TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 466: New Slide for Water Country in 2023

Busch Gardens never disappoints and I love how they pay attention to all the little details

(I hope this is hydroseeding and not spray-painted concrete ) It wouldn't hurt to plant some proper trees in this area though:

04_141.jpg

A river full of cubes, why not theme them to rocks ?

02_179.jpg

Floating tunnel entrance; why not extend it to the ground, with a bit of a hill around it:

21_416.jpg

Edited by BDG

^And they would've anchored the coaster on what, exactly--old tree stumps? Build a ride, you need some concrete somewhere. And, by the way, that green stuff you're seeing is not "painted concrete." It's most likely dye they use in hydroseeding, which helps them keep track of where they've seeded (grass, flowers, etc.) and where they haven't.

Edited by cfc

Concrete footers can have any shape. Some parks sculpt the actual footer, others cover them up.

Kumali, Flamingoland:

That tunnel entrance can be surrounded with something like this:

205771_204851816206266_186246334733481_699543_3946325_n.jpg

Edited by BDG

^They're reusing the footprint of the Big Bad Wolf--that's why those footers are there. I'm hoping for some more BBW references, too (in addition to the license plate on the green train).

As for the theming, I like what I'm seeing so far, but won't pass final judgment until it's done.

Edited by cfc

Why should they unnecessarily waste that much extra money on something no one is going to notice anyway? That will be the fastest part of the ride, will it not? I highly doubt someone is going to come off the ride extremely disappointed because the footers at the bottom of the drop weren't shaped like rocks...let alone even notice them in the first place.

Why shouldn't they ?

Concrete is cheap and it's a detail that goes a long way, especially for what will be one of the most photographed sections of the ride.

(And before anyone mentions it... Yes, I know the water level is currently lower than what it eventually will be.)

Why shouldn't they ?

Concrete is cheap and it's a detail that goes a long way, especially for what will be one of the most photographed sections of the ride.

Using your logic every park should just build their rides à la Scream. Just dump them on an empty parking lot, don't even waste time or money erasing the lines.

Who is going to notice anyway ?

(And before anyone mentions it... Yes, I know the water level is currently lower than what it eventually will be.)

No, I never said no theming whatsoever should be used. They themed the important areas that guests will notice, and left the unneeded areas unthemed, achieving a perfect balance. Keep in mind that Busch still has to follow a budget, and isn't Disney or Universal with basically unlimited money that can build $100+ million attractions/expansions at will. Perhaps more extensive theming was on the table at one point in the development stages, but they axed some of it for a better ride experience. Would you rather have more theming, but a shorter and duller ride (i.e. Terminator/Apocalypse at SFMM) or a better ride experience and a bit less theming/detailing. I don't know about you, but I vote the latter. And even then, who says they still don't plan on adding some smaller little details? It's not like this is opening tomorrow.

Using your logic, Universal should have added millions upon millions of unnecessary dollars to the Harry Potter expansion by theming the entire Forbidden Journey ride building, instead of just the front facade, right? Even though you can barely see the building, except in a select few areas of Jurassic Park.

Why shouldn't they ?

And please note that this is the most expensive and most complex ride Busch Gardens Williamsburg has built to date, at least according to the park. Reusing the footers was prudent and cost-effective. There's always a balance between "show" and "budget," even at parks like Universal and Disney.

BDG, you've stated your point--no need to beat it into the ground.

Edited by cfc

Why shouldn't they ?

And please note that this is the most expensive and most complex ride Busch Gardens Williamsburg has built to date, at least according to the park. Reusing the footers was prudent and cost-effective. There's always a balance between "show" and "budget," even at parks like Universal and Disney.

BDG, you've stated your point--no need to beat it into the ground.

Not only that, but cranes, cherry pickers, etc. are not small machines; I'd venture a guess to say that they're still in need of larger maintenance access to the track than once the ride is complete. Also, there are still 2 months to go before opening.

^ That was established 2 pages ago.

Anyways, he does have his points. With the track and supports being dark, those huge cube footers do stand out way too much as of now. Also, the tunnel does look very silly as of now, especially since you'll be able to see it on the ride and off of the ride in the spring, Howl-O-Scream, and ChristmasTown when the leaves are off of the trees. Hopefully, they put a lot of evergreen trees in there to cover that since it looks like a floating random stone wall. Like others have said, they have 2 months to go... so there is still plenty of time.

I can't believe this thing looks like a roller coaster. You'd think Busch could do something about that, no?

, I hope? I also don't really understand the complaints about the present lack of themed footers when the rest of this thing is already themed out the wazoo. I mean, each train is a completely different car! With real tires! God, enthusiasts can be so jaded sometimes.

I also don't really understand the complaints about the present lack of themed footers when the rest of this thing is already themed out the wazoo. I mean, each train is a completely different car! With real tires! God, enthusiasts can be so jaded sometimes.

Ding-ding-ding-ding-ding!

And, yes, I think we can rest assured that Scott was being sarcastic.