their coasters operating. I'm sure they can all run fine in cold temperatures.

Dollywood has no issues running all of their coasters, I don't think Arrows have a temperature limit so Loch Ness Monster would probably be fine and Great Adventure has blown any theories about low temperatures and B&M's to hell. Hell even if they did just what Dollywood does and require 40 degrees to start them and close them at 36 that's way below the average daily temperature in Williamsburg. They would probably close early some nights but the park is open from 2 to 10 during the event so they can run most of the day and at night most people will be focused on lights anyway.

Like Hershey, they're stepping up their game a little bit at a time though so that's a good sign. Hopefully increased competition causes more and more parks to run coasters in December.

By the way I just realized that the indoor, temperature controlled Dark Ride isn't open for this event. What the hell? I mean... I get it, it's not a family friendly ride but neither is Tempesto.

Starting a petition for a Curse of the DarKastle Christmas overlay? A very Prince Ludwig Christmas? KristmasKastle?

Yeah that's totally wack Curse of Darkastle is closed.

Seriously though heading down there for a long weekend in December, getting a hotel in Williamsburg and hitting the park a few days during their Xmas event sounds like it would be absolutely amazing....

If the B&Ms were running.

This would be the best Christmas park ever if they ran all of the coasters. I'm sure their seasonal beer collection is out of this world and there's nothing I love more than cold weather drinking. In the summer you kind of need to drink water and stay hydrated occasionally. In the winter there's no need to waste your time with that type of bull***.

Surprised no one has linked to the parks post about the trains for Invadr.

It's been a very busy few weeks at the InvadR construction site. Rather than update you on what's going on at the project site like previous posts, I would like to take a moment and talk about three character qualities: talent, skill and dedication. The Busch Gardens maintenance team exemplifies those three qualities and they deserve recognition for their hard work in bringing InvadR to life. We mentioned previously that the InvadR trains were gently used for a few seasons at our sister park, Busch Gardens Tampa Bay. Our maintenance team had been tasked with re-building these trains in order to make them look and run as if they were brand new. There's quite a bit of work involved in refurbishing these trains and I am happy to report that they look amazing!

I have enjoyed observing so many of our talented team members taking ownership of these trains. Rebuilding them has involved quite a number of people and departments such as the park ride mechanics, painters, carpenters, welders, ride supervisors, the SEA creative studio and support from the Busch Gardens and ride vendor engineering teams. Even our Park President, David Cromwell was able to lend a hand at turning a few bolts this week (photo below)!

The photo below shows what a completed lead axle chassis and first coach chassis looks like. I am very pleased with how these trains are coming together.

With all of this progress on the trains, there were many of us who wanted to take the trains for a test drive. Below are a few photos of the Busch Gardens design team (including me) testing out one of the new trains.

Some of you may ask, "What about the theming on the trains?" I think our fans will be very excited to see what we have in store with this; Suzy from the engineering department will have more to share on that at a later date!

Jonathan Smith

Design and Engineering

InvadR-cars-test-1-300x304.png.f2d420922272753ee968bdc03c9b9dda.png

InvadR-cars-test-2-930x3652.png.59ae3d6b410437c3d13df8b4a6610812.png

InvadR-cars-test-3-930x3653.png.ac22270fba731eb0abe2aa8acf9b453e.png

^

I mean, they have a freaking invert themed to a runaway ski lift. And they don't run it during a Xmas event.

Or when it snows.

alpie_0.jpg

The park won't run their B&M coasters when the temperatures drops below 42 degrees.

By the way I just realized that the indoor, temperature controlled Dark Ride isn't open for this event. What the hell? I mean... I get it, it's not a family friendly ride but neither is Tempesto.

Part of the answer is probably annual maintenance and staffing. Plus, the space in front of DarKastle is taken up with the Mistletoe Marketplace, a craft show that runs during Christmas Town.