Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 443 - A Night at Busch Gardens' Christmas Celebration

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Halloween Harvest, or “Howl-o-Scream Lite.” Busch Gardens is sticking with its “reservations only/limited attendance” events with Halloween Harvest during October. This is sort of “Howl-o-Scream

Before this thread derails off course into a COVID discussion, I’ll just keep it simple:  everyone should follow their state and local guidelines.  This isn’t something up for debate on TPR. Now

A Night at Busch Gardens' Christmas Celebration Busch Gardens Williamsburg is pushing on with its limited attendance/reservations-only events schedule with an abridged version of their extremely

Posted Images

So, has there been any word on when BGW will announce their 2015 coaster? We all know what it is, so they might as well give us the details now.

What the hell? This is because they put up fake severed heads?! Those things have been sold at Halloween stores since before I can remember and NOW they're inappropriate?! People these days are freaking stupid.

And that they've seen at Howl-o-Scream for years now. This is even dumber than all the nonsense about King's Dominion's "Miner's Revenge" Haunt maze last year being "offensive" because of real coal-mine disasters.

So, has there been any word on when BGW will announce their 2015 coaster? We all know what it is, so they might as well give us the details now.

I asked at the passholder appreciation event. The response was, "New attraction? What new attraction?"

Edited by cfc
Not so breaking news, but somebody complained in the VA Gazette that the severed head props the park placed everywhere are offensive due to recent events, so the park promptly removed them. Such a shame.

I am all for appropriate sensitivity, and I realize that some things can be uninentionally offensive (with or without calling for apology or changes), but this is a ridiculous overreach. It just smacks of obnoxious political correctness.

What's next? BGW will not be adding Christmas lights to this year's event because someone is offended by it and does not like the term 'Merry Christmas'? Has our society become so sensitive to certain issues that we have to live in a world wondering who we offend next? That sure put the park and staff in an uncomfortable position. Some of these props have been used for years and just "now" someone finds them offensive?...go figure.

Will the same paper head up to KD and check-out the same Halloween event and post similar photos for another story?

I really felt the article had some sort of hidden agenda due to the photos posted by the newspaper to generate more sales. I know this may be out of line in saying that due to recent events, but wouldn't you think if the editor-in-charge would have not run the story (or the photos) in the paper unless they were trying to generate some controversy?

What's next? BGW will not be adding Christmas lights to this year's event because someone is offended by it and does not like the term 'Merry Christmas'? Has our society become so sensitive to certain issues that we have to live in a world wondering who we offend next? That sure put the park and staff in an uncomfortable position. Some of these props have been used for years and just "now" someone finds them offensive?...go figure.

Will the same paper head up to KD and check-out the same Halloween event and post similar photos for another story?

I really felt the article had some sort of hidden agenda due to the photos posted by the newspaper to generate more sales. I know this may be out of line in saying that due to recent events, but wouldn't you think if the editor-in-charge would have not run the story (or the photos) in the paper unless they were trying to generate some controversy?

They are also removing all the Jack the Ripper references out of the victims that were killed by him.

Seriously, Busch Gardens should've just ignored the guy. This didn't make headlines until they acknowledged his claims, right? Or am I wrong.

^ & ^^ The Virginia Gazette is Williamsburg's local paper, and they usually don't bother with much news outside of town or James City and York counties; so, I doubt they'll be heading to Kings Dominion to cover their Halloween event. As for Christmas Town, I doubt there will any changes there (people are really into Christmas in the South).

From what I can glean, most of the negative comments regarding HOS's décor were in the Gazette's "Last Word" section, which is a notorious bastion of griping and, well, stupidity. For what it's worth, this "controversy" also covers both sides of the political spectrum. The park is also being slammed by a number of people on their Facebook page about their decision; frankly, I think folks need to just let this go.

Political correctness will eventually spell the end of Halloween events at parks. People have a need to act like they're offended by things so they can complain about it and make themselves feel important as if they're championing some great cause.

I have a hard time believing anyone is actually offended by this. The overuse of the word "offended" has completely cheapened it's definition. Now people think "offensive" means "I could see how someone somewhere might not like this even though it doesn't bother me or 99.99999% of the population".

Again, to the people saying you're offended by this... I don't believe you. And even if you are offended that doesn't mean the park (or anyone else) should care. Get over it... if the park does something that legitimately turns enough people away then they won't do it anymore, but them cowering to these idiots is setting a bad precedent (just like Kings Dominion did last year) and later on they'll regret not taking a stand now.

Anyone read Screanscape?

(9/19/14) While the park hasn’t made the news public, BGWInsider reports that it did announce the details about the new 2015 coaster to park employees on Thursday. The final name is Tempesto and it will be the coaster we already heard about, standing 157 feet tall, 60 mph and with 3 inversions. Look for the official public announcement to come any day now.

Is this BS?

Anyone read Screanscape?
(9/19/14) While the park hasn’t made the news public, BGWInsider reports that it did announce the details about the new 2015 coaster to park employees on Thursday. The final name is Tempesto and it will be the coaster we already heard about, standing 157 feet tall, 60 mph and with 3 inversions. Look for the official public announcement to come any day now.

Is this BS?

I was just going to ask this, if this was a clone wouldn't it only have 1 inversion?

^Interesting.

I was at the park last night, which was pretty busy (probably due to the "bring a friend for free" night), and they've made some improvements in Howl-o-Scream since last weekend. For example, the "Cursed" guy at the entrance now has a cage he can burst out of to chase people around, the scare actors in Deadline and Root of All Evil were doing a better job, and they've added some "electric fence" lighting and sound effects to Wendigo Woods. The bridge by DarKastle is, indeed, headless, although the creepy mood lighting is still pretty effective.

Tempesto will be a clone of Superman and Sky Scream. The only difference is that they're using the 3-car Throttle-style trains instead of the 2-car ones. It will not have 3 inversions as noted in the site plans, just the slow roll and the non-inverting loop.

Anyone read Screanscape?

Is this BS?

It's BS. Busch typically doesn't tell 99% of their employees anything they don't tell the GP. The people actually in the know are the same ones who have been in the know all along. In fact, I have a friend who works there currently and was told they'll announce it on twitter and facebook and are encouraging team members to look there for "exciting updates" to what they are calling the "Fest Italia Development Project."

Never-mind the fact that we've all seen pictures of the track online at this point, they're keeping it close to the chest. Also, I really hope that's not the real name. It probably is, but it's a terrible name :/

With this work near Apollos Chariot, is there anything still going on in the former Drachen Fire site? When I was there in July they had some heavy machinery working in that area.

Not sure what they were doing there, but I don't think it's related to the new ride.

But who can say for sure?

^ the leak was smoke and mirrors! It's a giga that stretches all the way from festa to DF and back!

No but seriously though, I'd love to see something back on the DF site. I really think the roughness did more to close DF than the location! It'd be a great spot for a Maverick like coaster!

Look at me, the 2015 coaster isn't even up yet and I'm talking about the next one!

They're putting footers in so that's cool and the name is confirmed!

How is the name confirmed? It's not on their site, their facebook, or their twitter. It very well might be the name (I still hope not), but I wouldn't consider it confirmed until their website/press release say so.