TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

^I never understood why more parks didn't build PowderKegs!!!!

Everyone know's I'm not the biggest S&S Arrow supporter, but that ride was amazing, and such a great 'big family coaster'.

It would be perfect for tons of places including a replacement for BBW.

I can only assume that there's something very wrong with it, or S&S that it didn't take off.

Exactly...and KD has TONS more for kids to do than BG.

BG will have TWO coasters that don't require a height of 54" to ride, along with less than ten family rides.

KD will have at least TEN coasters that don't require a height of 54" to ride, along with nearly 30 family rides.

So in other words, I don't really understand the point you were trying to make.

Dude, I think you're just stuck in a 15 year old enthusiast's frame of mind. I'm not saying that's wrong, I'm just saying that you don't have another frame of reference with which to view the situation yet.

For instance, here's one you might be able to relate to, given your location. I'm right in the middle of Dollywood and SFOG. I can tell you without any level of uncertainty that most parents in this region who have children under the general height limitations for SFOG's major rides will undoubtedly choose Dollywood for a park visit over SFOG.

Does that mean SFOG doesn't have enough to keep the younger ones interested while the grownups enjoy their day too? At least not in my opinion. Dollywood is just generally regarded as a more complete, well rounded, and overall friendlier park to visit for the family. It doesn't hurt that there is plenty to do outside of the park.....and I'm not even counting the "redneck Kissimmee," otherwise known as Pigeon Forge/ Gatlinburg.

Think of it this way, the Smoky Mountains are to Dollywood as Colonial Williamsburg is to BGW. Parents aren't scouring the parks' internet sites for height restrictions when planning their vacation days. Sometimes it's simply more than just thrill rides. In many cases, it's actually just word of mouth from other parents.

Again, I'm not faulting you. You're still young. I'm just trying to give you a different perspective.

Excellent post !!!!!!

I was thinking pretty much the exact same things, as I was reading through the past few pages. Teenagers naturally have an egocentric mindset that makes it difficult to comprehend other points of view.

As a theme park loving mom of 3 kids under 10 years old, I most definitely look at a which parks have the "whole package." I can also tell you that most parents with younger kids prefer a more "family oriented" park, which translates into a park that isn't overrun with rude teens.

I haven't been to these parks yet, but I can't wait to go to Dollywood, and we'll be driving right past SFOG to go there.

And, for the record, my 8 year old and 6 year old will tell you that Epcot is their favorite WDW park. That's right - they prefer Epcot over Magic Kingdom!

Now tell me, how many kids do you know that are interested in hand-crafted objects and shows about European culture?

You only needed to be with us at Dollywood to watch the amount of hours spent by KidTums doing things just like this that were not rides.

Please try to look at parks outside of what your personal tastes are. *YOU* may not go to parks for shows, crafts, and culture, but do you think that parks would put on these expensive attractions if nobody was interested?

Do not underestimate the amount of money put into non-ride experiences and the amount of people who appreciate them.

If everyone who visited parks thought exactly like you, BGW wouldn't have the million plus people per year that visit the park over KD.

--Robb

I see where you are coming from, and I think many of you are misinterpreting my posts. I'm not the typical "rude, egotistical teenager" that I've apparently been labeled as...it's pretty much the exact opposite, really.

I LOVED Dollywood, SDC, and BGA. In fact, I enjoyed all of them just as much, or even better than parks such as CP, KI, SFOG, and CW. I love well-rounded parks---rides are great, but for the place to be truly amazing, in my opinion, it must also feature other attractions, such as quality shows, interactive activities, great food selections, and a unique atmosphere...but I have just come upon that mind-set fairly recently.

As all of you have noted, I'm still young. And honestly, as a smaller child, I couldn't care LESS about anything other than rides, and through my observations, this is the same way for MOST kids. I was just pointing out that, although BGE may be a more well-rounded park, KD obviously has more to do (in way of rides) for kids under the 48" mark. Therefore, it only seems logical to me that more families will opt to visit KD, who continues to add family rides, instead of BGE, who has decided to remove its premier family roller coaster.

Powder Keg is one of my favorite coasters that I've ridden, and I too don't understand why no other parks have built a ride like it. IIRC, it only has a 36" height requirement...something like that would be a perfect addition to BGE.

I can now as an adult start to truly understand why the park chose to remove Drachen Fire. But removing the Big Bad Wolf....that is just a slap in the face. I know that it may not be the big draw anymore, but what a terrible way to crap on your park's best hidden gem. I thought that the park wasn't capable of this sort of thing but they obviously proved my worst fears to be true. This ranks up there with 20K Leagues Under The Sea as the worst ride removal in history! But I guess that BGW loves whatever records that they can possibly claim for their attractions so maybe there will be a plaque in BBW's spot proclaiming just that.

