TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

Protip: sometimes, the old, old entrance/staff entrance off of Route 60 will have someone staffed there, and if you have a Platinum Pass or are willing to pay for preferred parking in England, it's a safe bet. I never had to try it last year, so I don't know if that closing was a trickle-down from ownership change.

I wouldn't recommend doing this. The old entrance is meant for staff and tour buses (they also use it for media days), and I doubt the park would look kindly on others trying to use it.

Really? I've seen cars parked in there as late as Howl-O-Scream last year, so I know BGW is still using that lot for preferred parking/overflow (at least up until last season).

Can't remember if there were any cars for Christmas Town, but the every time I went by BGW for that, the main lot was barely full.

^I take it that you're referring to the England lot? Yes, they do use it for preferred parking, but you still enter via the main entrance. The attendant by the France lot (also preferred parking) will direct to the England lot if that is where you're supposed to go. (You also leave via the old entrance from the England lot.)

^Yes, all you need is your pass.

Now if the weather is nice that day be sure to get there EARLY! The parking lot entrance can get gridlocked all the way up the ramp to I-64.

On pass member preview day or just some Saturdays? That's some "special" if that's the case ;( ... but then I think Opening Sunday was bad enough in 2009 that I didn't go back until August ...

I'm talking about Pass Member Preview Day.

The event has gotten really popular with passholders over the last few years and if the weather is nice they will flock to the park in droves. A couple years ago when I went i arrived at the I-64 exit at 10 a.m. and waited almost an hour just to park as the line of traffic was sequestered all the way up and down the ramp.

Protip: sometimes, the old, old entrance/staff entrance off of Route 60 will have someone staffed there, and if you have a Platinum Pass or are willing to pay for preferred parking in England, it's a safe bet. I never had to try it last year, so I don't know if that closing was a trickle-down from ownership change.

I wouldn't recommend doing this. The old entrance is meant for staff and tour buses (they also use it for media days), and I doubt the park would look kindly on others trying to use it.

There are two times I have used it. I used it for the Jack Hanna breakfast (which is a special event) in 2008 and once in 2009 when I was at the McDonalds eating breakfast and remembered the entrance. It doesn't seem like it's eve a difficult transaction: no money ever changed hands. A showing of the right pass and a green England hanger is given. Now, I'm not saying that everyone is going to use it now that they know, or that everyone should use it, but in my prior, but limited experience in doing this, there have been no quarrels. As I also said, I do not know that this was/is an allowable practice now.

If you choose to disagree with me, ok. Feel free to never try it. I'm not saying I have some overblown sense of entitlement that says I can go in through that entrance, but there was a will and a way, and it worked rather swimmingly. For the record, on the hundreds of other times I visited the park, I used the main entrance, because it usually is not backed up across the bridge when I arrive, I just get sucked into the line through traffic flow, or prior lack of knowledge of the old entrance still being in use.

**On another note, I would appreciate if I can be spared public shaming for a disagreement.**

**On another note, I would appreciate if I can be spared public shaming for a disagreement.**

I'm sorry, but the cat-o-nine-tails is out of the bag, and the rules require a flogging.

I've no doubt that the park makes allowances for using the old entrance from time to time (hence, why they had passes handy for preferred parking), but I would not recommend doing this on a regular basis. But you have made me more curious, so I think I might ask the park about it.

• 2 weeks later...

*WARNING* *RUMOR* * Prepare to take with a grain of salt*

A "source" who I know to be apart of the rides department at BGW has come out and said spoken about what the supposed "themed bridge" will do...

This is hard to explain without giving anything away directly. Basically, from what we were told, the entire train will move backwards onto a platform that will rotate you 90 degrees, shoot you up, stop you, flip you on your stomache, hold you for 5 seconds, then let you drop and continue the ride.

I am... perplexed...

Busch Gardens Williamsburg has sent us a press release with lots of photos and video regarding their two-year expansion plans and progress on Mach Tower and Vanish Point.

Busch Gardens’ popular Oktoberfest village is getting a new look this spring. The project is part of a two-year rebuild of the area. “Oktoberfest is the heart of Busch Gardens,” said Park President Carl Lum. “It serves as a hub of activity where friends and family can come together to enjoy rides, shows, delicious brats and games.”

Busch Gardens’ engineering team has spent the winter months building new facilities, moving existing rides and preparing for the installation of Mäch Tower, the park’s newest and tallest thrill attraction.

“Oktoberfest hasn’t changed significantly in thirty years,” said Larry Giles, vice president of design and engineering. “We’re taking what guests already love about Oktoberfest and building on it for a 21st-century audience.” When Oktoberfest opens this spring, guests will be treated to a Bavarian-style pretzel bakery, additional game areas and performance spaces. The park’s culinary team has been working to perfect new pretzel recipes.

