TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

A protest. That seems a bit much to me. I understand people are pissed about the ride being removed, but a protest. I understand people protesting for, you know, better wages, shorter work days, but to save a roller coaster that is going to be taken out anyway. But, to each his own.

A protest. That seems a bit much to me. I understand people are pissed about the ride being removed, but a protest. I understand people protesting for, you know, better wages, shorter work days, but to save a roller coaster that is going to be taken out anyway. But, to each his own.

A protest on shorter work days definately seems like something I'd protest for! Can't wait until the 24th to finally ride BBW!

"I’m also happy to announce that with all the love and support shown for the Big Bad Wolf, the Behind the Thrills staff is planning to hold a very small “protest” in front of the ride this Thursday when they will broadcast live from the park. They invite everyone to come on out to the park or call in to show their support for Big Bad Wolf. The will then be sending a copy of it all to Busch Gardens

If people who protest want to pay for the rides maintenence im all for it. Like thats going to happen. I hate when people protest businesses for something they have no financial stake in.

I don't think it is a good idea for anyone to protest the removal of Big Bad Wolf, it is old, and will cost a whole lot of cash to refurbish. On top of that, many steel coasters from that era (70s and 80s) will be gone soon as well for the same reason. Rather than wasting time protesting the inevitable, just ride Wolf as many times as you can before it is gone. I also have a problem with the "Behind the Thrills" people, who are protesting IN PARK about the removal of Big Bad Wolf. Think about it, they are paying the same company they are protesting to enter the park!

Sorry, but this is a selling point to not protest the ride removal? Although I personally wouldn't waste my time doing such a thing, I have nothing but respect for the people who love a ride so much they are willing to dedicate their time doing the only thing they feel they can do. I think anyone who says they are against "protesting" the removal of a classic ride is taking the term itself out of context. There are good and bad forms of protest. One way is meant to hurt an individual or group by attempting to convince other people into your beliefs. The other form is simply a statement that has no one-sided opinion or negative motive. I don't think a couple of people standing outside of BBW's entrance with "Save BBW" and "Big Bad Wolf is leaving" signs is an attempt to do any bit of harm to the park at all. If the park doesn't want them there, they will let them know and if they follow the park's wishes (which they prob. would) the event would be nothing more than a sign of gratitude to the park for providing a ride that people feel this deeply about in the first place. If anything good is to come out of this, it's to let people know that other great rides and parks are in danger of the same fate. Raising public awareness about the current state of the industry is important so that more people spend more of their money supporting their favorite park they owe some of the best times of their lives to. All the great traditional parks that have kept their rides restored since the 1900s-1950s era are an excellent example of what must be done to preserve the history of rides from the last 40 years. Like you said, "many steel coasters from the 70s-80s era will soon be gone" and when they are, and you we are all old folks, we will wish that there was an initiative or at least a general consensus among the public to preserve them. Our grandparents cared about restoring their past and so should we.

Now here's an example of BAD park protest:

So, hypocrisy (paying the same business you protest against for tickets) is good protest, and protesting for animal rights (though I don't necessarily agree with what they are saying) is bad protest. I think we can all disagree with that. Screamscape now says this will not be a protest, but more of a celebration of Big Bad Wolf, which I am fine with. All is well now, I really hope no one else decides to protest this. It is at the end of its service life, so celebrating the memories and getting in some last rides is what everyone should do.

"I’m also happy to announce that with all the love and support shown for the Big Bad Wolf, the Behind the Thrills staff is planning to hold a very small “protest” in front of the ride this Thursday when they will broadcast live from the park. They invite everyone to come on out to the park or call in to show their support for Big Bad Wolf. The will then be sending a copy of it all to Busch Gardens

If people who protest want to pay for the rides maintenence im all for it. Like thats going to happen. I hate when people protest businesses for something they have no financial stake in.

The people protesting have more than likely spent money on tickets, passes, merchandise, food, and who knows what else in the park. They may not truly own the ride but if people feel their hard earned money isn't going to go as far on the next visit there, let them protest. No, I wouldn't avoid the park with no BBW. But I would truly feel like I lost about $7 worth admission due to not only the removal of this ride but also the real lack of any sort of replacement. Busch Gardens is making a business decision to save them some money but we also have a business decision to make when going to a park.

I'll miss the ride but I can have full days at Busch Gardens and not ride BBW. I'll definitely try to get one last ride in though.

Also, I think people are shooting down the possibility of a B&M flyer a little too quickly. Granted, I've only been on two of the Superman versions and consider them above average rides. The feedback I'm hearing about Manta is pretty good. If they can pull off the theming and do something the size of Tatsu or bigger then a flyer might be a great addition to the park.

For some reason I don't believe BG will get that great family ride we were talking about earlier in the thread--the Powder Keg, Mine Ride, whatever.

How come some wooden coasters (which AFAIK are harder to maintain

than steel coasters) have been 0perating for over 100 years but this

apparently has reached the end of its service life after only 25 years?

Actually, no wood coasters at the present time have been operating for 100 years. Leap the dips is the only one close, and that was closed for 12 years. But a lot of the old wood coaster have been modified, relocated, or flat out re-built. And really there weren't successful steel coasters until about 50 years ago, so none have really had the chance to be as old as some wooden coaster.

