TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 456: Information about Christmas Town 2021!

Ow oh Tempesto. It's like a mix of Temperament and pesto, the two main ingredients for an Italian food fight.

This ride is just wrong. It's way too much in Apollo's comfortzone for a park with such landscape and space. I do love the look of twisty tangled up rollercoaster skylines like Port Aventura making Dragon Khan look small with Shambahala. but that is a world class ride that was build to impress and intimidate. Tempesto is a standard coaster model with no character at all compared to their world - record breaking thrill rides. Even grumpy old Ness is more interesting to ride, being an old school legend with the last remaining interlocking looper.

And for dessert, I really hated that extra Premier leg restrain on Skyscream. Rather ride a shaky Vekoma SLC than getting forced into that weird yoga position again. Totally took my focus off the ride though it was a pretty fun, new, layout. The wait won't be worth the ride, when it's over 30 min.

Sorry for those who are really excited, I just can't get BGW's choice for their new ride, no matter how hard I try.

Ow oh Tempesto. It's like a mix of Temperament and pesto, the two main ingredients for an Italian food fight.

Disregarding your opinion on the ride, I cringed at this.

Yeah! If you get very lucky on the train, you can see Verbilten, Loch Ness, Alpengeist, and Griffon all go over the rhine river at the same time. Then there was Ac, off by it's lonely self. I'm glad theres another coaster over there now. Even if I end up not liking it, seeing different coaster trains go by each other is fun.

The thing that has bothered me about Tempesto since they started building it is how ugly the supports are...

I agree. B&M and even Intamin have odd supports here and there when neccesary, but a majority of their rides tend to intentionally have a way with making the supports "fit" the circuit of their rides, to where they're almost artistic. The supports for this ride look clunky and rigid.

...if I had one word to describe this entire project it would be 'sloppy'. I too hold Busch parks to a higher standard than most and this just feels uninspired/thrown together. I hate to be a Negative Nancy but this is how I feel.

I have never been to this park, although I am looking forward to visiting some day! However, every single picture I've seen of this ride really makes me wonder if they could have found a better place to install it. It looks awkward, out of place, almost an eyesore that at first glance seems to not really been thought out well. Which is very odd considering how visually appealing most rides at Busch parks tend to be.

That being said, once you get on the ride, it looks like it will be a fantastic experience.

Wait, people are upset that Apollo's Chariot and Tempesto are too close together?

Point taken, but to be honest I also think that Griffon ruined the view from down on the river. Had it been able to drop down to the water I think it would've blended in well, but that elevated immelmann is just so obtrusive.

At least in that case, it's because Loch Ness Monster is in the way - a solid excuse in my book.

After seeing where it is in person, it didn't bother me a bit; in fact, I think it really freshens up Festa Italia.

I also think that the view of the three coasters from the bridge between Italy and Oktoberfest is great.

Edited by cfc

And for dessert, I really hated that extra Premier leg restrain on Skyscream. Rather ride a shaky Vekoma SLC than getting forced into that weird yoga position again. Totally took my focus off the ride though it was a pretty fun, new, layout. The wait won't be worth the ride, when it's over 30 min.

Now you sound just plain ridiculous. You're going to sit here and say you rather ride a Vekoma SLC instead of the best cloned rides in the world? I understand your displeasure with this ride but that is just something I cannot believe. I don't care if this ride was painted white with pink and vomit colored polka dots, there is no way I am choosing and SLC over it.

Let's be honest with ourselves here - how many typical Busch Gardens Williamsburg guests do you think actually know that Superman Ultimate Flight exists over in California? Have a number? Awesome! Divide that number by 74,632 and you'll get how many typical guests know that Sky Scream exists.

Busch Gardens has the right to invest their money in anything they want, and in this case it's an [apparently] really fun launched coaster in a seemingly-neglected area of the park that will absolutely be a hit with their guests.

Let's be honest with ourselves here - how many typical Busch Gardens Williamsburg guests do you think actually know that Superman Ultimate Flight exists over in California? Have a number? Awesome! Divide that number by 74,632 and you'll get how many typical guests know that Sky Scream exists.

Busch Gardens has the right to invest their money in anything they want, and in this case it's an [apparently] really fun launched coaster in a seemingly-neglected area of the park that will absolutely be a hit with their guests.

I can count on one hand the number of locals in Williamsburg who know this--one.

Just be glad they are building a new coaster. The whole company is suffering right now and this was probably all they could fit in their budget.

Just because it is a clone does not mean it is by default a horrible ride (unless it is an SLC).

A Premier Launcher can never be a bad thing.

That said-

...The whole company is suffering right now...

This addition does kind of give that vibe off.

There is no park I'd rather be at than one of either Busch Tampa or Williamsburg. I hope this ends up working well for BGW.

What irks me more than it being off-the-shelf model with awful awful capacity is the fact that they just built a multi-launching coaster 3 years ago. They could've used any other type of coaster instead. For the first time in a long time, BGW has received a high thrill attraction, but it seems wasted with this ride. It's simply an all encompassing disappointment of a new ride. Sure it's a fine coaster (at least superman is), but it is exactly not what BGW needs at all.

Tempests will not be comparable to Verbolten in any way. Verbolten is, for all intents and purposes, a family coaster. That doesn't mean it isn't thrilling or a great launched coaster, but it is nothing like Tempesto.

I don't have any issue with this being a clone. The capacity might be iffy, but with the extra car and a promise for fast dispatches, after some of the hype dies off I don't see it being an issue. The park said themselves this is not a major investment, so I don't think the argument of "this feels cheap" is valid.

Personally I think it is a good choice for BGW's coaster lineup. It's not meant to be their star attraction at all, so why critique it as if it were?

Tempests will not be comparable to Verbolten in any way. Verbolten is, for all intents and purposes, a family coaster. That doesn't mean it isn't thrilling or a great launched coaster, but it is nothing like Tempesto.

I don't have any issue with this being a clone. The capacity might be iffy, but with the extra car and a promise for fast dispatches, after some of the hype dies off I don't see it being an issue. The park said themselves this is not a major investment, so I don't think the argument of "this feels cheap" is valid.

Personally I think it is a good choice for BGW's coaster lineup. It's not meant to be their star attraction at all, so why critique it as if it were?

I really enjoyed Verbolten but it could have used some airtime. Outside of that, I enjoyed it.