This news is disgusting. I've never been overly upset over the removal of any ride or coaster that has occurred during my lifetime but this one is just not good at all.

Especially when the park handles it like they have. If you're going to remove the coaster also known as the soul of your park, you don't announce it one and a half months in advance. I don't know how serious the maintenance issues must be for them to pick a specific date in September that it just can't go any further, but you can't just kill the coaster and have it sitting there looking operable on September 8th unless you've announced it at the beginning of the season . It'd be much easier to get over this one if it was closing at the end of the season, I can promise you all.

This ride is way to important to warrant a press release of 202 words. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the Coney Island Cyclone doesn't get a thread as many pages as this one when it retires.

I'm not the typical "rude, egotistical teenager" that I've apparently been labeled as

I don't think anyone was referring to you as a rude, egotistical teenager.

I was referring to the scientific fact that teenagers, developmentally, are ego-centric. The brain isn't fully developed until the early 20's, and during the teen years, it is difficult to see beyond one's own limited experience. That is just basic developmental psychology, not a personal attack.

This is an example of an ego-centric thought: "as a smaller child, I couldn't care LESS about anything other than rides, and through my observations, this is the same way for MOST kids"

Your observations are very limited, but you are not seeing it that way. You are extrapolating your limited experience to generalize to "MOST," which simply isn't true.

And I'm sure you know exactly what I mean when I talk about parks overrun by rude teens. That in no way is an implication that you, yourself are rude, just because you happen to be a teen.

I see where you are coming from, and I think many of you are misinterpreting my posts. I'm not the typical "rude, egotistical teenager" that I've apparently been labeled as...it's pretty much the exact opposite, really.

As all of you have noted, I'm still young. And honestly, as a smaller child, I couldn't care LESS about anything other than rides, and through my observations, this is the same way for MOST kids. I was just pointing out that, although BGE may be a more well-rounded park, KD obviously has more to do (in way of rides) for kids under the 48" mark. Therefore, it only seems logical to me that more families will opt to visit KD, who continues to add family rides, instead of BGE, who has decided to remove its premier family roller coaster.

For the record, I dont think, you in any way, resemble the other teenagers that post in this forum. Im talking about the ones that make comments such as "my home park is better than your home park" or the ones that repeat old jokes over and over. You are obviously far more mature and offer plenty of insight behind your statements. I enjoy reading your posts and actually agree with much of what you have to say. In your case, age is not a factor.

^I never understood why more parks didn't build PowderKegs!!!!

Everyone know's I'm not the biggest S&S Arrow supporter, but that ride was amazing, and such a great 'big family coaster'.

It would be perfect for tons of places including a replacement for BBW.

I can only assume that there's something very wrong with it, or S&S that it didn't take off.

Really? I didn't know this...

All joking aside, I have to agree with the general opinion about an S&S launcher, and hopefully they'll take the terrain into consideration.

I was not able to read all 20 something pages here yet, but I was wondering.... Everyone talks about why cant BG just fix the wrong...

This coaster is built on hills and rocks etc? I was thinking that it is also not just wear and tear on the parts, but possibly the ground has shifted into making this an unsafe situation? The elements do change over time, and eventually coasters that are built upon uneven terrain (like that one up in the woods, the name eludes me right now...the woodie...ugh) must go?? Just a thought....It is sad though, because my first trip there will be next year... and I have never ridden one of these before.

Just out of curiosity, but how many people have contacted the park saying that they don't want The Big Bad Wolf to be removed?

I hope not a lot. Like Robb said, the last thing the park probably wants to hear is a bunch of coaster nerds complaining. And I agree with that 100 percent.

--James

And, for the record, my 8 year old and 6 year old will tell you that Epcot is their favorite WDW park. That's right - they prefer Epcot over Magic Kingdom!

You've raised some smart kids, Mo. Smart kids, I tell ya.

I was just pointing out that, although BGE may be a more well-rounded park, KD obviously has more to do (in way of rides) for kids under the 48" mark. Therefore, it only seems logical to me that more families will opt to visit KD, who continues to add family rides, instead of BGE, who has decided to remove its premier family roller coaster.

And see this is exactly the dilemma parks like SF and KD will continue to face. If you polled a large section of GP parents, you'd probably find that while SF is trying desperately to become more "family friendly," they're still, much like KD, just that park you see from the highway with mountainous rides more suited for the teenage demographic.

