TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

SFMM fanboys must be rejoicing as Ninja's competition for best suspended coaster gets picked off one by one. First Eagle's Fortress and whatever the hell happened to it, and now BBW, soon Ninja will rule all!

Vortex at Canada's Wonderland > Ninja

Does anyone know how Six Flags was convinced to save Whizzer ?

I'm glad someone brought that up. While it probably won't happen in this case, it does show that public outcry can sometimes spare a ride from removal.

Whizzer was spared because Shockwave had an accident.

^ No Shockwave did not have an accident, it was more or less the fact that Shockwave was tearing itself apart! It was apparently going too fast through the loops and was destroying the wheels on the cars and the top of the loops. Scream Machine had the same problem until they did something to the loop tops. It was just cheaper to replace shockwave then whizzer and with less public outcry.

Now back on topic. I say go for it, I mean if you don't like it don't vote!

BGW has posted some "FAQs" about the Wolf's upcoming demolition: http://www.buschgardens.com/bgw2/CP/?page=BigBadWolf.

After 25 years traveling at the speed of fright, The Big Bad Wolf will take its last trip through Busch Gardens’ Bavarian village Sept 7. The ride has simply reached the end of its service life. The decision was made to announce the closing now so fans have time to ride the “Wolf” one last time before the ride closes. We are reviewing several design concepts for a new park attraction to replace The Big Bad Wolf, but no announcement is planned at this time.

FAQ

Q1 Why are you removing The Big Bad Wolf?

A1 The Big Bad Wolf has simply reached the end of its service life. The decision was made to announce the closing now so fans have time to ride the “Wolf” one last time before the ride closes.

Q2 Will the public be able to see the demolition process?

A2 Guests will certainly see the results of the work being done at the site. That said, we want guests to enjoy their park experience and will not have crews dismantling the coaster during regular park operating hours. Crews will likely work during the week when the park is closed to dismantle the ride.

Q3 What will you do with the land once The Big Bad Wolf is removed?

A3 We are considering several options, but are not ready to discuss future plans at this time.

Q4 Why not let fans of The Big Bad Wolf ride the coaster during Howl-O-Scream?

A4 Choosing Labor Day to close the attraction gives fans one last chance to ride the coaster without changing the park’s established timeline to dismantle this major attraction.

Q5 Should guests have any concern about the removal of the Loch Ness Monster, which is older than The Big Bad Wolf?

A5 The Big Bad Wolf's ride dynamics and the fact that the coaster has reached the end of its service life were contributing factors in the decision to retire the ride. Loch Ness Monster is a more conventional coaster that does not experience the same ride dynamics as The Big Bad Wolf. Besides, it’s hard to think of a better use for the Loch Ness Monster site than to continue serving this classic coaster.

Q6 Why are you removing a ride without having its replacement ready to announce?

A6 It's not unusual for theme parks to remove rides and not immediately announce a replacement attraction. Besides, we are opening two new attractions in 2009, which represent a significant park investment. We opened Sesame Street Forest of Fun this spring, and we are looking forward to Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration, which opens after Thanksgiving.

We aren't going to let this go with out a fight please go over to http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/BBWSAve and sign with your first and last name, Thanks

Ps Robb if you read this can you highlight on title page.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

EDIT!!!

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT!!!!

Even more LOL!!!!

I just read the petition. I says:

Goal = 1,000 people.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

Does you have any idea how many people visit BGW every day? Or even annually?

OMFG! 1,000 people signing a petition! "Well, then, we better re-think our plans of demolishing the rolly coaster!"

I mean, 1,000 people? That's your goal? That's only 1/30 of TPR's members! Let alone probably about 1/40 of the people who visit the park EVERY DAY!

Seriously. That peition is a joke. Get like 500,000 people to sign it and then color me impressed.

--Robb

^

Come on guys. You all can fight, but it will just annoy them. They are a huge business, I doubt they will stop huge planning just because of some stupid online petition.

--James

Especially when they know full well that every coaster enthusiast who signs that petition will come back ASAP to ride the new coaster they build if only to get the credit.

I'm sure BBW held a special place for a lot of people, but honestly that section of the park needs an overhaul and BBW with its age and costs is part of that. I'm excited to see what they do in the future.

BBW has always been a bit of a maintenance nightmare from what I understand. One of my coworkers had a son who worked there as a tech a few years back. One day, this coworker mentioned to me that no one could make her ride the Big Bad Wolf because her son had to "weld it back together" each night.