“We’ve been conducting pretzel tastings during our off season and are now in the process of finalizing the menu, presentation and condiments,” said Jeff Thomas, vice president of culinary operations. The new shop, called Beste Brezeln und Bier, serves traditional hand-twisted pretzels along with pretzel-inspired creations like cinnamon-and-sugar pretzel nuggets and pretzel-wrapped hotdogs. Guests can purchase a cold beverage and sneak a peek through the shop windows as bakers hand roll and twist the pretzel creations.

A foot-stomping, thigh-slapping, strolling “oompah” band complements the culinary offerings, and a new show currently in development takes advantage of a maypole being constructed in the flower garden in front of Das Festhaus.

“We want Oktoberfest to remain as authentic as possible, so we made sure that the new additions not only enhance the festive atmosphere, but would bring another level of authenticity,” said Scott Gasparich, vice president of entertainment who leads the park’s thematic, event and show production teams. Colorful ribbons, festive greenery and blue-and-white checkerboard patterns are all part of the Oktoberfest theme that will be seen throughout the village. “Oktoberfest features a harmonious blend of tradition and modern heritage,” Gasparich said. “We’re putting our own twist on Germany’s traditional Oktoberfest celebration.”

Attentive guests will notice many village design elements feature colors from the German flag. The red, yellow and black have a traditional German feel while a colored maypole and festive banners depict Bavaria’s rich cultural heritage and add a finishing touch to the village ambiance.

Many new features required reconfiguring of the existing Oktoberfest space. To make room for Mäch Tower, the park’s Der Katapult is being relocated to New France. The scrambler-style ride is by far the most traveled attraction at the 100-acre theme park, having been moved four times since Busch Gardens opened in 1975. It is being renamed Le Catapult to fit its new French-inspired location.

Das Wirbelwindchen, affectionately known by park aficionados as the “kiddie swings,” will be relocated near the Roto Baron attraction, closer to Das Festhaus.

“We know guests love these KIDsiderate rides so we decided to relocate them to other areas to accommodate all the changes to Oktoberfest,” Giles said.

Guests will get their chance to start experiencing Busch Gardens’ rejuvenated Oktoberfest village when the park opens March 26. Mäch Tower is scheduled to open in late spring. Until then, fans can visit http://www.facebook.com/BuschGardens for the latest news and construction updates.

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=110218_Bignews_video_whak[/coastertube]

WO0215RK01_013H.jpg.6cf20e3d080cef084eaa12454dffe149.jpg

Work is underway to complete the base of Mäch Tower℠, Busch Gardens’ newest and tallest ride. Once complete, the thrill ride will rise higher than any other attraction at the park, taking riders nearly 240 feet above Oktoberfest then dropping them at breathtaking speed. Mäch Tower, situated in the park’s Oktoberfest village, will open in late spring.

BO0125RK02_005H.jpg.8f7ba01044017faad11ea8365c9de5e8.jpg

This spring, guests will be welcomed to the updated Oktoberfest village with the aroma of freshly baked pretzels and the fun atmosphere of a new beer garden. The ground work for the pretzel shop and beer garden have been laid and the park’s culinary team is diligently working on the perfect pretzel recipe.

BO0208RK02_012H.jpg.f5cd82b4ec04a5308b9df8f422f6a837.jpg

Beste Brezeln und Bier, Oktoberfest’s new Bavarian-style pretzel bakery, begins to take shape. Once complete, the shop will serve hand-made pretzels and an assortment of specialty beers.

BO0208RK02_016H.jpg.679bfd228a982353a847ffd3640542b8.jpg

BO0208RK02_023H.jpg.42a9035d6f45902858c4dc7489debb24.jpg

caption: A construction worker guides a beam into place while constructing Beste Brezeln und Bier, Oktoberfest’s new Bavarian-style pretzel bakery.

BO0208RK02_025H.jpg.754852e3b1f720c428ff056a21cef679.jpg

BO0215RK02_009H.jpg.75d5b30a2ed41ee4da11b9b517ad9584.jpg

A crane guides the base of Mäch Tower℠ into position during the construction phase of Busch Gardens’ newest thrill ride scheduled to open in late spring. Mäch Tower℠ , along with a Bavarian-style pretzel bakery, games area and performance spaces will be part of the fresh new look of the park’s new Oktoberfest village.

BO0215RK02_015H.jpg.d3fa4dc36e77ee7cca217baa9e5b7f83.jpg

A construction worker guides the base of Mäch Tower℠ into place during the construction phase of Busch Gardens’ newest thrill ride. Upon completion, 30 riders will be lifted nearly 240 feet in the air then dropped at breathtaking speed. Mäch Tower℠ opens late spring.

BO0215RK02_016H.jpg.10b0ea8ad4124a85088560c9b09cfcd5.jpg

A construction worker inspects the base of Mäch Tower℠ during the construction phase of Busch Gardens’ newest thrill ride. Upon completion, 30 riders will be lifted nearly 240 feet in the air then dropped at breathtaking speed. Mäch Tower℠ opens late spring.

