TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

A terrain woodie would completely fit the bill... hmm... if that was so, this could be better than I was thinking... (not good, but I like the thought of a wood coaster through the woods...) but it'll probably still be a flyer like Manta...

This notice really breaks my heart.

I´ve been trying to make a good trip to BGW since I was 10, but for several reasons I couldn't.

I became a coaster fan with a Video released in the early 90´s called "Roller Coaster Thrills" By Kodak.

On this video, the most spectacular coasters were "The Vortex @ Kings Island", "XLR8 @ Houston" (RIP), "Loch Ness Monster @ BGW", and "Big Bad Wolf @ BGW".

Those years, the historians claimed that with those Arrow Coasters, the american people lived in the 2nd golden era of roller coasters.

From my heart, I think that this is not only a loss of a roller coaster, but is a loss of history, the loss of a piece of art that inspired the newer coasters creations, the loss of millions of personal histories, and the loss of an atracction that brings happiness, joy, and emotions.

I want to share the Arrow Promotional Video of the BBW that was released in the early 90´s.

Thanks for reading... I will now go to a corner of my room and stay a few hours on fetal position...lol

I'll miss it, but I'm sure whatever they do with that spot will be better.

It was a fun coaster but not a coaster that was really re-rideable. When I rode it, I got a pretty good bashing. The ending drop was fantastic and the ride is a classic, but it was probably the worst coaster in the park.

IMO, Ninja at SFMM is much better.

Also, with KD getting a brand new coaster. Busch Gardens might be putting in a brand new coaster also to keep up with competition.

--James

So so so sad to see Bid Bad Wolf hit the chopping block! Knowing Busch's relationship with B&M it will be a fun layout and a cool looking ride that Busch will trim to within an inch of its life! The worst part being the fact that there is no hope for BBW to be relocated, because of its terrain usage! I really hope to see a new ride design put in, but im thinking a B&M Flyer or Sitdown Looper! but only time will tell!

You will be missed

Big Bad Wolf 1984 to 2009

25 years of traveling at the speed of fright!

I have a thing for Arrow suspended coasters, even though I've only been on Iron Dragon and BBW.

I had the chance to ride Big Bad Wolf two years ago and I thought it was a fantastic ride! Everyone that rode it left with a smile. Kids and adults could ride it together, it was really the perfect family thrill ride.

I thought it was one of the best coasters at BGE. Apollo, Griffon, Lochness, and Alpengeist were all trimmed beyond belief! (To the point where there was NO air on Apollo). Though Big Bad Wolf was hardly trimmed at all! The only trim was on the final drop, but it only touched the last car, and was hardly noticeable (Besides that horrible scraping noise).

It is definitely sad to see this ride go, especially when my partner and I were going to go to the park next year. He really wanted to ride an Arrow Suspended, too.

This is really sad for me to hear, and frankly I am surprised by it. A lot of people considered BBW to be the best suspended coaster in operation.

I never got to ride it, but still am sad to see it go.

This is the park thread, so first I'll give my BBW opinion then a good story.

I will personally miss the ride very much, but I feel even more for all the kids who will grow up with fond memories of this ride and come to find it was removed. I would love to see a custom B&M terrain flyer take it's place as long as it features a face down river drop and turn. It think it could be done, there is enough room to make a large diameter turn along the Rhine and make the forces bearable. Alas! We won't know for a while.

I'm just glad they aren't removing Nessy. I have even better memories of that ride. Four or so years ago I got to ride Loch Ness for the first time and it was incredible. My mother and I got into the station at the end of the night in a pouring rain storm. Cracking lightning bolts were threateningly close, and there were only two other people in the loading area. We figured they wouldn't load us because it was obviously unsafe with all the electricity in the air. But they did. It was the most incredible ride I've ever had on a roller coaster. We rode up the hill with lightning cracking and thunder booming. It felt so fast and so amazing in the darkness, and the final tunnel helices took us out of the rain to dry for a minute. After we unloaded we wanted to buy the picture very badly, but they told us "Sorry, we shut the cameras down to protect them from lightning." WTF?

I know all of you are claiming how great it will be to have a terrain B&M Flyer replace BBW, but I for one think that's a terrible idea.

Busch is such a nice family park, and I really feel the ride should be replaced by another 42'' height requirement ride. I mean, it would kind of suck to go from BBW, to a foot taller requirement ride!

I feel bad for all the little kids who rode it this summer and will find it gone next summer with a "sorry, go try the kiddie coaster in the Sesame Street Area" sign.

Perhaps a nice big spinner or even a 'fixed up version' of the S&S Tranan thing?

Again, seeing all of these parks through a 'non-enthusiast' eye, I really think they should get a middle of the road ride, not a giant 54'' B&M.

