TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

I am really surprised of all of the uproar of the closing of the Big Bad Wolf, though I guess I can understand it. Busch is looking to compete with whatever is coming to Kings Dominon in 2010, so at least Busch Gardens will have a replacement. My true opinion, is good riddance, Big Bad Wolf was quite boring, but I do feel for everyone who had a lot of good memories on that old Arrow.

Busch is looking to compete with whatever is coming to Kings Dominon in 2010.

Highly unlikely. But let's be civil and wait and see what the attendance increase for KD is from 2009 vs 2010 and compare it to Busch Gardens Willimasburg's attendance change from 2009 vs 2010.

Although I've never rode BBW, it's disappointing to see it go. I sort of like Arrow's suspended coasters, and I haven't had the chance to make it out there to get on it. Hopefully something good will go in its place some day.

Busch is looking to compete with whatever is coming to Kings Dominon in 2010.

Highly unlikely. But let's be civil and wait and see what the attendance increase for KD is from 2009 vs 2010 and compare it to Busch Gardens Willimasburg's attendance change from 2009 vs 2010.

I really think this could be the restart of the coaster wars! It is a great time to be a Virginia Coaster Enthusiast.

^Not in this economy!

Who knows, we already know Cedar Fair should be handing out at least 3 roller coasters this year (Kings Dominion, Carowinds, and Canada's Wonderland). I think as long as lot of people continue go to Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens, they will continue to provide new, thrilling rides. But, Who knows, you may be right.

This really sucks. I finally got to ride the BBW back in spring of 2000 and I remember it and Apollo being my fave 2 rides at the park. I was hoping to take my wife and kiddo up there sometime in the next 2 years to ride it but I think this dismantling puts that trip on the back burner for a few more years. Ah well, BGW, you just lost my money for a while.

I really hope the new attraction would do the same dive over the river. I would hope they recreate that element with whatever is planned for that area. They could change everything else. I'm also wondering about Eagle Fortress in Everland if it was cleared to reopen or not.

For those of you who are concerned about the fate of Eagle's Fortress, I just recieved an email from Everland that said no decision has been made to remove that ride. Earlier in this year, there were no plans to remove this coaster as it was still open, so maybe it will stay around a little bit longer. I am sad to see THe Big Bad Wolf leave.

I'm very glad that I managed to get on this just recently. I had some of my best suspended coaster rides on it, and the light-free night rides were absolutely amazing. Suspended coasters have become one of my favorite types, and this is probably the best of those few I've been on. I'll be very sad to see it go. I hope to make it out there again sometime before it closes.

Now as for the replacement, I'm also hoping for a terrain woodie.

Being a fan of suspended coasters, I'm sorry to see BBW go. Unfortunately, I have not had the chance to visit BGE and ride it. . But it does raise the question as to how long Ninja will be at SFMM. If indeed 25 years is the service life of this type of ride, Ninja has less than five to go, being that it's 21 now.

At least we have videos of it. And I'm sure Busch has some good plans for the space opened up.

Eric

Wow this is horrible news. I never got to go to this park. Please do not replace it with a Manta/flying coaster! I am not a fan of these types of rides. I always wanted to experience that last drop over the river on BBW.

This doesn't sound good. According to Lance at Screamscape:

So why are they removing the Big Bad Wolf so early then? From what I’ve been told (off the record) it is because that when they do get around to announcing the unimpressive lackluster plan that is in place, they would rather have the Wolf be only a memory and a non-issue, rather than face the negative feedback from park guests.

Not sure what you guys think of that site or Lance around here but he's generally on the money about this stuff from my experience. He makes some other good points in his write-up over there.

I'm thinking that if this is correct, perhaps they're not going to replace it with anything for a while, just a bridge to that side of the park as was mentioned earlier in this thread.

^Not in this economy!

Who knows, we already know Cedar Fair should be handing out at least 3 roller coasters this year (Kings Dominion, Carowinds, and Canada's Wonderland). I think as long as lot of people continue go to Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens, they will continue to provide new, thrilling rides. But, Who knows, you may be right.

Blasphemy! This ride is an icon (to me at least). I'm totally disappointed. I was planning on visiting BGW in late Sept and now I'm going to miss the closing of BBW by a matter of weeks? Oh no.

I'm kind of shocked they would actually take out a ride that is the signature of the park. When I think BGW, like most, I think of those bright yellow interlocking loops over the lake and that amazing drop along the river to the left. It's going to be a shame.

They better not build a flyer. I can't stand flyers, they put me to sleep. If they are going to put in another coaster (which they better) I'm hoping for a terrain woodie with tons of speed and air or a great Intamin terrain.

Please do not replace it with a Manta/flying coaster!

It would be the most logical choice especially if they plan on using any of the already existing terrain for a new coaster.

At this point, I would be surprised not to see a B&M. It seems to me, that after Drachen Fire, that is the only builder they are comfortable with. At this point, they have crossed off Dive Machine, Inverted Coaster, and Hyper Coaster from the B&M checklist. And I doubt they will be getting a Looper (hard to match with Wolf's terrain), a Floorless (Dominator at Kings Dominion) or, a Stand Up (last was built 11 years ago). That leaves a Flyer, a woodie from some other manufacturer, or finally a Vekoma Launcher (we will see in due time if they trust Vekoma with more than a kiddie coaster). All of those would make make happy.

I'm kind of shocked they would actually take out a ride that is the signature of the park. When I think BGW, like most, I think of those bright yellow interlocking loops over the lake and that amazing drop along the river to the left. It's going to be a shame.

They better not build a flyer. I can't stand flyers, they put me to sleep. If they are going to put in another coaster (which they better) I'm hoping for a terrain woodie with tons of speed and air or a great Intamin terrain.

They mentioned on their FAQS page that Loch Ness will not be going anywhere anytime soon (though after BBW, you have to take everything they say with a grain of salt). I doubt they will go with Intamin, simply because after Drachen Fire, they seem not to trust anybody with their steel coaster except for B&M.

Please do not replace it with a Manta/flying coaster!

It would be the most logical choice especially if they plan on using any of the already existing terrain for a new coaster.

That just seems like a REALLY bad idea.

Removing the ONLY family coaster in the park and replacing it with a gigantic B&M just isn't right.

That just seems like a REALLY bad idea.

Removing the ONLY family coaster in the park and replacing it with a gigantic B&M just isn't right.

This whole thing is a really bad idea! I'm sure the bean counters are at work at BGE.

Like everyone else, I am sad to see BBW go, it was one of my first major coasters and always loved it. The return to the station after that second drop always surprised me.

Hopefully they have a good plan for improving the park, and personally, I hope it IS NOT a flyer. I'm just not a fan.

If they didn't want to continue to put money into maintaining BBW, I'm not sure a wooden coaster would be a very good idea (unless of course it's Intamin). I'd love to see a great terrain wooden coaster back there, but I doubt they do that.