In truth, both KD and SFOG may indeed have enough rides suitable for the smaller children in a family, but most parents aren't up on this. Most will base their decisions on where to go from past experiences or word of mouth.

When you're labeled something, it's very tough to change that image. Both Dollywood and BGW, while they do have their larger thrill ride offerings, continue to have a warmer, more inviting family atmosphere with better balance. And plus, when KD is obviously planning on advertising the hell out of their new giga (or whatever it is), that doesn't necessarily scream, "Hey, come check out our fantastic array of under ''48 family rides" now does it?

As for what may eventually replace it, I like the Powder Keg-type idea. But I'm wondering if that newer Vekoma family invert that Erik highlighted in his recent TR to Oklahoma might be a good choice....perhaps on a slightly larger scale. Obviously not the same footprint, but utilizing some of it? Just a thought.

You've raised some smart kids, Mo. Smart kids, I tell ya.

I was just pointing out that, although BGE may be a more well-rounded park, KD obviously has more to do (in way of rides) for kids under the 48" mark. Therefore, it only seems logical to me that more families will opt to visit KD, who continues to add family rides, instead of BGE, who has decided to remove its premier family roller coaster.

And see this is exactly the dilemma parks like SF and KD will continue to face. If you polled a large section of GP parents, you'd probably find that while SF is trying desperately to become more "family friendly," they're still, much like KD, just that park you see from the highway with mountainous rides more suited for the teenage demographic.

In truth, both KD and SFOG may indeed have enough rides suitable for the smaller children in a family, but most parents aren't up on this. Most will base their decisions on where to go from past experiences or word of mouth.

When you're labeled something, it's very tough to change that image. Both Dollywood and BGW, while they do have their larger thrill ride offerings, continue to have a warmer, more inviting family atmosphere with better balance. And plus, when KD is obviously planning on advertising the hell out of their new giga (or whatever it is), that doesn't necessarily scream, "Hey, come check out our fantastic array of under ''48 family rides" now does it?

As for what may eventually replace it, I like the Powder Keg-type idea. But I'm wondering if that newer Vekoma family invert that Erik highlighted in his recent TR to Oklahoma might be a good choice....perhaps on a slightly larger scale. Obviously not the same footprint, but utilizing some of it? Just a thought.

The Vekoma Family Invert idea sounds like a reasonable plan too. As long as it has a custom layout of course with a drop over the Rhine River

^ lots of complaints from parents and adults. Local news shows covering the removal and people calling in angry. It actually generated a surprising amount of negative media for the park.

I never understood why more parks didn't build PowderKegs!!!!

The whole time I've been reading this thread, all I was thinking of was Powder Keg (it helps that I was just there). A ride like that is perfect for families (not toddlers, *families*). Buccaneer Battle at SFGAm is in the same place. We need more of that .. we certainly don't need another testicle-busting flying coaster.

And yeah, I'm sad that BBW is going. But you know I look around the 3 Busch parks I've been to (BGA, BGE and Sea World Orlando) and I love those parks. I trust their decision.

Cameron.

We aren't going to let this go with out a fight please go over to http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/BBWSAve and sign with your first and last name, Thanks

Ps Robb if you read this can you highlight on title page.

I don't know if I can recall the last time an online petition truly changed anyone's mind. Sure, it's nice to see how many people don't want the coaster removed, but like I said before, the park obviously has (what they consider) a good reason for its removal, and I doubt that a list of names is going to stop them in their tracks.

As someone said before, I love the Busch parks and as much as it sucks that they're removing the BBW, I'm going to trust their decision, even though it may take a few years for their plans to fully materialize.

Does anyone know how Six Flags was convinced to save Whizzer ?

I'm glad someone brought that up. While it probably won't happen in this case, it does show that public outcry can sometimes spare a ride from removal... or at least delay it.

But an online petition isn't the best way to go (speaking from experience).

DAMN!! While not unexpected, the Labor Day closing of BBW is still a shock. I was planning a trip to BGW in October to ride it for (possibly) the final time. Looks like I have some major schedule re-arranging to do.

It was sad but not that great a deal when XLR-8 and Astroworld closed. I wouldn't mind if Ninja (SFMM) and Vortex (CW) shut down. And they can tear down Iron Dragon (CP) tomorrow for all I care. But a little bit of my heart will be torn away with BBW's demise.

Almost as much fun as riding it was watching it in motion, especially the final drop over the river. I'd sometimes stand on the bridge over the river for a good 15 minutes watching train after train make that descent.

You'll be missed, BBW.