TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

And you know what Busch Gardens is famous for though? The atmosphere, quality, and the shopping. Busch Gardens seems to be very popular with seniors also. And I doubt the seniors really care about if a coaster is there or not.

The shopping. KD doesn't have stuff out of Europe. Busch Gardens has not only the shopping, but decent prices and quality stuff.

The atmosphere. Amazing landscaping. Places to just sit down and have a beer while listening to music. KD doesn't have that like Busch does.

The shows. I remember watching some of the shows at Busch Gardens. They are amazing. Does KD even have a few shows. Most adults who go to these parks, love watching the shows.

The quality. I've been to many, many parks around the U.S. And Busch stands out in my mind because of the quality of your surroundings. Even most of the staff seemed top-noch. I've heard that KD's staff are average.

Sorry, but Adults and the Seniors probably out do the teens. Also, the little kids probably couldn't care less which park they go to.

Like was already mentioned, if you took out all the coasters. You would still have huge attendance due to everything else Busch has that KD doesn't.

--James

And you know what Busch Gardens is famous for though? The atmosphere, quality, and the shopping. Busch Gardens seems to be very popular with seniors also. And I doubt the seniors really care about if a coaster is there or not.

The shopping. KD doesn't have stuff out of Europe. Busch Gardens has not only the shopping, but decent prices and quality stuff.

The atmosphere. Amazing landscaping. Places to just sit down and have a beer while listening to music. KD doesn't have that like Busch does.

The shows. I remember watching some of the shows at Busch Gardens. They are amazing. Does KD even have a few shows. Most adults who go to these parks, love watching the shows.

The quality. I've been to many, many parks around the U.S. And Busch stands out in my mind because of the quality of your surroundings. Even most of the staff seemed top-noch. I've heard that KD's staff are average.

Sorry, but Adults and the Seniors probably out do the teens. Also, the little kids probably couldn't care less which park they go to.

Like was already mentioned, if you took out all the coasters. You would still have huge attendance due to everything else Busch has that KD doesn't.

--James

I couldn't agree more. Prior to this trip, I had never been to Kings Dominion, but I had been to Busch Gardens multiple times. While Kings Dominion definitely has some decent coasters, Busch Gardens is a complete experience. I felt like Kings Dominion didn't have much of anything BUT rides. While I liked the rides at Kings Dominion, I'm not in any hurry to go back anytime soon. On the other hand, I go to Busch Gardens every other year. So, while rides are important, they don't make the park.

^As for shows, I think Busch puts on better quality productions. They have great animal shows at SeaWorld and BGT. Katonga is a great Broadway-esque show for those wanting to kill time. I can't say for BGW's shows but they're quality compared to the stuff I see at CF parks.

As for shopping, Busch parks certainly do have stores selling some nice and expensive one of a kind gifts. The giftshop outside the Tuts Tomb exhibit at BGT has a lot of expensive decor.

^Exactly...which is why my FAMILY will be visiting KD next year, not BGE.

I think a lot of you are getting it backwards. Parents couldn't care less about which park they go to; they will visit the park that their kids want to visit. (And with KD's new gigacoaster, that is where many of them will want to go.)

Now, do I think KD's attendance will rise above BGE's next year? No. But I DO believe that KD will draw many potential visitors away from BGE (such as my family).

I think a lot of you are getting it backwards. Parents couldn't care less about which park they go to; they will visit the park that their kids want to visit. (And with KD's new gigacoaster, that is where many of them will want to go.)

Sure, *IF* they meet the height requirement. That's the whole point of the discussion.

By the way, to those of you sitting on pins and needles about KD's attendance numbers for next season......99.9% of the country has no idea who, what, or where Kings Dominion is....nor do they care.

The slight increase in attendance numbers next season will reflect the members of the GP within the park's advertising range that may not have been to the park since Dominator was installed. After that, things will gradually return to normal.

Unless this new coaster shoots fire, kills Heidi and Spencer, solves the health care issue, or all of the above, it's not gonna bring in a million more visitors.

^Exactly...which is why my FAMILY will be visiting KD next year, not BGE.

Now, do I think KD's attendance will rise above BGE's next year? No. But I DO believe that KD will draw many potential visitors away from BGE (such as my family).

I don't think anyone's getting anything backwards. Different families visit different parks for different reasons. If you like atmosphere and shows, then BG may be your park.

By the way, to those of you sitting on pins and needles about KD's attendance numbers for next season......99.9% of the country has no idea who, what, or where Kings Dominion is....nor do they care.

The slight increase in attendance numbers next season will reflect the members of the GP within the park's advertising range that may not have been to the park since Dominator was installed. After that, things will gradually return to normal.

Unless this new coaster shoots fire, kills Heidi and Spencer, solves the health care issue, or all of the above, it's not gonna bring in a million more visitors.

Just to add to this, I really hope Cedar Fair does some off-season renovating for KD. While it doesn't need to be Busch-quality, CF needs to do something to make me people say,"That was a really nice, clean park. We'd go back even if there weren't a 300 foot monstrosity to ride."

Sure, *IF* they meet the height requirement. That's the whole point of the discussion.

Exactly...and KD has TONS more for kids to do than BG.

BG will have TWO coasters that don't require a height of 54" to ride, along with less than ten family rides.

KD will have at least TEN coasters that don't require a height of 54" to ride, along with nearly 30 family rides.

So in other words, I don't really understand the point you were trying to make.

assuming that CF's goal is indeed to make KD the "Cedar Point of the East Coast".