Also, with KD getting a brand new coaster. Busch Gardens might be putting in a brand new coaster also to keep up with competition.

While I know the two parks are only a couple hours away, how much do they really compete with each other?

Seems to be like a very different demographic at each park whenever I've visited.

--Robb

^ Don't even say that. Arrow's vertical loops are in a league of their own, I love them! The intensity in the front or back rows is awesome! (Though, they don't touch Schwarzkopf)

As people have mentioned before, a medium sized wooden coaster that uses the terrain would be a nice addition. I can just see a Hercules style turn over the water. A custom Intamin Plug-and-play would be excellent! They could totally have that at a 42" high requirement.

While I know the two parks are only a couple hours away, how much do they really compete with each other?

Seems to be like a very different demographic at each park whenever I've visited.

--Robb

The demographic is indeed very different. As crazy as it may sound, these parks don't have to worry about competing with each other.

BGW patrons are for the most part from the Hampton Roads area (Williamsburg eastward) due to the booming military population here, not to mention the free pass we get once a year . KD doesn't draw many visitors from this area, but they have DC to their north and Richmond/Petersburg to their south. Both fairly large metro areas.

These parks have their own metro areas surrounding them, and don't directly compete with each other...for now

I've lived in the Hampton Roads area for a little while now.

I know all of you are claiming how great it will be to have a terrain B&M Flyer replace BBW, but I for one think that's a terrible idea.

Busch is such a nice family park, and I really feel the ride should be replaced by another 42'' height requirement ride. I mean, it would kind of suck to go from BBW, to a foot taller requirement ride!

I feel bad for all the little kids who rode it this summer and will find it gone next summer with a "sorry, go try the kiddie coaster in the Sesame Street Area" sign.

Perhaps a nice big spinner or even a 'fixed up version' of the S&S Tranan thing?

Again, seeing all of these parks through a 'non-enthusiast' eye, I really think they should get a middle of the road ride, not a giant 54'' B&M.

As my favorite comedian would say "F*ck the children!". I'm not paying $50+ for mild rides (Ok, maybe I am also, but that's besides the point! ). BBW had some intense moments and that's what I loved about it. If they are tearing it down, it better be for a kick-as* coaster. I want an intense terrain coaster, no messing around. If they are going to replace such a great ride, it better be with something BETTER, not worse.

And yes, that is my enthusiast opinion. It's the only opinion I really care about.

As my favorite comedian would say "F*ck the children!". I'm not paying $50+ for mild rides (Ok, maybe I am also, but that's besides the point! ). BBW had some intense moments and that's what I loved about it. If they are tearing it down, it better be for a kick-as* coaster. I want an intense terrain coaster, no messing around. If they are going to replace such a great ride, it better be with something BETTER, not worse.

And yes, that is my enthusiast opinion. It's the only opinion I really care about.

It's very possible to build a BBW Replacement that is enthusiast-friendly WITHOUT Raising the height req.

I mean, look at Phantoms Revenge, it's over 200ft and 60mph and STILL can be ridden by the average themepark family WHILE being a pretty intense ride

Does anyone think its crazy for me to take a random weekend trip out to the park so I can get my credit before it closes?

I'm really considering this, It'll only cost around $500. However I dont want to do it alone.

I was considering it myself... it would be roughly a 13 hour drive each way... but I only have 3 definite free "weekends" (my days off) before it closes... the other "weekends" I have other trips (one of which takes me to Hershey Park... but I'm considering going to BGE instead...) If you are a coaster nerd and have the extra cash, then I say go for it... you won't regret it... BGE IS a beautiful park... and has some incredible rides (minus one soon...)...

--Robb

The demographic is indeed very different. As crazy as it may sound, these parks don't have to worry about competing with each other.

BGW patrons are for the most part from the Hampton Roads area (Williamsburg eastward) due to the booming military population here, not to mention the free pass we get once a year . KD doesn't draw many visitors from this area, but they have DC to their north and Richmond/Petersburg to their south. Both fairly large metro areas.

These parks have their own metro areas surrounding them, and don't directly compete with each other...for now

I've lived in the Hampton Roads area for a little while now.

BGW is also located in a much more "touristy" area--Colonial Williamsburg. Yorktown, Jamestown, Virginia Beach. Even the Outer Banks of North Carolina aren't that far away. It's usually a part of a complete family vacation.

I'm not that disappointed with BGE removing BBW. I mean they would only remove a great coaster to replace it with something great right? I don't believe that KD is in competition with BGE however BGE probably realizes what KD is getting next year & would like to throw something at KD. I've ridden BBW 8x & did find it enjoyable. I doubt I'll be able to visit BGE before the Christmas Town event so it looks like 8x on BBW is it for me. I'm definitely looking forward to the announcement for what is replacing BBW.