TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 456: Information about Christmas Town 2021!

, I hope? I also don't really understand the complaints about the present lack of themed footers when the rest of this thing is already themed out the wazoo. I mean, each train is a completely different car! With real tires! God, enthusiasts can be so jaded sometimes.

Whiners will find anything to whine about. If the park had sprung for a full on bridge to be built rather than a façade, if the footers were minimal and beautifully sculpted, even if the forest were as thick and lush as could be, year round, the same people would find some obscure minutia to groan about. They don't consider real things like budgets, time constraints, and technical limits... If it's not as perfect as the fantasy they've built in their mind it's garbage. Given that this is Busch Gardens, and given what they have to work with i'd say they're going above and beyond!

It's not just coaster enthusiasts... there are whiners in every community.

Yea the drop is not steep at all it just has that appearance from the bridge, here is the best shot I took of the angle of decent. and It looks like 50 degrees tops.

JEFF

In defense, its not always the steepness itself but how fast you get to that steepness. The trains look like decent length and the drop looks like it gets to maximum angle rather quickly. Should provide a nice solid punch of airtime. But nothing real sustained since the radius isnt very round.

I think itll thrill a thrillseeker and families alike.

I am very curious to how the whole covered bridge scene will play out. Is it a MCBR? There are definitely brakes or Lims in there. but will it be trimmed to a crawl then come out or stop for a scene then launch. or just get an extra boost when it goes in there. I know if I was on a rickety old bridge like that I would floor it at the first sound of wood cracking.

JEFF

I think it'll be interesting to see how the blocking on this ride plays out. Busch Gardens, at least when I've been there, is great about sending trains without stacking. I may be wrong, but it looks like there can be a train in the station and two behind it. That means two would be on the course. But, slow unload/load would mean the others stop somewhere, which might kill the pacing/story. Right?

If I were to guess where the blocks are -

Station, Station, Brakes in the building, Drop Section in the building, Covered Bridge, Final Brakes, Transfer Table.

Seven blocks for five trains. If they time it correctly, they could run all five trains at once with no stops in the circuit apart from the drop section.

Has anyone ever been to the park during the week of Spring Break? I decided to skip pass member preview day because the crowds had been getting pretty large over the past couple of years. I also have to work the next couple of weekends - so I was wondering about Spring Break, like a mid-week visit.

No I would not, unless the launches have a brake system of their own (it doesn't look like they do). If the train can come to a full and complete stop on a launch section, then yes, they could also count as blocks.

No I would not, unless the launches have a brake system of their own (it doesn't look like they do). If the train can come to a full and complete stop on a launch section, then yes, they could also count as blocks.

As i understand it LSMs function as both launch and brake depending on how/if power is supplied to the motors. If my understanding is correct these could function as blocks if required.

As i understand it LSMs function as both launch and brake depending on how/if power is supplied to the motors. If my understanding is correct these could function as blocks if required.

That's is correct, Pun_Machine. Linear Synchronous Motors function as magnets when the power not sent to them. Here is a video of Maverick, which also uses LSM, testing where a roll back was simulated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhDxuKuhL-s

Magnetic Brakes, however, cannot actually stop a train, just decelerate it. This is evident on drop towers, or magnetic brake runs on an incline. The train/car will slow, but required another device to stop it completely. That is why magnetic brakes are partnered with another form of braking (usually a fiction brake, hydraulic plunger, or tire drive) to stop the train.

I haven't been back to BGW since the Big Bad Wolf closed with finishing college and all. It will be great to visit once again to ride Verbolten.

Magnetic Brakes, however, cannot actually stop a train, just decelerate it. This is evident on drop towers, or magnetic brake runs on an incline. The train/car will slow, but required another device to stop it completely. That is why magnetic brakes are partnered with another form of braking (usually a fiction brake, hydraulic plunger, or tire drive) to stop the train.

Makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

^They said during the Hard Hat Tour earlier this month that they had been testing it successfully. I was at the park for a short time last weekend, and there were water-filled dummies on some of the trains.