TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

I might be making a first trip to BGE next Weds Sept 2. Park hours are 10-7.

How busy is the park likely to be? Average line time for the top attractions? If we make it, it won't be for the full day. Would you invest in Quik Queue? Priorities are the coasters and DarKastle.

Thanks for the help! We might not survive to pass this way again... Oops wrong park.

Your best bet is to just wait and see what the lines will be like before purchasing a Quick Queue. I doubt on a Wednesday that it will be packed, but it is the last week of operating during the week (Schools start the week after) so everyone might be getting in their last trips.

If you are there at opening or at the end of the day, either way you should run into short lines.

I just went on Monday(8/25) and the lines weren't bad at all. We did get the Quick Queue pass but I really don't think we needed it. The longest line was about maybe 10-15 minutes for Griffon.

Griffon was Amazing(Front Row....WOW)......The only ride that I was disappointed on was Alpengeist which wasn't that bad but was a little rough for some reason to me.

This was my first time at the park and had a great time!!!

How busy is the park likely to be? Average line time for the top attractions? If we make it, it won't be for the full day. Would you invest in Quik Queue? Priorities are the coasters and DarKastle.

Thanks for the help! We might not survive to pass this way again... Oops wrong park.

I'll be there that day, as well. In all the times I've been there, I've never had to wait in any kind of line longer than half an hour. They have enough stuff to do there besides rides that provide enough to do so the crowd gets spread out throughout the day.

I just went on Monday(8/25) and the lines weren't bad at all. We did get the Quick Queue pass but I really don't think we needed it. The longest line was about maybe 10-15 minutes for Griffon.

Griffon was Amazing(Front Row....WOW)......The only ride that I was disappointed on was Alpengeist which wasn't that bad but was a little rough for some reason to me.

This was my first time at the park and had a great time!!!

I, too, was there on Monday 8/25 (Photo Report to come soon) and I agree that the park was not busy (line wise) at all!!... The longest line we experienced was Le Scoot (log flume) which was 20-25 minutes... otherwise everything was 15 minutes or less for us...

Apollos Chariot - Walk on front row when the park opened... then 15 minutes later on in the day...

Big Bad Wolf - 10 minutes at roughly noon... (it opened at 11:30a)

Griffon - 10-15 minutes at about 2pm

Alpengeist - 15 minutes MAYBE... 3pm ish

Loch Ness Monster - 5 minutes... 4pm ish

Surprisingly reasonable wait times...

5 min for the "Swings", Walk on for the Bumper Cars as well as Dark Castle (which we were pleasantly surprised by...)... (We rode those rides while waiting for Wolf to open...)

And I couldn't agree more that Alpengeist was just plain brutal!!!... The last time I was at the park, Big Bad Wolf was still relatively new (well, the last new coaster at least), so Alpengeist, Apollos Chariot and Griffon were all new to me this visit... and loving Montu (at BGT), was very excited about Alpengeist... Theme wise, nothing comes close to it... but ride wise, I just found it to be un-comfortable to ride... not rough necessarily to us... just plain forceful!! I felt like I was RIPPED through the inversions, and all the blood in my body rushed to my feet and hands... very strange feeling which I didn't really care for...

Anyways, you shouldn't really worry about the crowds mid-week, especially in September... And you can always opt for Quick Queue after you get there, should you feel you need it, but I highly doubt it!!

I had an AMAZING day on 8/25... and am glad I was able to say good-bye to Big Bad Wolf... She was a touch rough, but that was completely acceptable to me... you will be missed... RIP BBW!!!

Thanks a lot for the info. I really really would love to get to BGE, it looks like a beautiful park. Of course Griffin is one of the main reasons! I just don't know whether we can shoehorn it in. If we do, we'll be coming from DC. How's the drive? Any other tips on a quick visit?

