TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

Loch Ness is really mild. I mean considering there's little to no head banging on an average day, and considerably less headbanging than other Arrows on a bad day, I'd say it's not that far a jump. Plus the only real element of thrill are the two inversions, and there are other coasters out there that have a lower height restriction that still have inversions. For example, Superdooperlooper at Hershey only has a minimum height requirement of 42".

I don't understand why every thinks Nessie is such an intense ride.

Vigil, Busch has recently built similar coasters at both of their parks within a year or two of eachother, Alpengeist & Montu, SheiKra and Griffon, and now Cheetah Hunt and likely this project. I assume it's a better decision business wise to purchase two coasters from the same manufacturer. I'm so excited to see BBW (which I thought was a classic but just ok...) be replaced with something like an Intamin launched coaster, can't wait for both this and Cheetah Hunt.

• 2 weeks later...

I am SO excited to see what BGW cooks up for this new coaster. While I was hoping they would do something to top Griffon height-wise, it seems like they're going to do something smaller and more intense.

Personally, the name Verbolten is the only one that sticks out to me, and the whole idea of it being themed to the "Forbidden Forest" gets me so pumped! I just wish that more of the ride was outside and not inside the "themed building", seeing as most of Busch's coasters in the past are all outside. Anyways, it'll sure be fun with all of the launches and the finale diving down to the Rhine river just like BBW did.

Can't wait until they reveal the details later this year

Has there been anything about the progress on Mach Tower? From what I have gathered, there hasn't been much of anything said about it. Interesting too considering that it is a fairly big ride to be adding to the park

-Gary

I'm wondering about this as well. It's been very secretive as of late.

I was at BGW two weeks ago for a job fair and saw no traces of construction except for the scrambler sitting in the employee lot.

I came back a few days later to get some paperwork put together and nothing changed.

Driving by BGW, the area seems pretty quiet... No cranes or traces of construction except for some of the visual upgrades Oktoberfest is getting (and those can only be seen inside the park).

- Future Mach Tower (and surrounding rides) operator

Guess there could be more Oktoberfest Expansion happening in 2013 (Screamscape):

2013 - Oktoberfest Revamp: Phase 3 - Rumor - (1/18/11) So far many of the old redevelopment rumors concerning a multi-phase build up / renovation have been coming true, though instead of building a new “country” they seem focused on rebuilding the park’s existing Oktoberfest section. We’ll see the first phase open in 2011 with Mach Tower, followed by the new coaster in 2012. It seems there is a third phase set for 2013 and according to the latest rumors it may be focused on revamping the Festhaus. I’ve no idea if anything other than the Festhaus will be touched upon for the 2013 season yet, or if they are ready to finally expand back into the former Drachen Fire location or not. Stay tuned!

The Fun Card is kind of dethroned by EZ Pay .. payments spread monthly (no interest), free parking and passholder benefits, good all year and a whole year (or 2) whenever you buy it (wraps around), can be extended monthly (for example you can do 13 months and get in a week before KD opens 2 years in a row on one "year" pass). I probably wouldn't have a BG pass right now, but it's such an EZ temptation .

Busch Gardens Williamsburg has sent us a press release about their expansion efforts...

Three years of research, strategic planning and guest feedback culminates this spring with the debut of new rides at Busch Gardens and Water Country USA. Busch Gardens’ Mäch Tower℠ and Water Country USA’s Vanish Point℠ were announced Sept. 18 in front of 2,000 park fans inside Busch Gardens’ Das Festhaus. Fans also heard details of a completely rejuvenated Oktoberfest area that will feature a new restaurant, beer garden and performance spaces designed to complement Mäch Tower.

Contractors broke ground on both attractions last fall, and work is on schedule for completion this spring. Today, the sounds of heavy equipment emanate from inside the Williamsburg theme parks as jackhammers and bulldozers make way for the two new thrill rides.

Long before construction crews began working, Busch Gardens’ officials were hard at work researching how to enhance the guest experience. The strategic planning began more than three years ago for Mäch Tower and Vanish Point.

The decision to build one attraction over another comes down to consumer demand and what fits appropriately with the parks’ overall themes.

“When we develop a new attraction plan we look at what we’ve done in the past, what rides resonate with theme park goers today and what would make an appropriate addition to the parks’ future,” said Larry Giles, vice president of design and engineering at Busch Gardens and Water Country USA. “After taking several inspirational, fact-finding trips to theme parks around the world, and gauging the interests of our guests, we decided 2011 was a perfect time to introduce new thrill rides at Busch Gardens and Water Country USA, and to rejuvenate Oktoberfest village.”

Once the project was selected, the team put together pictorials with a proposed full-color scheme and design. They also produced videos simulating the ride experience. The proposal was then presented to focus groups comprised of people who have visited the parks, and people who have never experienced Busch Gardens and Water Country USA.

Focus groups provide a test for an idea that can be used to make adjustments based on the group’s reaction. Phrases like, “I can’t wait,” and, “My kids will love it,” were typical reactions about the possibility of a Mäch Tower and a Vanish Point-like ride.

“Focus group attendees typically reference their kid’s enjoyment when evaluating rides and experiences,” Giles said. “That’s how we know we are on the right track.”

Guests will get their chance to experience Mäch Tower and Vanish Point this spring. Until then, fans can visit www.facebook.com/BuschGardens for the latest news and construction updates for Mäch Tower. Water Country USA fans can visit www.facebook.com/WaterCountryUSA for Vanish Point information.

Upon reading the discussion thread to Busch Gardens Williamsburg, I noticed this little statement from netdvn:

I was at BGW two weeks ago for a job fair and saw no traces of construction except for the scrambler sitting in the employee lot.

Is Busch Gardens Willamsburg taking out the scrambler ride (called "Da Katapult) so the Mach Tower can take it's place? Will the Scrambler be moved to a new area of the park, or is it gone for good?

"Hey, I'm not gone for good here, so lay your head on me!