TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

two weeks in a row, BGW has closed midday on saturday due to being at capacity, that's excellent news for them. Reports are the line to get in the parking lot throughout the day stretched, well, forever. Clearly they have a tremendous demand for their haunt event. Kudos to them for providing a quality product.

Edited by chadster

two weeks in a row, BGW has closed midday on saturday due to being at capacity, that's excellent news for them. Reports are the line to get in the parking lot throughout the day stretched, well, forever. Clearly they have a tremendous demand for their haunt event. Kudos to them for providing a quality product.

This isn't news.

This has been going on every Saturday during Howl-O-Scream for several years now.

Ride Apollo's Chariot around 4 p.m. and sit on the left side of the train and look down at the parking lot entrance while you're going up the lift. You'll see a gridlock of cars sequestered endlessly all the way up the entrance ramp.

^Halloween is the second most profitable holiday after Christmas.

Besides, just because the economy is bad doesn't necessarily mean people are gonna stay home and save money. BGW also has an advantage being situated in a recession-proof metropolitan area with all the military and government jobs nearby and with DC being a few hours away.

Saturdays during HOS are always crazy. Quick Queue Unlimited is a must.

FIXED!

Was at the park today and tonight...

Lines were crazy... especially for the major rides... Griffon had a 2 hour line at one point. Only Apollo managed to consistently eat the line...

HOS was top notch though I do believe that some newness is in order for next year

Just got back from a long day at HOS. Breakdown is as followed:

Howl-O-Scream was awesome. While the park was not as decorated as SFA, it had some pretty neat decorations. Anyways, this is the breakdown of what we did today:

FrankenRock: 3/5. It was a fun show, but the audio quality was lacking a bit. They need to turn up the mics, or soften the insturments, or something. It was good, just not great.

Monster Stomp Revamped: 5/5. Good, funny, overall fun. Very good show.

Onto the mazes:

Catacombs: 5/5. Did this twice, both times were VERY frightening. It's a great maze with some awesome scares. To add to this is the fact it is beyond impossible to see the proper pathway in this maze. This was hands down the second best maze of the day and a must do at HOS. The only complaint is, it wasn't very long .

Bitten: 5/5. HAND DOWN THE BEST MAZE! This maze was simply horrifying. I was screaming around every corner. The constant screams, loud noises, and even the more subtle scares who aren't, are still terrfying. This maze was long, scary, and really good. The best maze at HOS, but also the most crowded.

Revenge of Pompeii: 4/5. To start with the bad, the scares are few and far between. However, the scares are REALLY good. All the actors blend right in with the surrondings, and this provided for some awesome scares! It was just about the right length, and overall a pretty good maze.

Hunted: 3/5. This maze was fairly weak. There were a few good scares, but overall this might be one that's skippable. Honestly it's just lacking something. It's short, it's not as scary as the other three indoor mazes, and it's just in my opinion, the let down of this years event.

Harvest Hollow: 2/5. You have to exit Hunted through this area. One or two decent scares, but overall it's just a longer walk back to the main path.

Cursed: 1/5. This was terrible. No good scares. Oh wait, my bad. I was pretty horrifyed at thought of blinding myself in thouse god awful strobe lights. Not even worth the time.

^With mazes, timing is everything. I went through Cursed with a friend last night, and there were witches and goblins jumping out everywhere. Of course, it helps if your companion is easily spooked and walks through with her hands in front of her face all the way.

That was the only maze we did. She was one and done.

Edited by cfc

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I was a bridesmaid in Virginia last weekend and managed to make it out to BGW for the first time. This required a bit of subterfuge; I had to sneak into town and skip some wedding-related events for my scant 3 hours of Busch-tastic fun. (Try explaining to the average bride that you blew off her her cocktail party for INTERLOCKING LOOPS, OMFG.)

It was a shame to have to do a credit run in such a gorgeous park, but it was worth it. It took a little longer than I expected due to the lay of the land; I'm so used to Cedar Fair parks that I was expecting all the coasters to be starkly visible amidst acres of asphalt and trash cans. Nope, we had to hunt for them! I loved the European themes, the lush landscaping, even the corny music. Best of all, the lines on Friday morning were almost nonexistent. (Weirdly enough, I think we waited longest for Alpengeist-- 3 or 4 trains?) Lots of little kids enjoying the Halloween theming, very few big kids riding coasters.

On to the coasters: Alpengeist was our first. I realize it's supposed to be one of the best B&M inverts, the biggest, blah blah, but I have to say, I didn't find it very thrilling. Fun, yes. Nice and long. Good theming. Even the weather (cold and sunny) was perfect for a "runaway ski lift." After all these years, I think I still prefer the intensity of a little Batman clone to a big record-breaking invert. My husband Dan (not an enthusiast) loved Alpengeist, but he's a big Silver Bullet fan and Alpengeist is like Silver Bullet x 5. Thumbs up overall.

