TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

^ The tower hasn't gone vertical yet? There were some construction shots posted on the 21st of Feb that looked like it was having the base piece put into place. I wonder if they ran into a delay.

~ J.P.

^ The tower hasn't gone vertical yet? There were some construction shots posted on the 21st of Feb that looked like it was having the base piece put into place. I wonder if they ran into a delay.

~ J.P.

Some of the decoration has been put up from what I've seen, but vertical construction hasn't. BGW's still got two months to put up the tower and test it before the scheduled opening.

^None of those rides launch from a start in a vertical position, or in a vertical position at all. The closest thing out there is Wicked at Lagoon, which, if I'm not mistaken, launches for a short distance horizontally and then continues to launch vertically, but not from a start like this rumor suggests.

Wicked launches from a horizontal track...

Volcano IIRC has two launches. One outside the station and a vertical launch inside the volcano going into the first inversion on top of the volcano.

I'm always surprised to see people talking about Wicked, even amongst enthusiasts.

Wife and I will be at BGW over spring break. Looking at 2 or 3 days in the park, depending on weather and other such factors. Thinking the best combination of price & flexibility is to get 2 Fun Cards and pay for parking.

We'll also be hitting KD for a day or two, depending on the weather, and also Colonial Williamsburg, if that influences anything. I looked at the Bounce Ticket and a few others, but it didn't look like it included the Governor's Mansion tour, so I think we'll be paying for Colonial Williamsburg and any other historical sites separately if we decide to go there.

Does that sound like a good plan? Any reason to get the 1-year pass over the Fun Card?

^The BGW Fun Card expires on Labor Day. If you plan on returning later this year in the fall or within the full year that your pass is good for then it would be useless. You also get free parking with an annual pass and park discounts on food and merchandise.

I was browsing the BGW website and ran across the Dining page.

1) Dining Certificates

Here's the rundown:

Silver: entree & drink, $11.99

Gold: entree, side & drink, $13.49

Platinum: entree, 2 sides & drink, $14.79

Do they give free water at the restaurants? Is this the equivalent of getting a free drink? Or is it better than that?

2) They've got a Souvenir Drink Cup Certificate listed for $5.59. How much are souvenir cups normally?

3) They've also got something listed called the Busch Gardens Williamsburg Meal Deal Package for $26.99:

Save up to 38% by purchasing a BGW Meal Deal package online. Take the hassle out of the day and get your Lunch, Dinner, and Souvenir drink cup all in one delicious package.

Does anyone know what that includes? Is it essentially 2 Silver Dining Certificates and 1 Souvenir Drink Cup?

^The BGW Fun Card expires on Labor Day. If you plan on returning later this year in the fall or within the full year that your pass is good for then it would be useless. You also get free parking with an annual pass and park discounts on food and merchandise.

We won't be back again this year after this trip. If I recall correctly, they said that parking is going to be $13 this year, so that's $26 for 2 days, $39 for 3. So I suppose if we end up going for 3 days, it'll be almost free to get the 1-year pass.

I am going to skip it this year. I have seen the crowds get larger and larger every year on pass member preview day. I am going to go next weekend on the 26th. I had some friends go last year on the weekend it actually opened to the public, and they said it wasn't crowded at all.

If I wasn't going to a Carolina Hurricanes game with some friends on the 26th, I might have thought to do the same, although I havn't really felt like the crowds were THAT bad for passholder day. I went for a few hours last year and enjoyed my time just fine. Never felt like lines were bad. Both times I have gone have been with good weather, and I am hoping for a three-peat. Although I have not checked the forcast.

Partly cloudy and 62....Not bad at all!!!!

-Gary

^The lines for the rides on Passholder Day aren't really too bad. It's the other operations of the park that struggle because of understaffing this time of year. They just don't have enough employees to handle the volume of customers. The lines for food can get miserable, especially during lunch and dinner hours.

^Yeah, I'll be there in the early part of the morning. I'll probably be gone by 12 or 1, we're throwing a going away party for my brother that evening so I can't stay too long.

Ha--well, between you, Gary, and me--we almost have our ill-fated Northeast TPR caravan at BG.

I was there for two hours today and whew! it was packed! But, the park staff did a marvelous job of maintaining swift operations. I got a ride each on Apollo, Griffon and Loch Ness Monster. Each line was around 20 to 30 mins long. I was proud of what BG managed to put together for today's event.

Now onto the new Oktoberfest. I say new because the area has changed significantly. New colors. New shelters and buildings. There are many changes to the way the walkways work. The area next to the Der Marketplace walk-through has been opened up as a pathway. Oktoberfest feels more like a single are than the two separate areas that it use to feel like. I will say the area is still incomplete. Mach Tower is still only 6-inches off the ground and the Beir garden is built but incomplete.

Of note, I saw two men "touring" the BBW area from the entrance to the Festhaus Park. Speculate away.

\

Hey everyone!

BGW was pretty busy yesterday from what I heard from the guests (both overflow lots were filled). I wasn’t able to explore the rest of the park outside of Oktoberfest because I was working, but I did see some pretty heavy crowds at the rides I ran all day.

Mach Tower is confirmed to open Memorial Day weekend!

If you guys spot Dan (Arizona) working rides, stop by and say hey! I'm working next Saturday so I'm looking forward to seeing some local TPR members.