Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 449 - Food & Wine Festival report

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Halloween Harvest, or “Howl-o-Scream Lite.” Busch Gardens is sticking with its “reservations only/limited attendance” events with Halloween Harvest during October. This is sort of “Howl-o-Scream

^^Hmm--I think your assumption is correct.  @Mike240SX I'm certainly not expecting "full operations" before Memorial Day Weekend, which isn't unusual (for example, they usually don' t start operating

I was at the park today and caught the last test train of the day on the way to Apollo's Chariot.   Here's a short video and some stills.  The outward banked airtime hill looks amazing! Also in c

Posted Images

First of all, I said Deer, as in more than one, and wire. Not a cable.

Honestly where do you get this.

Just let it go, kid. Just let it go.

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic with that.

What is the "plural word" of deer?

I literally just got back home from enjoying a Kings Dominion/Busch Gardens trip and got three rides on Verbolten in the two days I was at BGW, I would have had four if it didn't have a big breakdown yeasterday afternoon (and I was next in line for a front seat ride as well). Overall it's a very good ride, a worthy replacement for Big Bad Wolf despite the little hiccups it's been having.

However I'd like to take a wrecking ball to Mach Tower, which was down both days I was there.

The only thing you missed out on for Mach Tower is the view from up top. Aside from that, there's no arm room and the seats don't shake like they're supposed to, and half of my rides were even music-less - at that point it's just a generic drop tower, and Drop Zone is certainly better.

^I agree that Drop Zone is a better ride. The best feature of Mach Tower is the rotation on the way up (esp. during Christmas Town). As for the "vibrating seat" gimmick, I think it's better without it (makes the drop more of a surprise).

No idea what's been wrong with Mach Tower this week. It was running OK last weekend.

Edited by cfc

I realize that Intamin is basically the king of the drop towers (and KD's Drop Tower is quite a potent ride) but I still would have liked to have tried something from a different manufacturer, even if it was for the view alone. Griffon made up for it with its stunning view as you crest the lift hill.

The funny thing is, last year we had a 30 minute delay when waiting for Apollo because there were deer inside the fenced in area. At least that's what they said over the intercom.

There are deer all over that park.

Nah, deer can't get to Mach Tower. Commando squirrels, on the other hand . . .

Edited by cfc

Went over to the park for the passholder Verbolten ERT this morning. They were, at least, working on Mach Tower, but I don't know if they ever got it going. The carriage would be at the top of the tower for quite a few minutes before being lowered down, and I think a technician was up there, too.

^That's the same thing that happened on my visit last Wednesday. Maintenance was working on Mach Tower for most of the day, even raising and lowering the cabin at different times.

Chuck, since you stated in the other thread that Alpengeist was your last coaster, do you think it's developed a nasty rattle in the trains? I don't remember Alpie having that much rattle even though my last visit prior to this one was nine years ago.

When i rode alpengeist last year it was smooth as glass..

Which Alpengeist are you riding?

I love the ride, but it definitely has a very noticeable rattle that can cause a couple headaches.

Chuck, since you stated in the other thread that Alpengeist was your last coaster, do you think it's developed a nasty rattle in the trains? I don't remember Alpie having that much rattle even though my last visit prior to this one was nine years ago.

I thought it was running quite well today--but even on its worst days I never thought Alpengeist was particularly rough.

^That's where it used to nail me from time to time. But that element hasn't been a problem for a few years now.

^Dominator's corkscrews are usually the only "problem" area for me--the same as with Alpengeist's cobra roll. But both have been running smoothly this season.

My last ride on Alpengeist was nearly 10 years ago, but I remember the turn into the MCBR knocking my head around a bit. I was really disappointed by that ride...still good, but out of the inverts I've ridden (B:TR, Montu, Talon, Raptor, Great Bear, Alpengeist), I'd put it slightly above Great Bear but way behind the others.

I rode Alpengeist opening year when it was glass smooth and they weren't trimming at the mid course and it was awesome. Then, over the years, I heard the reputation that it wasn't good or that it hurt or whatever. When I rode it in 2010, I thought it was still a really good ride. Don't really understand the tepid response people give to it. It may not be Montu or Fire Dragon, but I love how fast it is and the scenery.