Next we went to Griffon, my first dive machine. I know I'm like 3 years late to the party, but I had no idea these rides were so great! I think I was expecting a forceless gimmick. The front row scared the CRAP out of me. Like, I was more frightened than I've been on a coaster in years. The hangtime was insane-- for some reason my OTSR was super loose. We immediately went back for a back row ride, which I assumed would be underwhelming by comparison. Nope-- huge airtime on both drops! I was really impressed. And I liked the SKLOOSH effect, even though I had to convince my water-phobic husband that he wasn't going to get drenched.

Next, we hiked over and up to Loch Ness Monster. I LOVE THIS COASTER. Now, I know some of you young whippersnappers don't get it, but for those of us who grew up in the '70s and '80s, the forceful, rattly whoosh of an Arrow *defines* a steel coaster. A lot of Arrows suck these days-- Loch Ness Monster is not one of them. I felt like I was a kid again, riding the coolest, scariest new "upside-down" coaster at the park. I'm glad I didn't know about that spooky-ass tunnel in advance; it seemed to go on forever and it had that awesome/terrible tunnel-y smell. This was also one of the most beautiful and beautifully-situated coasters I've ridden. Well done, Ron Toomer.

Finally, we finished out the credit run by enjoying our "voyage to the sun on the wings of Apollo's Chariot." I really like B&M hypers, so I was excited for this one. Waited about 10 minutes for the front, which was totally worth it. Super fun, great drop, great layout, plenty of air. I can see why this coaster was such a big deal when it opened. Dan opined that Goliath at SFOG is better-- it made me very happy/proud to hear my spouse comparing the merits of B&M hypers. (I would agree, but c'mon, Apollo's Chariot is way older!) Thumbs up again.

In short, I really enjoyed every coaster. I appreciate parks like BGW and Dollywood that might not have the biggest coaster collection but make up for it in quality. And I love seeing a classic ride like Loch Ness looking good and running well. If I ever return to BGW, I'm going to try and spend a full afternoon there instead of running around yelling "Where are we? What the hell is 'New France'?"

^^^If you have only three hours to spend at BGW, an October Friday is the time to go. A wee bit 'o' irony: Alpengeist, the runaway chairlift coaster, cannot run during a snowstorm. (I know this from experience.)

If I ever return to BGW, I'm going to try and spend a full afternoon there instead of running around yelling "Where are we? What the hell is 'New France'?"

Remember to come back in 2012 for the new "multi-launch coaster"!

I agree with your BGW coaster reviews except that I would classify Alpengeist as having gotten too rough in the past few years for my reason for not enjoying it as much.

Glad you enjoyed your small taste of BGW though!

^^^ A wee bit 'o' irony: Alpengeist, the runaway chairlift coaster, cannot run during a snowstorm. (I know this from experience.)

Lame! I was thinking that would be cool!

Oh well, I bet Apollo's Chariot can't run if it bursts into flames.

In short, I really enjoyed every coaster. I appreciate parks like BGW and Dollywood that might not have the biggest coaster collection but make up for it in quality. And I love seeing a classic ride like Loch Ness looking good and running well. If I ever return to BGW, I'm going to try and spend a full afternoon there instead of running around yelling "Where are we? What the hell is 'New France'?"

My thoughts exactly. BGW really is a fantastic "GP" park in the sense that while some of the coasters are not going to appeal to the hard-core enthusiast who want the "biggest, baddest, best, blah, blah, blah", they have a fantastic collection of rides for the general thrill seekers, and the park is beautiful as well!

Next time you go, be sure to hit up rides like Roman Rapids, Pompeii, and DarKastle. Really does round out their overall ride collection very well.

--Robb

^ I have to totally agree with you Robb, this is a "GP" park as you said it. I never thought of it that way. This is a park I really enjoy myself as I don't go to parks just for the thrills, but for the overall experience. I find their entire collection of rides and attractions to be well above par for the course, and they put on a pretty good Halloween event as well.

Ms. Cody - I thoroughly enjoyed your synopsis of the coasters, and I am very glad you had a good time. I am sure you would enjoy an entire afternoon at this park whenever you have the chance, and I would also like to hear what you have to say about it when that time comes!

I love reading reports of my de facto homepark. I know that BGW has a great reputation around the coaster community in general, but to read and see someone's reaction to visiting is really great. I share most of your opinions except Alpengeist, which I really am not sure whether I'm qualified to have an elaborate opinion on due to lack of experience. It was my first invert so it was pretty awesome for me, regardless. I'm glad you had a great time, and like redfoot12 said, be sure to come back in 2012 for the Intamin launchie taking The Big Bad Wolf's spot -- "Little Pig Hunt".

So has anybody heard anything regarding construction? Have they done anything for the new stuff in 2011 yet or are they going to wait until after Christmas Town to start. On a completely different note, I hope the new coaster is a wingwalker (chances of that happening slim to none, but still.)

So has anybody heard anything regarding construction? Have they done anything for the new stuff in 2011 yet or are they going to wait until after Christmas Town to start. On a completely different note, I hope the new coaster is a wingwalker (chances of that happening slim to none, but still.)

I'd bet there's not a bad chance of that happening - if Intamin sold the Busch parks a "two-ride package" like B&M did with Alpengeist/Montu and Sheikra/Griffon, we could see an Intamin running through Wolfie's old territory. IMO, a Wingrider would be so much better as a terrain coaster than a flyer.