TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 449 - Food & Wine Festival report

^You probably did. I went by lost and found to claim my old smart phone, which disappeared under "mysterious circumstances" after a ride on Apollo's Chariot a few weeks back. I was amazed they'd found it, but I had already upgraded to a better phone as a result.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Halloween Harvest, or “Howl-o-Scream Lite.” Busch Gardens is sticking with its “reservations only/limited attendance” events with Halloween Harvest during October. This is sort of “Howl-o-Scream

Before this thread derails off course into a COVID discussion, I’ll just keep it simple:  everyone should follow their state and local guidelines.  This isn’t something up for debate on TPR. Now

I was at the park today and caught the last test train of the day on the way to Apollo's Chariot.   Here's a short video and some stills.  The outward banked airtime hill looks amazing! Also in c

Posted Images

I do wonder how much longer DaVinci's Cradle can last... The last 3 years I went to the park, it's been down every single time I went. I've been told it's been neutered as well, and they have a rule that they stop the ride if anyone puts their hands up on it. Sad state for what used to be the best flat they had.

I hope to post my trip report this week after visiting last Friday. Thanks to Chuck for recommending some local eating establishments while I was in town for the week.

A few quick notes/observations:

BSW has got to be one of the best parks in the country to place flat rides/attractions that kids can ride while the adults take their turn on the thrill rides. I was floored by this. They are doing it right.

Europe in the Air made me want to puke. I have NEVER gotten that motion sick on an attraction but that did it.

The coaster collection is awesome.

I agree with Chuck. The sausage sampler at Festhaus is worth every penny.

I loved this park!

^Europe in the Air is just plain bad. They were better off with Corkscrew Hill or Questor--but it's still better than King Arthur's Challenge (which consisted of out-of-focus 3D digital animation).

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is only a rumor and should be considered as such with no validity, but thoughts on this?

http://bgwfansite.com/2014/04/new-for-2015/

Personally I think a S:UF clone would be an awful move for the park. The capacity is not fit for the park, and in my opinion the ride would just look plain ugly. I think the park would be best off with something along the lines of Full-Throttle if it had nice use of terrain and theming (in Festa). But that's just me.

Interesting rumor...I'd be surprised, to say the least.

As far as the capacity goes, I wonder if Busch would shoot for the sliding station (i.e. Mr. Freeze). I remember them mentioning that the only reason S:UF doesn't have one is because Six Flags opted against it for cost reasons, so I wouldn't be surprised if Busch went for it if they were to buy up one of these.

I know this is only a rumor and should be considered as such with no validity, but thoughts on this?

Personally I think a S:UF clone would be an awful move for the park. The capacity is not fit for the park, and in my opinion the ride would just look plain ugly. I think the park would be best off with something along the lines of YOLOcoaster if it had nice use of terrain and theming (in Festa). But that's just me.

BAD IEDA!! For a S:UF clone.

^And in an area that already has Apollo. The area certainly needs a revitalisation, and I hope that whatever this 156-foot attraction is, coaster or not, starts that. I'd love to see the back half of Festa Italia linked to the Oktoberfest bridge and to have the entire loop unified to become one well-themed Italy, but I doubt they'll go that route.

It would also be weird to see Busch Gardens Williamsburg add a Clone of something. Outside of Grover the last major clone added was Wild Maus. I always thought of them as a park that adds high capacity attractions. Busch Gardens gets MUCH higher attendance than SFDK so I see it as nightmare capacity.

I had a bit of spare time on my hands and decided to put together a crowd calendar for BGW (and KD) since a lot of people tend to ask about that. The crowd levels are based on personal experience and park operating hours. The crowds themselves are subject to change based on weather, special events, concerts, and other situations. Minor special events (NASA Day, Breast Cancer Awareness Day, etc) weren't included. I did add some events like KD's birthday bash, but that's about it. Major events like HOS/Haunt, Christmas Town, Bloom Festival, and Food and Wine are included.