So, we're gonna have THE Cedar Point

The "Cedar Point of the East Coast" (KD)

AND "the CP of the South" ??? (Carowinds also said this)

That's two too many Cedar Points if you ask me...

^^

I don't know. But since adults and seniors are the majority, and they do, then I think Busch will always remain to have the most attendance.

But I think you are more talking about what park is better now, and not which one will have the most attendance? Well that argument will never end since it's all matter of opinion.

--James

Chuck, or anyone else that could be of help, I have a couple of questions for you.

First, I have never ridden Big Bad Wolf or even been to BGW for that matter, and I am attempting to plan to get to there in August. I am coming from Phoenix, and will only have the evening of August 8th to be at the park.

I am assuming that with a concert on a Saturday night, the place will be packed.

Do you know of any good discount coupons available locally, or I am stuck with the $50.00 twilight admission?

How good is the Quick Queue system there and do you think it would help us to get onto most of the coasters in that short of a time period?

Thank you.

Jeff

Exactly...and KD has TONS more for kids to do than BG.

BG will have TWO coasters that don't require a height of 54" to ride, along with less than ten family rides.

KD will have at least TEN coasters that don't require a height of 54" to ride, along with nearly 30 family rides.

So in other words, I don't really understand the point you were trying to make.

Dude, I think you're just stuck in a 15 year old enthusiast's frame of mind. I'm not saying that's wrong, I'm just saying that you don't have another frame of reference with which to view the situation yet.

For instance, here's one you might be able to relate to, given your location. I'm right in the middle of Dollywood and SFOG. I can tell you without any level of uncertainty that most parents in this region who have children under the general height limitations for SFOG's major rides will undoubtedly choose Dollywood for a park visit over SFOG.

Does that mean SFOG doesn't have enough to keep the younger ones interested while the grownups enjoy their day too? At least not in my opinion. Dollywood is just generally regarded as a more complete, well rounded, and overall friendlier park to visit for the family. It doesn't hurt that there is plenty to do outside of the park.....and I'm not even counting the "redneck Kissimmee," otherwise known as Pigeon Forge/ Gatlinburg.

Think of it this way, the Smoky Mountains are to Dollywood as Colonial Williamsburg is to BGW. Parents aren't scouring the parks' internet sites for height restrictions when planning their vacation days. Sometimes it's simply more than just thrill rides. In many cases, it's actually just word of mouth from other parents.

Again, I'm not faulting you. You're still young. I'm just trying to give you a different perspective.

^^ There's currently a promotion where you can get an adult ticket for a children's ticket price. It's only a $10 difference, but it's something. The promotion is actually on Busch's web site. I think it's $39.95 as opposed to the $49.95 regular admission. So, it's probably the same price as the twilight, but you obviously have more time at the park. That's what we used this weekend.

Edit: I provided more info.

Such a shame, to remove a classic loved coaster without a stated replacement or reason for improvement.

A classic loved coaster such as the Matterhorn or BBW should never be removed due to the 'end of service life'.

If Lance's comments are true that Busch is aware and expecting the negative feedback and still continued on that path, it is a sad day.

I agree with the comments that Busch should have considered replacing the trains or other improvements before giving up. Disney's space mountain replacements are a great example, it made it clear that they wanted to improve yet keep the experience the same, the BBW was legendary for its theme and brilliant execution. This is not the same as losing a cookie cutter arrow corkscrew.

They try to make it seem like they are heroic for giving one month's notice before close, but that is not enough. I am unable and I am sure that many are unable to get there on such short notice.

Just sounds like corporate speak for taking the easy way out. If SF can keep it's classic rides so should Busch. Especially when they and market the anniversary's of their rides, they take pride in their age, they should keep them as long as they can keep fans happy. And it is clear that BBW does exactly that.

Chuck, or anyone else that could be of help, I have a couple of questions for you.

First, I have never ridden Big Bad Wolf or even been to BGW for that matter, and I am attempting to plan to get to there in August. I am coming from Phoenix, and will only have the evening of August 8th to be at the park.

I am assuming that with a concert on a Saturday night, the place will be packed.

Do you know of any good discount coupons available locally, or I am stuck with the $50.00 twilight admission?

How good is the Quick Queue system there and do you think it would help us to get onto most of the coasters in that short of a time period?

Thank you.

Jeff

The park will be extremely busy on a Saturday. Buying your tickets online and printing them at home is your best bet for a discount. If the only day you can visit is Saturday, I recommend springing for Quick Queue (particularly if you can't get there before opening). Quick Queue includes all the coasters except the Loch Ness Monster--but you don't get your choice of seats. DarKastle, Le Scoot, and Escape from Pompei are also part of Quick Queue.

Now tell me, how many kids do you know that are interested in hand-crafted objects and shows about European culture?

You only needed to be with us at Dollywood to watch the amount of hours spent by KidTums doing things just like this that were not rides.

Please try to look at parks outside of what your personal tastes are. *YOU* may not go to parks for shows, crafts, and culture, but do you think that parks would put on these expensive attractions if nobody was interested?

Do not underestimate the amount of money put into non-ride experiences and the amount of people who appreciate them.

If everyone who visited parks thought exactly like you, BGW wouldn't have the million plus people per year that visit the park over KD.

--Robb

I think the next coaster the park could add, that could also be a family attraction is a S&S Launch coaster along the lines of Powder Keg at SDC. Powder Keg is a great ride that everyone of all ages can enjoy. It is intense enough for the thrill-seekers and not too intense for the younger crowd. As long as Busch themes it well (You know they will) I think this could be a great replacement for the Wolf. (I rather have the Wolf...but can't win them all.)

Just my 2 cents.