Although haven't some steel coasters had some or all of their track completely replaced? I think Shockwave at SFOT had a large operation a few years ago.

New BBW info from Screamscape:

"Park News - (8/4/09) I’ve got a quick update about the meet at the park Behind the Thrills is planning for this Thursday. Yesterday the word “protest” was used incorrectly, and I would like to clear that item up that this is not in any way a “protest” taking place at the coaster. No sit-ins... no chaining yourself to the trees... nothing like that. We know officials at Busch Gardens real Screamscape and were getting a bit concerned. It is my understanding that the only thing being planned is a simple get together of Big Bad Wolf fans to show support for the ride and to spend some quality time together, getting in some rides together, and sharing memories and reasons that they have such love for the Wolf.

In other news, one of our readers went to the park this weekend, and I’ve got to wonder if Busch is feeling the heat over the removal of the Wolf. On three separate occasions our reader reports that crew members at guest relations, at the Wolf and on the tram driver at night all mentioned to guests that the Wolf was being removed to make way for a new roller coaster. One person said it was to be a two year refurbishment to the area that would end up with a coaster, another crew member actually went to far as to claim that the replacement would be a flyer coaster. Sounds like all the fuss and disapointment over the Wolf being retired may be forcing the park to leak out some information about their future plans a little early."

Well I went today for the Whole day and sad to say that BBW only managed to run for about 3 hours then had a major Breakdown.

It opened at 11:30 (which is the norm) and noticed around 3 that there was a train stuck on the 2nd lift and was there for about 30 min. When we went back over to BBW about an hour later there was a train in the station, one behind it and another in the block before the 2nd lift.

It sucks cause our main objective was to get many rides on BBW today but only Managed 2 due to the Breakdown. Kinda has me worried that if something major did break on the ride that they would just close it for good. I haver never seen it down for so long during they day like that

But on a positive note the crews at all the coasters were VERY efficient and All coasters running Max trains. Griffon & Apollo were running Awesome.

JEFF

New BBW info from Screamscape:

On three separate occasions our reader reports that crew members at guest relations, at the Wolf and on the tram driver at night all mentioned to guests that the Wolf was being removed to make way for a new roller coaster. One person said it was to be a two year refurbishment to the area that would end up with a coaster, another crew member actually went to far as to claim that the replacement would be a flyer coaster. Sounds like all the fuss and disapointment over the Wolf being retired may be forcing the park to leak out some information about their future plans a little early."

Let the rumors begin!

I definitely wouldn't mind a flyer as long as it has a drop towards the river.

^ That kind of irks me. If this is Wolf's last year, why wouldn't they try as hard as they can to keep it up all day everyday, and fix problems as fast as possible. I have heard, the same thing you said from many people. They are really handling this quite bad in my opinion.

A rather extreme statement to make, considering that you don't know what happened or the extent of the technical problem. Maybe they were trying as hard as they could to get it running again as quickly as possible.

^ That kind of irks me. If this is Wolf's last year, why wouldn't they try as hard as they can to keep it up all day everyday, and fix problems as fast as possible. I have heard, the same thing you said from many people. They are really handling this quite bad in my opinion.

Talk about jumping to conclusions... The park can't help if a fatigued and aging ride is having issues breaking down regularly. The ride gets a fault light, mechanics get sent down to figure out whats wrong, and it opens as fast possible. It really is that simple. Its not like they're purposely not re-opening the ride to annoy people. Perhaps to keep the ride running more efficiently they would need to shut down for a week or more to make adjustments or replace parts. Then you would probably complain that the ride was closed for an extended period of time during its last season.

As was said this is all part of the reason the ride is being removed in the first place.

Talk about jumping to conclusions... The park can't help if a fatigued and aging ride is having issues breaking down regularly. The ride gets a fault light, mechanics get sent down to figure out whats wrong, and it opens as fast possible. It really is that simple. Its not like they're purposely not re-opening the ride to annoy people. Perhaps to keep the ride running more efficiently they would need to shut down for a week or more to make adjustments or replace parts. Then you would probably complain that the ride was closed for an extended period of time during its last season.

As was said this is all part of the reason the ride is being removed in the first place.

People going for the specific purpose to ride Big Bad Wolf for the last time (if you remember, that is why Busch made the announcement) deserve to at least be able to ride it once. If the ride is closed all day, and not getting as much attention as possible, there is a problem. That is my two cents, I guess I am just too demanding.

I'm pretty sure people would rather not ride BBW than die.

Alright dying may be a bit too extreme for the circumstances, but if it's broken, it's broken! That's why they're taking it out

That is entirely not my point. I have heard accounts from people, who said no one was even working on fixing it, for 1 whole hour. It is one thing if the coaster is down all day for something major, that cannot be fixed that day, but when no one is even trying to get it back up, It makes me mad.

^How can you see if a ride is being worked on? Just because people aren't visible doesn't mean nothing is happening. To me, in this case Occam's Razor says that when the ride needs to be repaired, the park is repairing it as fast as they can.