The KD crowd levels won't be as accurate as the BGW once since I haven't visited the park in a while. Anyone with more accurate info can message me.

I did include a quick color guide.

- Green - Low crowds. Park is mostly deserted. Perfect for park visiting

- Yellow - Moderate crowds. Some lines but mostly reasonable

- Orange - Average crowds. Typical summer crowds here. Crowds will be hit-miss

- Red - Heavy crowds. Park is busy. If you don't stay away, plan ahead or vouch for a line cutting pass.

- Black - Blackout crowds. Park is slammed. Expect long lines everywhere. Vouch for a line cutting pass or enter at your own risk.

The calendar on Google Drive. You can switch between both parks by clicking the tab at the bottom of the spreadsheet.

I will edit the calendar as the season progresses.

CrowdCalendarImg.thumb.jpg.989d5caad3b97b51137e336d76bae1f9.jpg

They talk about the color scheme being black red and yellow. Interesting. I'm still pro RMC inverting woodie. That solves the noise thing. But I was under the impression that the new ride was gonna be a starflyer flat ride, but this sounds cool. I'd like it. But it is kinda weird that the park would put in a clone. But overall I'm just happy that they're getting a new coaster! 2015 is gonna be a good year for Virginia! A new coaster at both KD and BGW! Really lookin forward to this!

Does anyone think it'd make sense for BGW to connect to Water Country USA like so?:

They could even have a tram or monorail that follows the same route, shuttling guests between the parks.

Personally I think a S:UF clone would be an awful move for the park. The capacity is not fit for the park, and in my opinion the ride would just look plain ugly. I think the park would be best off with something along the lines of YOLOcoaster if it had nice use of terrain and theming (in Festa). But that's just me.

BAD IEDA!! For a S:UF clone.

The park just got a launched coaster........ not impossible, I just find it unlikely.

Does anyone think it'd make sense for BGW to connect to Water Country USA like so?:

They could even have a tram or monorail that follows the same route, shuttling guests between the parks.

Hmm--I'm thinking there are too many right-of-way issues for this to work. Such a tram would have to cross I-64, and I'm not sure how much property the park actually owns out there.

^I agree that it would be nice; I have "hopped" between the two parks with friends before (usually with a lunch stop in between visits).

Hmm--I'm thinking there are too many right-of-way issues for this to work. Such a tram would have to cross I-64, and I'm not sure how much property the park actually owns out there.

The tram (or monorail) would be situated in the median of the road, possibly elevated (especially if it was a monorail).

^Very interesting. They definitely want to build something big, and the parameters do suggest something along the lines of Premier's latest installations.

Still a bit vague. Time will tell.

^And in an area that already has Apollo. The area certainly needs a revitalisation, and I hope that whatever this 156-foot attraction is, coaster or not, starts that. I'd love to see the back half of Festa Italia linked to the Oktoberfest bridge and to have the entire loop unified to become one well-themed Italy, but I doubt they'll go that route.

As I recall, the park has mentioned a desire to do something like this in previous years--but who knows?

Edited by cfc

Just thought this was interesting. You have the yellow lines to depict the height of the attraction. What if the reason they did the whole box formation was because that is also the width of the attraction? If it were a skyscreamer or something along that line, then why would they make that box shape? Couldn't they just draw a line? And it is higher at the top, which would makes sense if it were a superman clone. However I'm still kinda skeptical about them putting in a clone. Correct me if I'm wrong, but BGW has never put in an exact clone of a ride. Griffon had an extra inversion than sheikra, so its not a clone. But anyway, the other reason that makes me think that its different is a line in there that says something along the line of "if we chose to change parts of the design." If its a clone, would they change part of it? Is there a need to? If its not a clone, then it makes more sense. Thats also why I think it isn't a flat ride, since they talk about changing the design and stuff like that. I know its going out on a limb, but it makes sense if you think about it!

1281382392_Screenshot2014-04-18at12_00_57PM.thumb.png.5df31a5dc84adc73366167afce2ee014.png