TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 466: Christmas Town starts on November 11th

I just can't get over this. If your company is bleeding money and you build a new coaster that doesn't fit in at all as an attempt to stop the bleeding a little why would you not advertise it ahead of time? Look at what Carowinds is doing... they're having a special preview event to get people to buy season passes, they're getting all the news stations to hype the crap out of it for weeks leading up to opening day and they're probably spending some actual money on more traditional advertising methods too.

If you spend millions of dollars on a coaster you need to hype it up and let people know it exists or you'll never see a return on investment. I'm not saying I can run the marketing department at Busch Gardens or anything but this is simple, simple stuff.

I just can't get over this. If your company is bleeding money and you build a new coaster that doesn't fit in at all as an attempt to stop the bleeding a little why would you not advertise it ahead of time? Look at what Carowinds is doing... they're having a special preview event to get people to buy season passes, they're getting all the news stations to hype the crap out of it for weeks leading up to opening day and they're probably spending some actual money on more traditional advertising methods too.

If you spend millions of dollars on a coaster you need to hype it up and let people know it exists or you'll never see a return on investment. I'm not saying I can run the marketing department at Busch Gardens or anything but this is simple, simple stuff.

It's not that simple. For starters the scale of the installation at Carowinds is much bigger. Fury 325 can be promoted and accepted by the public as a signature ride. Carowinds is also generally a long way from maximizing park attendance on any particular day.

The promotional and public relations routes are much more cost effective in getting the message out there versus solely advertising.

A new ride like Fury 325 is going to sell a lot more incremental tickets than Tempesto no matter how Tempesto is promoted.

^As I recall, it was sort of like a Himalaya, only you rode in "ships" in which you would face forward for part of the ride, then turn so you were facing backward. It was fun.

^^Skip to 5:07.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

I'd forgotten about the water fountain in the middle of the Sea Dragon. It was a cool little ride back in the day.

^Yep--similar to that.

Edited by cfc

^Saturday might be a bit busy. You can always spring for Quick Queue if necessary. The preferred parking is nice because you can just walk from your car to the ticket booths and turnstiles; however, the tram service for the other parking lots works pretty well.

Thank you for the description of Sea Dragon. That catalog name is actually a Mack "Sea Storm", and Mack also built the ride "Tradewind" (the Muzik Express).

Carowinds has a Sea Storm (as someone referenced to), and that ride was relocated from Canada's Wonderland. Darien Lake had one which was removed and Marineland has one still as well called "Hurricane Cove"

It's not that simple. For starters the scale of the installation at Carowinds is much bigger. Fury 325 can be promoted and accepted by the public as a signature ride. Carowinds is also generally a long way from maximizing park attendance on any particular day.

The promotional and public relations routes are much more cost effective in getting the message out there versus solely advertising.

A new ride like Fury 325 is going to sell a lot more incremental tickets than Tempesto no matter how Tempesto is promoted.

Exactly. What you guys don't understand is that it costs a lot of money to market and advertise rides too. In the case of Tempesto, considering it was likely a cheap installation and that there's huge competition, it's probable that a successful marketing plan would cost almost as much as the ride itself. It's not cost effective to market the hell out of this thing when it doesn't stand a chance to Fury, Thunderbird, etc. What BGW is doing is smart (shocker, some posters on a fan site DON'T know more about the business than actual higher-ups in the industry!!), locals at the park will catch wind of the addition naturally and it will drive steady business throughout the season rather than a big opening hoopla with tons of crowds.

Let BG do their thing...there's a reason they are in the marketing department and we aren't lol.