After a couple decades of dreaming, we're coming from the west coast to sample some of the east side's coasters. Mixing in a little culture here and there too. Definites are DC, Gettysburg, Hershey Park, and Great Adventure. Knoebels is close by our route - its a maybe. This is a nice circle route. BGE would be 5 hours out of the way (got to drive there and back). Please convince me its worth losing half a day to the highway!

(I know KD is a bit closer. I'm also aware of SFA - that park is already down to weekend operations, it doesn't fall within our schedule)

We did it in a day trip from the DC area (Rockville, where my brother and his family live)... Its 3 hours each way... and TOTALLY worth it... if anything, I'd scrap Great Adventure and go to Busch Gardens Williamsburg instead, if given the choice... but that is my personal opinion... but its a tough drive being 6 hours in the car, but it was worth it... we left from DC at 6:30am... and we were back to the DC area before 10pm... I'd say if you are able to, then go for it! You won't regret it!... Heck, since you are looking to gain some history too, make two days of it, and check out Williamsburg too...

^^^The park is totally worth the drive time. The atmosphere is unlike any other, and each coaster is incredible in its own sense. DarKastle is a must ride as well.

And with SFA and Kings Dominion, you're really not missing anything. Sure they seem to have some nice looking coasters, but there isn't anything all that incredible, and the atmosphere sucks...

I went today (Saturday) and had a fun time without a Quick Queue. I arrived at around 4:30 in the afternoon though. I'd definitely go out of your way for BG. While I haven't been to as many parks as a lot of people on this site, it still remains one of my top 5 parks. Get your thrills at Great Adventure and enjoy the scenery and atmosphere at BG!

I was also there last night and the longest line I had was 20 minutes but that was for the front row of Big Bad Wolf for my last ride on it.

The others were about 10 minutes which surprised me for a Saturday, even it was the evening.

As the others have said the drive is worth it.

I was just there yesterday and I couldn't have asked for better crowds. Everything was about a 15 minute wait or less, save for Corkscrew Hill. I got my final rides in on BBW and let me tell you, if they do put a flyer in its place it had better be as good if not better than Manta. BBW was my first "big" coaster and I still love it very much. It's ending is one of the best finales on any coaster period. If whatever replaces it isn't up to this standard, I am going to be very unhappy with the park.

RIP-Big Bad Wolf. 25 years of being one of my all time favorite coasters.

I got my last ride in on Friday. Wolf was running great, although the crew was consistently stacking all 3 trains which caused a bit of a line. Luckily Quick Queue fixed that for the most part. I ran into several members of ACE, then I saw guys wearing "National Roller Coaster Museum" shirts in line. Then I was asked by a college student who was interviewing fans for a documentary class if I would like to interview. I took my last ride, and agreed to interview. I thought it was a great way to say good bye.

I also did the behind the scenes coaster tour. When we asked them about Wolf they explained by giving us the usual "It's at the end of its service life blah blah blah."

I was there on Sunday night and waited about 20 minutes for a front-seat ride on BBW. I heard that they had to e-stop Wolfie earlier--seems that the train was coming into the station too quickly (they had it going again in about 45 minutes).

OK, I know that we've all be a bit fixated on the the last days of the Big Bad Wolf--the old boy has but a few left.

But what else is coming up at BGW this month? How about . . .

Howl-o-Scream!

Yes, my personal favorite time of year at Busch Gardens! Unlike the Tampa version, BGW's event isn't an upcharge--it's just part of your regular admission (or season pass). The Williamsburg park appears to be ramping up this year's event a bit with six mazes and seven scarezones--all of which stick to the park's European theming.

Here's this year's maze lineup.

Bitten: Well, it's the late 1800s in Eastern Europe, and you probably know what that means. Yep. Vampires. Lots of 'em. Explore the "Bitten" house yourself, but take plenty of garlic (or at least eat a large Italian dinner over in San Marco).

Catacombs: It seems that BGW has a cemetery. With a tunnel. Which has a "history more terrifying than that of France's revolutions." Hmm . . . I wonder if this is what's going on in the Royal Palace Theatre?