BO0215RK02_023H.jpg.d358068ec272eba1f40579755be919d4.jpg

Crews guide the base of Mäch Tower℠ into place during the construction phase of Busch Gardens’ newest thrill ride.

1283878229_HighresOktoberfest.jpg.bffda37208a1668280c22fe7c3f4253f.jpg

After more than 30 years, Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Va., is updating the look and atmosphere of the iconic Oktoberfest area in 2011. Restaurants, games and performance areas that follow a traditional German Oktoberfest celebration await visitors next year. Guests can enjoy fresh-baked pretzels and a new beer garden set amid canopies of colored maypoles and festive banners that depict the rich heritage of Bavaria.

943731602_MachTowerKeyVisual.jpg.05de1e3878c608014d6481d9eb32df28.jpg

As guests enter the Oktoberfest section of Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Va. next spring, they will see the massive spire known as Mäch Tower. The tallest ride in the park, Mäch Tower lifts up to 30 riders nearly 240 feet above Oktoberfest. After rotating at the top of the tower and getting a few seconds to take in the view, riders drop at breath-taking speed. State-of-the-art special effects including enhanced audio and other surprises will elevate Mäch Tower to new heights in ride design and engineering. This psychological thrill ride opens in spring of 2011.

MachTower_Logo_4C.jpg.a1cb4a29b2dacb898f4ed99d3ba020b5.jpg

As guests enter the Oktoberfest section of Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Va. next spring, they will see the massive spire known as Mäch Tower. The tallest ride in the park, Mäch Tower lifts up to 30 riders nearly 240 feet above Oktoberfest. After rotating at the top of the tower and getting a few seconds to take in the view, riders drop at breath-taking speed. State-of-the-art special effects including enhanced audio and other surprises will elevate Mäch Tower to new heights in ride design and engineering. This psychological thrill ride opens in spring of 2011.

Vanish_Point.jpg.e5fd88bc5a9873f73ec24edeca99055f.jpg

Guests are in for the slide of their lives at epic new drop slide, Vanish Point at Water Country USA in Williamsburg, Va. Inspired by the point on a wave where water and gravity form a perfect partnership, this summit supplies two wicked-wet ways to drop out of sight. The crest of this 75-foot tower challenges guests with two wave paths. They can step into a skybox and take a plunge when the floor drops out beneath their feet, or they can get horizontal on a 300-foot speed slide that drops them straight down as soon as they enter. Either way, it’s pure liquid adrenaline.

VanishPoint6.jpg.b25b6087a2d6d0fabb3f0025ff40c23e.jpg

WO0125RK01_011H.jpg.2ee2246138340d7e3467737bb2c66c74.jpg

Construction teams are hard at work preparing for the addition of Vanish Point℠, Water Country USA’s epic new 75-foot slide tower featuring four new thrilling slides. Vanish Point will be dropping into Water Country USA this spring.

WO0208RK01_007H.jpg.9a7a123f750f65c76a759f093996a55b.jpg

The ground work has been laid for Water County USA’s newest ride, Vanish Point℠. The new slide will drop daring riders nearly 300 feet reaching speeds up to nearly 40 miles per hour.

WO0208RK01_010H.jpg.6023c243c5f639ca5029654d81eea5f3.jpg

WO0215RK01_001H.jpg.36d6debeed287c486bc03b78571d6807.jpg

Construction crews work on the perimeter walls of Vanish Point℠, Water Country USA’s newest speed slide, scheduled to open this spring. Vanish Point℠ will feature a 75-foot-tall, four-slide tower with two different, thrilling ways to ride

WO0215RK01_010H.jpg.39f05d11b081e0e9c970729b8063699b.jpg

WO0215RK01_013H.jpg.6e79b5bf8eef02d0b64d4ee154f8e678.jpg

I'm still wondering what kind of surprises they could put on a drop tower?

Ejector seats?

I've been wondering about that myself. I recall something about "lighting effects" being mentioned earlier.

It's about time they put something in near the Meltdown slide. That view got old really fast. But, why do they have to make Vanish Point face the same way as Meltdown? Before we know it, all the slides in the park will be in a straight line.

I just want to throw this out there for you guys to bash and deny immediately.

Apparently at some of the park's orientations, the GM Carl Lum and the instructor conducting the orientations have said the new coaster will be 300ft tall and the 95ft height waver is wrong. People over at BGWFans seem set on this being true.

I just want to throw this out there for you guys to bash and deny immediately.

Apparently at some of the park's orientations, the GM Carl Lum and the instructor conducting the orientations have said the new coaster will be 300ft tall and the 95ft height waver is wrong. People over at BGWFans seem set on this being true.

I have major doubts.

I vividly remeber my first ride on Drachen Fire--and the multiple bruises, throbbing headache, and upset stomach that came with it. It got a little better when they reprofiled it, but I never cared for the thing.

That being said, I know people who remember it fondly.