TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 466: Howl-o-Scream Media Night

The BS story they fed the public about Wolf always being planned to retire at 25 years was a fabrication.

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. The Big Bad Wolf did beat itself to death every season; for example, one of my coworkers had a son who worked as a technician at the park, and he was part of the crew that had to "weld" the ride together every night (or so she said). However, I think they did want it to last at least one more season, but decided that it wasn't worth the expense to keep it safe and running.

Edited by cfc

It's almost like there was no thought process put into this. They just kinda found a small plot of land and decided to plop it down there. Very sore thumbish looking if you ask me.......

I must agree with you on this. Usually Busch rides are so well thought out, and usually well themed IE: Cheetah Hunt, and Verbolten. This just seems so... "We need a new coaster, where can we put it? Here is a small area of land, lets put it here..." Obviously the park knows what they are doing, and I am sure it will look great when it is all said and done, but as of now I am with you... It stands out like a sore thumb.

The prototype at SFDK is a great ride, with more ejector airtime than all of BGW's rides added together. The vertical drop is more intense than Griffon's drop. It's a far better launch than Verbolten. The only critique is the capacity, it wouldn't be fun to wait an hour or more for such a short ride. If Busch customers don't like it there are many other parks that would be happy to have it instead. And it's not like a Boomerang or SLC hang and bang where there are copies in many places.

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. The Big Bad Wolf did beat itself to death every season; for example, one of my coworkers had a son who worked as a technician at the park, and he was part of the crew that had to "weld" the ride together every night (or so she said). However, I think they did want it to last at least one more season, but decided that it wasn't worth the expense to keep it safe and running.

I'd take that with a grain of salt. Arrow coasters are fairly self destructive, and wolf was no exception, but the above statement is a bit exaggerated. I talked to green taggers quite a bit when I was working on Wolf and never heard anything that extreme. Don't get me wrong, it's not completel wrong, all Arrow's are fairly self destructive. Due to the self destructive nature of Arrow coasters, they do get a train inspection every 4 hours to make sure everything is fine, but having worked on BGW Arrows for several years, I never once saw a train fail the inspection. Even if one did fail, it wouldn't even be a huge deal, it would just mean something was a knocked a bit out of alignment, or a non-essential screw was a bit untightened, and they'd pull the train from service and repair it quickly. The really important features all have redundancies. As anyone who has taken the coaster tour surely can attest, BGW maintenance is world class.

My issue is that for years maintenance guys were talking about overhauls being discussed to LNM and Wolf to modernize them and reduce repair costs, with some of the rumors involving replacing the trim brakes with magnetic upgrades, and a possible redesign to the bogies to get rid of "the Arrow gap." But when the company sold, suddenly those talks magically vanish and so does the wolf, which again wouldn't bother me if they were upfront about the reasons, but they weren't. If the excuse they gave was to be taken at face value, LNM should have been long gone. Hell, not only does LNM have all the same issues Wolf did, it has more due to various oddities of it's design (not enough brake runs to stack trains, block brakes are completely level and too short). Yet Busch keeps it running, and maintains it to the point that it's arguably the smoothest, best Arrow still out there today. I think InBev just didn't want to come out and say "look, we don't want to keep paying the upkeep on both Arrows, nor do we really care to upgrade them to reduce upkeep, so we're just going to get rid of Wolf," so instead they just made up a "this was always the plan, don't blame us!" story and moved on.

I am still shocked that Busch is the second park in the US to get one of these. It is without a doubt a fun coaster, but it just does not seem to the type of ride a Busch park would get. This does seem like a design that would fit better at a mid-sized park. (All three other parks that have announced one of these are small to mid-sized).

I do wonder (and hope) that this one will have the transfer track like the one in Mexico. It would seem very un-Busch like not to have that feature.

On a more positive observation, this installation could lead to more clones, as this is probably the first big name park to be buying one of these. I doubt that many GP outside of Central Europe are aware of Holiday Park, or that many people outside of the Bay Area and surrounding states are aware of SFDK But, a fair amount of people across the US do know about Busch Gardens. The purchase from a park this well-known and popular could lead to more purchases, possible leading to this design to be this generation's boomerang.

This ride will be fun...but offers no potential of being World Class and has a great risk of being totally average. I mean, what role does it fill in the park? Apollo's Chariot will remain a better coaster just steps away, Verbolten will remain a better coaster that has multiple launches and isn't intimidating from the outside. Plenty of loops in the park with Alpengeist, Loch Ness, and Griffon, and Loch Ness will remain in as the "first coaster" role...