Take that for what it's worth, folks.

I'll still miss it, but nothing lasts forever.

You sound like a parent there, Scott.
lol.

^ Exactly.

The thing I love the most about stories such as this is the underlying hypocrisy of people. Let's just say, for instance, that there were small undetectable and/or unnoticed stress fractures that had slowly been developing at the base of one or more supports of the final drop over the Rhine.

Then, on the busiest park day of the summer, disaster strikes as two supports simultaneously collapse under the pressure of the swinging train. The train plunges into the Rhine, and 28 are trapped by their restraints, and subsequently drown.

Immediately, we have a 50 page thread about how Busch/InBev were negligent fools who should've closed this coaster years ago.

I love America.

BBW has always been a bit of a maintenance nightmare from what I understand. One of my coworkers had a son who worked there as a tech a few years back. One day, this coworker mentioned to me that no one could make her ride the Big Bad Wolf because her son had to "weld it back together" each night.

Take that for what it's worth, folks.

I'll still miss it, but nothing lasts forever.

lmao, that's classic.

I'm primarily a lurker here but this news makes me really, really sad.

Why not give BBW a complete overhaul/renovation? Surely technology has advanced in the last 25 years that this could be done.

BBW is a classic and truly should be preserved. It's one of those coasters that I thought would always be around. Now, I will never have the opportunity to ride it.

lol.

^ Exactly.

The thing I love the most about stories such as this is the underlying hypocrisy of people. Let's just say, for instance, that there were small undetectable and/or unnoticed stress fractures that had slowly been developing at the base of one or more supports of the final drop over the Rhine.

Then, on the busiest park day of the summer, disaster strikes as two supports simultaneously collapse under the pressure of the swinging train. The train plunges into the Rhine, and 28 are trapped by their restraints, and subsequently drown.

Immediately, we have a 50 page thread about how Busch/InBev were negligent fools who should've closed this coaster years ago.

I love America.

You know, on my first ride and almost every ride after I have the thought in the back of my head that this 25 year old ride has to give out to stress at some point. That drop over the river seems like something that would be insanely stressful to the coaster. Oh yea and the drowning thing scares me too.

I think it's sad that what is probably the best suspended coaster on the planet is being removed, but I do have to admit that it's the least best coaster at BGW. It's sad that the only real family coaster there is being removed, but we don't know that another family coaster isn't coming. Heck, maybe a new coaster would even have a drop down to water level as a Big Bad Wolf tribute.

With this land and the land Drachen Fire used, I think a new country or a huge expansion is an exciting idea, even if it takes a few years to happen. My only concern is landscaping actually. I love Griffon, but it did sort of make that area of the park tree-less, or at least it was when I last went last year.

lol.

^ Exactly.

I love America.

You know, I didn't think of that. I was thinking just ground shifting... but putting it back together every night? OH BOY! Yes, I must say that I wouldn't want a situation like above... in the end, smart of BBW to put an end to this one. One missed credit, but my life is more important than a coaster.

lol.

^ Exactly.

I love America.

You know, I didn't think of that. I was thinking just ground shifting... but putting it back together every night? OH BOY! Yes, I must say that I wouldn't want a situation like above... in the end, smart of BBW to put an end to this one. One missed credit, but my life is more important than a coaster.

I'm sure my coworker's comment was a bit exaggerated--I didn't mean to freak people out here.

LBJim, hope I gots your name right, have you ridden the coasters you mentioned? Yeah Draggin' Iron isn't that great, but Vortex? Vortex began my love of suspended coasters, and every time I have come off it, I love it even more.

Yep, I've ridden the suspended coasters mentioned. Although I admit I haven't visited CW or ridden Vortex in about 10 years, while I visit SFMM, BGW, and CP on average every 2-3 years. (Toronto trips are mostly during hockey season when CW is closed).

Vortex and Ninja are fun, decent rides, but nothing special to me. On the other hand, Big Bad Wolf has some unexplainable emotional attachment. It was my first suspended and I've enjoyed it ever since. I suppose it might be similar to Vortex's attachment for you.

Some people's favorite suspended is Big Bad Wolf; for others it's Vortex or Ninja. That's great. To each their own. Enjoy.

Scary situation to think of, but I don't see how a support collapsing would cause the train to fall into the river...

I just went with the first far reaching hypothetical scenario I could dream up. Yes, it's close to impossible, but I used it to prove a point.