TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

That's a real shame...but given the state of most Arrow suspended coasters that are still left, it's not surprising they have to close it.

I personally think that BGE has enough Beemers. I'd like to see the replacement be something different, like anything from either Intamin or GCI.

Today is a sad day in the rollercoaster world. I don't understand how they could do this. I thought BBW and LNM would be at the park for many more years to come. BBW is what added to the experaince of the park, it was a different coaster that utilized terrain. It's sad to see another Arrow Suspended Coaster go. There is a hole in my heart right now lmao .

BBW was my first coaster ever, so sentiment abounds. But catch this: I say "TAER IT DOWN."

The themeing is the only thing that made it happen. As a ride all by itself it was pretty jerky and uncomfortable. I can only imagine Busch Gardens putting in something much better.

The world's first suspended roller coaster took coaster design to a new level when it opened in 1984.

Obviously, Big Bad Wolf was not the first suspended coaster. It wasn't even the first modern day one. It was just the first one that lived. So by that logic, by next year, Big Bad Wolf will never have existed and Cedar Point will have the first suspended coaster.

Don't mind me. I'm just bitter.

Oh well, at least I'll finally be able to decide whether Busch Gardens Williamsburg or Indiana Beach is my favorite park.

It will be missed. This whole ride type will be missed once they're finally all gone.

Ok well this sucks. Because I was planning to go up there next summer Well lets hope they replace it with something great!Sad to see it go but o well.

Was my plans as well to hit Busch Gardens Europe, KD, Carowinds, FMP and other area attractions.

Guess I now have a small side tour to make on the drive to Chicago from Orlando next month.

This news has saddened me also. Having grown up in the area I can still remember the excitement of seeing the commercials for the Big Bad Wolf on TV the year before it opened. I couldn’t wait to ride it – and ride it I did, I have probably been on it EVERY year since it opened. It was also the first roller coaster my son rode when he was 3. My wife told me not to, but we rode it together – and he loved it.

When I first saw the rumor on Screamscape, I thought I may start a website or Facebook page to save the ride. (We all know how successful they have been in the past) But, the more I thought about it, the more I see how it must be done in order for park expansion. It is just a shame that this year after Labor Day the only coaster my son will be able to ride is Loch Ness Monster because he still falls short of the height requirement for the rest.

The article says it has reached the end of its "service life", not life... There is no doubting its popularity... seems like perhaps its a maintenance issue and not a popularity issue... I'm sure its getting tougher and tougher to get parts for this ride when it needs it... overall so very sad though...

It was very vauge about why they are taking it down, just that it had reached the end of its life, a little more explaination would be nice.

Every coaster at a Busch park has a "Born On Date." This one simply reached it's stale point. Same thing happened with Python a couple years back. The next time you ride a coaster at a Busch park, look closely at the first support outside the station. The date is located there.

It was very vauge about why they are taking it down, just that it had reached the end of its life, a little more explaination would be nice.

Every coaster at a Busch park has a "Born On Date." This one simply reached it's stale point. Same thing happened with Python a couple years back. The next time you ride a coaster at a Busch park, look closely at the first support outside the station. The date is located there.

Sorry if I sounded stupid, but what exactly is a "born on date"? Is it the date the ride becomes a maintenance nightmare? Or is it technically the date the ride opened and Busch is just placing it there to let people know that the ride will be torn down soon?

I'm really upset by this news.

I just got my first rides on it in the beginning of July. It gave so much more than I expected. Such a great use of the terrain. This ride is the only one i've ridden that has turns that make the trains really swing out. The theming is great aswell.

I'm so upset to see it go.

Sorry if I sounded stupid, but what exactly is a "born on date"? Is it the date the ride becomes a maintenance nightmare? Or is it technically the date the ride opened and Busch is just placing it there to let people know that the ride will be torn down soon?

I'm just gonna quote this so I have it preserved for all time.

I really hate to see this ride go. I enjoyed every ride I've had on BBW. I ride it fairly often since it's my home park, but I don't see why they're removing it. It's not rough IMO, and it provides a pretty good thrill. I can't say I've ever had a bad ride on BBW, and that's saying a lot for an Arrow that's 25 years old.

I'm just gonna quote this so I have it preserved for all time.

Now that you have it preserved, should I help him out?

Also, now that this thread has become the Official BGW Discussion thread, what would people like to see come to the park? There have been rumors of a park expansion around Drachen Fire (and that the subtraction of BBW would help provide a better walkway). Other rumors include the possible construction of an uber B&M Flyer--taller and bigger than Manta. I know people are sad to see BBW go but this could also be an excellent opportunity for the park.

Having two classic Arrows at the park is what added to the charm of BGE. You had the newer age B&M's then you has the older Arrow classics. It was the best of both worlds. We better cherish LNM now before they go and remove that one on us too.