And in the dead horse category, we know from SFDK's experience that this ride offers a perfect mix of "That thing looks awesome!" and below average capacity.

I'm with the crowd. If there were a boomerang called "Diavolo" that had been in this exact plot of land since it's opening in 1987, it would only be degrees less interesting than this brand new 2015 lineup addition. Will be a fun ride but just is an odd choice for "classy-class" BGW.

Edited by BlahBlahson

While I doubt that this will be a "top-ten" ride, I think it'll be fun; I'm a fan of Premier's launched shuttles. As usual, my attitude on these projects is "wait and see." As I recall, the enthusiast was complaining about Verbolten while it was being built, but the ride became a hit with guests and turned out to be a good addition to the park.

Isn't there a rumor that this ride will run with a 3 car train like full thottle for increased capacity.

This has been mentioned, but not confirmed by the park (as far as I know).

Verbolten will remain a better coaster that has multiple launches and isn't intimidating from the outside.

Gotta say that I was disappointed a bit in Verbolten. It was fun but a bit underwhelming for a $50 million attraction. I wish they had put something in more akin to PowderKeg if Busch was trying for the exciting family ride thing.

I know a lot of enthusiasts are upset about the capacity issue but I think Diavolo looks like a lot of fun. It's obviously not trying to vie for attention as the new flagship ride in the park and looks like a great complementary addition.

^ I liked Verbolten, but I actually prefer Superman at SFDK to it.

This ride will be fun...but offers no potential of being World Class and has a great risk of being totally average.

Why does every ride a park builds have to be a giant "world class" E-Ticket attraction? Didn't Disney prove that a good balance of E, D, C, B, and A ticket attractions makes for a great balance for a park? And why exactly would it be a bad thing if this turned out to be a solid "D-Ticket" attraction?

And like Jake said, the one thing people seem to be forgetting - it is a *GREAT* ride! it's not an "average" ride at all. What are you even talking about BlahBlahson? Have you ridden one of these before? I'm guessing the answer is "no." Well, I have. And I don't know of anyone who has been on one of these and didn't think it was a solid, fun ride. I personally LOVED the version at SFDK and questioned "Why aren't more parks building one of these?"

I'm really just sick of everyone complaining about everything. The park is building a decent attraction. Quit your annoying, pointless, irritating bitching.

Thank you.

I tried to temper my expectations for Verbolten because I understood what Busch was going for when constructing it. I enjoyed it and don't think it's a bad ride. I did ride PowderKeg in August though and I think that kind of retroactively increased my disappointment

I think most people are upset at the fact it's a clone and nothing original that we'd expect from BGW. However if it's a fun ride and it brings more people to the park, then I don't see the problem with this ride being installed. After all BGW isn't trying impress just us "coaster enthusiasts".

I think most people are upset at the fact it's a clone and nothing original that we'd expect from BGW. However if it's a fun ride and it brings more people to the park, then I don't see the problem with this ride being installed. After all BGW isn't trying impress just us "coaster enthusiasts".

And who gives a crap if it is a clone? Most people going to BGW won't know the same ride exists in Germany, Mexico, and Northern California. The ride will be pretty unique compared to what's in other parks in Eastern United States.

Edit to add:

Also, at this point, what's really original about any of BGW's coasters except for maybe the theming and terrain? I guess Verbolten's drop-track and indoor component and maybe Griffon (since there's only one other dive coaster in the US). Even Kings Dominion (an hour away) has a family multi-launch coaster.

Edited by redfoot12

I think most people are upset at the fact it's a clone

You're right. We should tell Disney to stop cloning Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, and Tower of Terror at all their parks.

Just because a ride isn't "original" or a custom layout, doesn't mean it doesn't have the potential to be great.

I tried to temper my expectations for Verbolten because I understood what Busch was going for when constructing it. I enjoyed it and don't think it's a bad ride. I did ride PowderKeg in August though and I think that kind of retroactively increased my disappointment

Although I like Verbolten, I also agree that Powder Keg is a better ride.

Yeah, I don't get why people have such a big problem with clones when they're good rides. I'd understand the complaining if BGW was getting a low-quality clone like a Boomerang or a Volare, but from what I've heard, S:UF at SFDK is a great ride, and I'm sure that this coaster will be great too. After all, isn't that really all that matters?