TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 456: Information about Christmas Town 2021!

As far as I know, Alpengeist's only trim brake is at the very top, right after the lift chain ends.

That being said, the mid-course brake run really slows the train down for the rest of the circuit.

Yeah, the only "trim" the ride has is at the top of the lift. It isn't much, and the first half is still awesome. I know that they turned the MCBR up at some point, so that's probably what you're talking about. I never rode it before that, but the second half always does feel a lot slower and less intense to me than the first.

My family went to BGW a number of times between 1996-2000 (it was one of my dads favorite vacation spots), and rode Alpengeist countless times... Alpengeist is now noticeably post-MCBR, which I guess is stating the obvious, but it seems like few people here got to experience Alpengeist at its best. The first few years it was open, the brakes on the MCBR were totally off, the drop off the straight away into the shack gave excellent airtime and the last two inversions were taken with enough speed to be pretty disorienting. As they are now with the brakes on hard the ending feels like the ride is going through the motions to get you back home. The night rides on Alpengeist in the pitch black I got in 97 and 98 are still among the best ride experiences I've ever had after significantly more coastering. Man that thing flew.

The trim at the top of the lift I've found over the years is rarely applied and the first half of the ride feels almost the same as it did the day it opened.

Make no mistake, when Alpengeist first opened it was a monster. I rode Alpengeist and Montu within weeks of each other in 99 and Montu just did not compare. Now, it would be much more of a contest. YMMV

Alpengeist is still a solid ride even with the MCBR cranked up high. Unfortunately, I've never experienced the coaster without the MCBR turned on, but the zero G roll and corkscrew are a lot of fun. Even with Apollo running incredibly well for the past few weeks and having been spoiled a bit by Montu in May, Alpengeist is still one of my favorites.

That is what I figured it was the MCBR that was the changed and not additional trims. It must have been a pretty sick second half since the first half is awesome. Still may be my favorite inverted although the Dragons & Montu are right up there as well..

Awesome! I'm really excited about this. By the yellow car finally being ready the ride is complete.

To be honest after i heard about the horrendous accident i was quite worried that "little yellow" might never see the light of day again. But she's out.

Would love to get out there again and take a spin in it.

I think I must have missed something ... whappen to the yellow train?

Was it the minor incident with a crane during pull-through testing I vaguely remember?

I've only been to the park once - in August 2009 for the last rides on Big Bad Wolf. Loved the park, can't wait to get back. Mmmm... and that big chilled slice of chocolate cake in the Festhaus! THAT is something I want again, hands down.

We only got one ride on Loch Ness once and my first thought was "Demon runs so much better!" I mean, a bit rougher, but fast and much more effortless. It seemed Nessie was missing some needed track grease or something - the curves had a rubbery squeal to them I never remember hearing on an Arrow coaster (and trust me, I've heard just about every odd and wonderful noise an Arrow coaster can make).

Another thing that surprised me about the park is how much I loved their B&M coasters - especially Apollo with it's wooded ravine voyage and moss/tarp covered marshy crossing area. B&Ms usually feel very same-y to me, but there was something special at BGW. Same with Tampa... must be all the theme-ing and stuff.

It was a freak, massive, death accident involving a crane, a dear, the yellow train, a garden gnome, and the evil Intamin cable.

Doh! The dreaded Nantimi cable again. Wait a second - is there one in that park? The sky ride? Did it break and fly through the air, slicing everything in it's path!? I always heard that would happen if a sky ride cable broke...

It was a freak, massive, death accident involving a crane, a dear, the yellow train, a garden gnome, and the evil Intamin cable.

Doh! The dreaded Nantimi cable again. Wait a second - is there one in that park? The sky ride? Did it break and fly through the air, slicing everything in it's path!? I always heard that would happen if a sky ride cable broke...

Lol...

I really don't know what happened, I was just being silly.

There was an accident with the yellow train during testing that was blown way out of proportion by another Web site. So, it's led to a few "yellow train of doom" jokes.