TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 456: Information about Christmas Town 2021!

Most of the people at Passholder Preview seemed pretty excited about Tempesto, and I didn't hear any complaints about the color scheme. The name (when it was first leaked) never bothered me either, and the back story was a nice touch.

They need to offer some sort of "pasta with Tempesto" at Food and Wine, or I'll be mildly disappointed.

Speaking of Tempesto . . .

Busch Gardens Passholder Preview Day 2015

The Festhaus's two shows, Entwined and This is Oktoberfest, are being replaced with something called Roll Out the Barrel.

On the bright side they are FINALLY closing that train wreck Entwined and I REALLY hope the new Festhaus show celebrates the heritage and pure fun that This is Oktoberfest was. However, since the majority of the Entertainment staff was laid off a few months ago, I am not holding my breath.

Speaking of Tempesto . . .

Busch Gardens Passholder Preview Day 2015

The Festhaus's two shows, Entwined and This is Oktoberfest, are being replaced with something called Roll Out the Barrel.

On the bright side they are FINALLY closing that train wreck Entwined and I REALLY hope the new Festhaus show celebrates the heritage and pure fun that This is Oktoberfest was. However, since the majority of the Entertainment staff was laid off a few months ago, I am not holding my breath.

Entwined, in either of its iterations, was pretty bad, and the abbreviated This is Oktoberfest they offered in the evenings wasn't exactly pulling people in. The park did redeem itself a bit with Monster Stomp on Ripper Row at Howl-o-Scream and Scrooge No More during Christmas Town (London Rocks wasn't bad, either). I did think it was interesting that what appears to be a new show in the Festhaus wasn't even mentioned during the presentation.

Edited by cfc

Wow, looks a lot better than I thought it would. Hopefully the landscape will pull everything together. I'm not sure how big of a problem the capacity will be. How crowded does the park get anyway? CP is able to get away with Wicked Twister, so it seems like a less crowded park could get away with this.

Wow, looks a lot better than I thought it would. Hopefully the landscape will pull everything together. I'm not sure how big of a problem the capacity will be. How crowded does the park get anyway? CP is able to get away with Wicked Twister, so it seems like a less crowded park could get away with this.

From my experience, while BGW isn't nearly as consistently crowded as Cedar Point, it can still draw some large crowds on busier days. Keep in mind, however, that Cedar Point has almost three times as many coasters as BGW, and Wicked Twister probably isn't even in the top third in popularity at the park. Its train also carries almost twice as many riders as Tempesto's.

From my experience, while BGW isn't nearly as consistently crowded as Cedar Point, it can still draw some large crowds on busier days. Keep in mind, however, that Cedar Point has almost three times as many coasters as BGW, and Wicked Twister probably isn't even in the top third in popularity at the park. Its train also carries almost twice as many riders as Tempesto's.

Wicked Twister used to be my go to coaster at Cedar Point. Never had a line so you could ride it over and over again. Adding GateKeeper, and the continued improvements of that midway have changed that. Still not hugely popular, but no longer a walk on. Back when Cedar Point used to give those front of the line passes, I was marathoning Wicked Twister with my cousin when it broke down. They gave everyone in line those passes, and we got to bypass an almost two hour wait at Millennium Force. All for a walk on.

As for Tempesto, it looks a lot better than I thought it would. I'm sure it's going to be a fun ride, but the line is going to be brutal.

^But will Tempesto's line be as brutal as the line at the new ice cream parlor?

http://instantrimshot.com/index.php?sound=rimshot&play=true

I've spoken my peace about Tempesto, and putting my optimist goggles on, perhaps in a couple of years things will normalize and capacity won't be such a nightmare once Manby realizes what this park truly needs is an RMC woodie. Should I start a letter-writing campaign?

Wow, loved the opening day photos Chuck. As always BGW looks amazing, even when all the foliage is still dormant. Having ridden it's west coast brother, Tempesto should be a great new addition for the park and a very solid launched coaster. I might actually make it out to the park within the next week and a half, still don't know my upcoming itinerary. However if I don't, that just means I'll have to come later in the season when a new credit is available. As always, I love photo TRs of BGW, one of the most beautiful parks I've been to, and in true Busch Gardens fashion a nice solid coaster line-up.

As part of the chains aggressive, never-ending effort to keep losing money the ride won't be offered on Quick Queue at all. It sounds like they'll have Plinko but no option to actually buy a skip the line pass.

Source

I think their reason for not putting Tempesto on Quick Queue is because the lines will be long enough as they are, and QQ users would just make it even worse.

Edited by VF15

Any woodie, RMC or otherwise should be the next coaster here. I have a feeling Tempesto's capacity will only be this "nightmare" we all fear during this season. And who knows? Maybe the low capacity is the reason the ride was never hyped up in the media like most new attractions are.

I hope they put accelerometers on Tem Pesto. BGW is the only place I've seen them installed on coasters (the three Beemers all have them) and it's amusing to watch during the ride. Tem Pesto's prototype in California has strong airtime going up and coming down the vertical spikes, so this model is likely to have even stronger airtime due to the longer train. Twice the ride of Apollo in half the time.

Twice the ride of Apollo in half the time.

I'm fairly certain that I would still prefer riding Apollo's Chariot than Tempesto. There's nothing wrong with Tempesto, but it's just not my kind of coaster.

I can understand why they wouldn't want it on Quick Queue, but it's too bad that BGW doesn't seem to like single-rider lines (they haven't used them on Apollo's Chariot or Griffon for a few years now).

The Daily Press (Newport News) posted a nice gallery of BGW photos: http://www.dailypress.com/visuals/photography/dp-news-bgw-lookback-photogallery-photogallery.html. It's always fun to look back and see how a park developed over the years.

Thanks for sweet trip report updating us on the worst kept secret at BGW. But in all seriousness BGW has to be loving it. They spent almost next to nothing on the promotion of this ride, just let enthusiasts and others speculate about it for free and it will probably have the same effect as a full blown marketing campaign but much cheaper. But more importantly Chuck, can you tell us more about the Ghirardelli chocolate you mentioned? Will there be a new Ghirardelli shop? Or are they just going to feature Ghirardelli chocolate at places all over the park where food is already sold?