Cavern of Darkness: Sheesh! First, it's catacombs, but now we got a freakin' cavern full of "magical beings" who used to hold "dominion over the Earth"? I don't imagine they'll be very happy to see us. (Just a feeling.)

Cursed: BGW is really into subterranean lairs this year. Now we have a "cracked cave" full of witches and their poor victims (the aforementioned "cursed")--"where the veil of consciousness is at its thinnest." (Sounds like Woodstock or something.)

The Hunted: OK, we're back on the surface now, checking out the wrecked cabin of a family of werewolf hunters in 17th-century Germany. I can't imagine that this will turn out well for us.

Revenge of Pompeii: Back to the depths again, where "ashy corpses wreak havoc" among the ruins of Pompeii.

BGW has been a bit weak with scarezones in years' past. 2008's Beaten Path was one of the best they've ever done. Let's see how serious they are this year.

Harvest Hollow: A stroll through the fields and the woods could cost you your head--watch out for the Axemen!

Mischief & Mayhem: Face a little "Irish magic" between Killearney and France (that is, trolls and goblins).

The Moors: The ghosts of Scottish highlanders haunt their old battleground.

Spellbound: Watch out for witches near Festa Italia!

Werewolves: They're in Rhinefeld. No further explanation necessary.

Strangers Beware: Now here's an interesting idea--the villagers are the "monsters"! Yes, angry peasants have banded together to fight the forces of evil. and if you're a "stranger, you will perish!"

The Watchers: "Spectral figures" will be swooping from the trees in New France.

Monster Stomp will be back as, of course, will Jack. But there's no Starfright Orchestra this year (it was getting a bit long in the tooth); they'll be showing old black-and-white horror flicks on the Italian stage instead. Frankenrock replaces Fiends in the Festhaus this year.

And for you Count von Count fans, look for him in the Sesame Street Forest of Fun.

So, come on down to Williamsburg this Halloween--if you have the guts! Howl-o-Scream runs on Friday, Saturdays, and Sundays from September 25 to November 1.

14.jpg.c48db0e6a0e9cea1e22e8f3713647ef1.jpg

Just a few more weeks to go.

Huge thanks for the advice to dash down from DC to BG. We're thrilled we squeezed it in, such a beautiful park with first rate attractions. DarKastle? Corkscrew Hill? E tickets! We loved Alpengeist, Griffon and Apollo's Chariot. Good ops everywhere, fast dispatches, helpful and cheerful staff, and virtually no lines. BG will be the highlight of the trip. Again, thanks!

I still can't believe they're taking out BBW. It's still running great after all these years and it's such a good ride I can't imagine any replacement would be better. This ride is so unique and works so perfectly with the terrain I just don't know how you can do better than maybe a modern replacement of the same ride (not a flyer, please !)

Newbie to HOS, planning on going October 2nd and 3rd. Have been to BGE probably 4 times over the last 20 years, but all during the summer.

Any advice on:

- Lines/crowds that early in October, for both regular attractions and HOS?

- Are there any HOS things going on at all before 6pm?

Any other tips for a first timer?

Thanks!

^In the past, some mazes have opened in mid-afternoon on Saturdays. Last year's Curse of Pompeii actually offered a "family-friendly" version (no show effects or scareactors) early in the day (not sure about the times). Saturday is the busiest day and night for Howl-o-Scream (especially late in October). Scarezones won't get going until 6:00 pm. The park map should include a schedule of maze openings.

Last year, Quick Queue included not only the major rides (such as Griffon), but also all the HOS mazes. So, if you're at the park on a busy Saturday, you might want to snag a Quick Queue pass.

Question, when I went over the summer to BGE, we didn't experience many waits but as I was queuing for Griffon I was wondering if there was more of that queue because from the entrance of the queue to the station was not to far. I was wondering if maybe there was like another part of the queue that gets used when busier or is that really it?