TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 456: Information about Christmas Town 2021!

Bgfans said that there was a tweet u can look up the article I just read it off their fb page (bgfans) so

BGWfans isn't BGW, and they get a tremendous amount wrong. Their "history of Drachen Fire" is laughably incorrect in just about every way (including being a large spreader of the "designed by B&M rumor" that is completely untrue). They are the root of a very large number of incorrect rumors, take wild rumors that aren't theirs and spread them like wildfire as fact, and in one bizarre case, took what should have been a good rumor for them and "debunked it" even though it's true (they claim that the grounds worker that died in 93' after being struck by BBW was just a rumor, even though you can actually find digital copies of the news reports online).

It is very possible Tempesto is the name and that they have accurate leaked information. It's also possible that it's one of the cover names Busch registers for their coasters to throw people off (Griffon was registered as "Le Phenix" until very shortly before it was officially announced). It's also possible it was going to be the name, and Busch will change it. I won't be shocked at all to learn it really is named Tempesto, but I also won't consider it "confirmed" until it's on their site.

^Busch did the same thing with Cheetah Hunt in Tampa by calling it "Cheetaka" (or was that "Cheetakah"?). We'll see. I don't think "Tempesto" is a bad name, but the other one that's been floating around, "Diavolo," is better.

I would count on Saturday night being very busy, thanks to Howl-o-Scream (I usually avoid the park on October Saturdays). But there's always Quick Queue, which does include haunted houses. They have some different dining options during HOS, as well, such at Igor's Fright Feast (a buffet with a show) in Ireland and the Blood Banquet (a buffet in Germany with vampire characters lurking about).

Probably gonna try to go to the part on Oct 4. Looking for more info on Quick Queue, it's a little pricey, but as a coaster dork the more rides I can get without waiting the better . How does the system work at BGW? How long do lines usually get during HOS?

Thanks!

I still can't wrap my head around this whole "Temptesto/Diavolo" thing. I just feel like it is very unlike Busch Gardens to add something like this. It almost feels like they are adding a coaster for the sake of adding a coaster. But what do I know anyway, maybe it'll turn out great.

^ Agreed, I'm trying not to judge them as harshly as I did when I heard the news until after I've been on the ride myself. If the lines move faster than the slow crawl I fear, and it's fun, I don't mind the addition. I really would love to see a return to the "terrain hugging" rides that are truly unique, but the park doesn't have enough space to really do that without taking something else out. The spots people always cite to add a coaster will almost certainly never be used because they already serve another purpose, or are too close to nearby housing developments.

Also I really like the Wild Maus. It got a lot of hate in its final years because the manufacture of the ride raised the height requirement after an accident elsewhere in the world. Suddenly kids would be tall enough to ride wolf and LNM, but no the Wild Maus, and parents lost their minds over it. It's a shame all around, but at least they gave it a fresh start somewhere that people didn't realize the height requirement used to be lower.

I've never been to this park, so please forgive me if the answer to my question is obvious.

A coaster enthusiast friend and I were talking (he's never been to the park either) and he said how great it would be to have a terrain woodie at BGW. Is there room for one and isn't there a rule that limits or prohibits trees being removed there(hence Verbolten following BBW route so much)?

Thanks..

^It may be more of a noise issue than a space or tree issue. BGW has to deal with Kingsmill, which is a rather expensive neighborhood not far from the park. Woodies make more noise than steel coasters, as a rule.

I don't rule out the possibility of the park getting a woodie someday, though.

I completely agree with everyone about this being a really really strange choice for the park to add, but if it makes anyone feel any better.. Superman at SFDK is a -really- fun ride.

Agreed on all counts. I can't complain about the ride itself, because it's actually fantastic, but it's just interesting that Busch would choose to install it.

Probably gonna try to go to the part on Oct 4. Looking for more info on Quick Queue, it's a little pricey, but as a coaster dork the more rides I can get without waiting the better . How does the system work at BGW? How long do lines usually get during HOS?

Thanks!

On a Saturday during HOS, Quick Queue is a necessity. I don't want to comment on how it works because it may have changed since I was last there two years ago.

There isn't as much need for it during the day but during Howl-O-Scream queues are a nightmare (Zing!).

The Quick Queue entrances aren't always next to the maze's main entrance - Bitten and Cut Throat Cove had their two entrances close and Deadline's is a split off from the main queue, but the Quick Queue entrance for 13: Your Number's Up is actually next to the exit. It's very weird. I don't remember where Root of All Evil's was.

There isn't as much need for it during the day but during Howl-O-Scream queues are a nightmare (Zing!).

The Quick Queue entrances aren't always next to the maze's main entrance - Bitten and Cut Throat Cove had their two entrances close and Deadline's is a split off from the main queue, but the Quick Queue entrance for 13: Your Number's Up is actually next to the exit. It's very weird. I don't remember where Root of All Evil's was.

Well... I have been convinced, guess I'll have to get quick queue.

Edited by Keetz

^It may be more of a noise issue than a space or tree issue. BGW has to deal with Kingsmill, which is a rather expensive neighborhood not far from the park. Woodies make more noise than steel coasters, as a rule.

I don't rule out the possibility of the park getting a woodie someday, though.

Nail on the head! Because of the terrain at BGW, the sound carries really well. It's not during the day that noise is the issue, but BGW starts cycling its coasters very early in the morning (sometimes as early as 4-5am) as part of their maintenance inspections. It would be an issue for anyone in the neighboring homes which are actually fairly close to the park, but add to the fact that it's a wealthy community with lots of political influence, and that Busch does everything in their power to be a good neighbor, and I'm afraid a good woody starts to be a lot less likely. It's a shame though, a low-to-the-ground that dips out over the rhine river wooden coaster would be a GREAT addition to the park. I'm still an optimist for one! A lot of the things that were previously ruled out by the community, like a drop tower, have found their way into the park in recent years, so who knows!

Any opinions on best order to hit the major attractions in the morning?

I was thinking quick jolt to get 1-2 laps on AC, then Verbolten, Griffon, then Alpengeist?

Thanks

The park opens in stages so if you are there before/at opening, you can ride Loch Ness Monster before anything else opens, Griffin at 10 a few times, Alpengeist a few times, Verbolten at 10:45 and you've missed Apollo's Chariot opening but there still won't be any line.

Any opinions on best order to hit the major attractions in the morning?

I was thinking quick jolt to get 1-2 laps on AC, then Verbolten, Griffon, then Alpengeist?

Thanks

You might as well do Alpie before Griffon, if you're going in that order. What I would do is at rope drop go to LNM, then if it's open sky ride to griffon, then work around the park from there. Verbolten's line may look long, but it moves quickly. If you ride griffon later in the day, there will be a line. Any flats/ Mach tower lines should be manageable, if you're going during the day.

I always hit up Loch Ness Monster first before it builds up a line and then head to Griffon once they open up France. After that, I head over to Oktoberfest and ride Verbolten. I usually don't worry about Alpengeist until later because it usually doesn't build up much of a line. Of course, I've never been during the haunt, so I could be wrong.